Chapter Forty-Four

Song Mentioned: Comethru by Jeremy Zucker (This song always makes me think of Hawks for whatever reason. Give it a listen!)

You woke up the next morning when the sun shone through Keigo's bedroom windows. Your eyes fluttered open and you held up your hand to shield your eyes from the beams of sunlight that shone through the curtains. You turned over in bed and realized you were lying there alone. Slipping from under the sheets, you pulled some lounge clothes from your bag and put them on. 

Music floated to you from the kitchen and you followed it through the apartment. When you rounded the corner, you leaned against the wall and clasped a hand over your mouth. Keigo was moving around the kitchen cooking breakfast wearing black sweatpants that clung to his hips. He was dancing...and singing.

Now I'm shaking, drinking all this coffee

These last few weeks have been exhausting

I'm lost in my imagination

And there's one thing that I need from you

Can you come through, through?

You giggle in the hallway and the sound catches his ear. He turns to face you with a coy smile and rubs the back of his neck. You smile and walk over to him in the kitchen. 

"Good morning," you coo and kiss him on the cheek.

He chuckles and pulls you into an embrace. "Good morning, songbird."

You laugh and poke him in the chest. "I'm not the only songbird around here. You've been holding out on me Keigo Takami."

"Oh well," he stammers. "I uh, don't sing much in front of people. I don't like feeding into the whole bird stereotype thing." He laughs nervously. 

"I guess I can understand that, but you sound great," you shrug.

He smiles and starts to sway you around the kitchen to the music. "I'll gladly sing for you, my love."

You giggle as he spins you around and dances with you around the kitchen. He pulls you to him and sings along with the rest of the song. His eyes never leave yours and you feel your chest flutter as you return his loving gaze. 

Can you come

Through, through

Through, yeah

And there's one thing that I need from you

Can you come through?

You laugh as he dips you low for a kiss and pulls you back to your feet. You clap and he bows with a hearty laugh. The two of you finish cooking breakfast together and sit the food on the countertop. Keigo sits next to you at the kitchen island atop the barstools and beams a smile at you. You smile back at him and your face flushes slightly.

"What?"

He tucks a strand of hair behind your ear and props his elbow on the counter, placing his chin in his palm.

"This reminds me of the first night we spent together," he says softly.

Your smile widens and you nod. "Yeah, it is like that isn't it?"

"We've come a long way since then."

"We have," you agree.

You glance over at him and see he's still looking at you with those golden eyes full of love. It makes your heart want to leap out of your chest with joy. You had to admit, it felt great to be with him like this again. You weren't sure what you had been afraid of and why you had been so hesitant to let things go back to the way they were. Keigo loved you so much and you had the same love for him in return. He would never hurt you and he had promised to never lie to you again, no matter what.