Chapter Thirty-Nine

Your laugh rings out into the night as the two of you sit on top of the roof. You've laughed so much that your stomach muscles are starting to hurt. Keigo smiles at you and watches your face light up. It gives him so much joy to see you like this...yourself again. You look at him and tuck a strand of hair behind your ear.

"What?"

"I'm just glad to hear you laugh again," he says.

You smile and look away, chewing your lip a little. You bring your drink to your lips and take a generous sip. He takes a small sip from his beer and rests it against his knee. His wings twitch a little on his back.

"Thanks again for the drink. It was needed," you sigh. "Tonight was...heavy."

Keigo nods. "Yeah, it was." He looks at you, his eyes filled with love. You still won't meet his eyes again, but he doesn't care. He's just happy to be with you. "Thank you."

You chuckle and look straight ahead, out across the city visible to you from the rooftop. "For what?"

"For allowing me to explain. I really am sorry," he says softly.

You take in a deep breath and nod. Your hands are resting on either side of you on the concrete. Your legs are dangling over the edge and swinging back and forth. Keigo looks down at your hand and his chest tightens. He wants to hold it so badly, but he doesn't want to run you off again...he just got you back...well maybe.

"Keigo."

Your voice breaks his thoughts and he looks up, greeted by your beautiful eyes staring at his face.

"Yeah?"

Your chest is rising and falling a little faster than before and he hears your heartbeat speed up underneath his feather. Your eyes flicker to his lips and he notices you moved a little closer to him.

"Um, am I still doing things that make you want to...kiss me?"

His eyes widen and he swallows hard. His mouth opens as his breathing becomes a little harder. He nods a little and his eyes glance down at your lips. You both subconsciously have been closing the distance between you. His fingers brush against yours and your shoulders bump into each other. It startles you at first and you flinch, but then slowly relax back into him.

"Then kiss me, silly bird," you whisper and a smirk pulls at the corner of your lips.

His lips are on yours in less than a second. His hands go to your face and you rest a hand against his chest. You deepen the kiss and melt into his touch. Your eyes feel warm and a small tear falls out of the corner of one. The wetness hits his hand and he pulls back, pulling his body away from yours.

"What is it, what's wrong? Are you ok?" His eyes scan you and his hands are frozen in the air.

You giggle and wipe the tear away. "Keigo, I'm fine. It's just...been a while."

"Oh, ok," he nods and rubs at the back of his neck.

You raise a brow at him. "I didn't say stop..."

His cheeks flush and his golden eyes swivel back to your face. You look at him expectantly and giggle again. He chuckles and leans in close. His hand cups your face and he kisses you deeply. You rub his arm gently, feeling his muscles through his flying jacket. You swirl your tongue into his mouth and he moans. His eyes flutter a little and he slides a hand up your back, pulling your body into his. You shift and lean into him, placing your other hand against his chest. He bites your lip gently and it's your turn to moan.

"Y/N," he says breathlessly, pressing his forehead into yours. "I don't want to push you... We don't have to go any farther than this right now if you're not ready."