Chapter Thirty-Eight

"Y/N," he said softly. He took a few steps towards you, a hand reached out.

You sniffled and shook your head a little, clutching your hands to your chest, phone in one clenched fist. "What are you doing here?" Your voice was barely above a whisper.

Keigo stopped and rubbed the back of his neck, looking down. "I um..." He took in a deep breath. He wasn't going to lie or sugarcoat anything. That was the entire reason he was in the situation he's in now. His golden eyes looked up to meet yours and he watched you flinch slightly. "Y/N, I've been at every show you've had since...since that night."

You blinked a few times and shook your head. "You...you have?"

He nods and slowly slides his hands into his pockets. His eyes flicker to you and he moves the feather around your neck to hover in front of your face. Your face flushes pink as you stare at it. He lets it fall back to your chest.

"Oh that," you say. "I-I couldn't bring myself to take it off."

He takes another step towards you, hands going up in defense. "No! It's ok, really. I'm...I'm glad you didn't." He grins.

You look down and nod. Keigo sighs and chews his lip a little. The silence between you is filled with things you both want to say. You let your quirk activate and you can feel all the emotions surge through him. He's nervous. He's scared. He's hurting. He feels guilty. He longs for you...he loves you.

"Keigo," you sigh and pinch the bridge of your nose.

"Y-yeah?"

"Why did you do it?"

He flinches from your hard tone. You're staring at him again, your eyes are unreadable, cold, and empty. He takes a deep breath and rubs the back of his neck, looking around.

"Y/N, I didn't," he says. You tilt your head. He lowers his voice. "He's not dead."

You shake your head. "What do you mean? I saw him." Your face is twisted into a sneer. You think he's lying again...but then you feel him out with your quirk and you don't find anything to back that up.

"Listen...I did lie to you. I know that. It was wrong, and I shouldn't have." He runs a hand through his hair. "But Jeanist...he's not dead. He's in a drug-induced comatose state to make the league think he's dead."

You stare at him. "I don't understand," you say softly.

Keigo sighs and swallows hard. His eyes find your face and they have that pleading look he had that night in the warehouse. "Look, I know you've been hanging out with him since we...well since we haven't, but Dabi is the one you have to blame for all this."

You curl your lip and scoff. "Ya know, you both really need to get over your jealousy bullshit. Unbelievable." You cross your arms over your chest and shake your head, starting to turn away.

"Wait," he says sternly. You stop and slowly turn your gaze back to him. "Please...just listen to me. And if you don't like what I have to say, or you don't believe me, then I'll leave you alone." He swallows hard and clenches his jaw. "For good."

You take in a deep breath and chew your lip in contemplation. "Fine." You turn back to face him head-on and you watch his shoulders relax as he lets out a breath he was holding.

"Thank you," he smiles softly. "The night that we had dinner in my office, I got that phone call. It wasn't the commission. It was Dabi." He sighs before going on, knowing that was his first lie that night. "The league said they had a mission for me to 'prove my loyalty' and it involved killing another hero. He called me and told me it was time...and he told me not to tell anyone. Specifically you."