64: Quiet Evening

"It's been a while since we've had a quiet evening at home, cooking together," Krethzirae remarks as she chops vegetables for our supper. She's not wrong, though no onlooker could tell from watching us; we work well together in the kitchen, and tonight's meal is one we've made many times before.

"Too long," I agree with a smile. "We have each had much to keep us busy. How is your brother doing?" She has dined with him more evenings than not since he came here with the others who volunteered to serve in Kedar-Jashun.

"Training here has been quite the experience for him. He's grown and improved quite a bit since he left Andelxiao, he tells me...just not quite enough to be sent in the first wave that's going to defend the tribes of the north."

"At least you've have more time with him, then, before he goes."

"That's true. It's been nice, having him here. We're both a little homesick."

Guilt wells up inside me. It's my fault they're both here. "I'm sorry—"

"Don't. It's all right. We all have to leave the nest sometime. And there are more opportunities here, I think, than there were back home."

From anyone else in Orenxiao, this would be a typical remark, but Krethzirae's not the ambitious type, and a secret little smile is playing about her lips.

"Opportunities for career advancement, or for finding a husband?" I ask teasingly. A hint of a blush graces Krethzirae's cheekbones.

"Perhaps both. Time will tell."

"You've met someone promising, then?"

"I mean...maybe. You've met him, too, a few times. Amrhion. I know not whether he has any interest in me, beyond the camaraderie of the Orenzhanim, but we talk on patrols, when we're assigned together, and...well...I could certainly do worse." She really likes him.

"That's true."

"You approve, then?"

"I don't know him well enough to say, truly. But if you like him, I see no reason not to...explore that option in your ongoing quest."

"The quest of all unmarried women," she corrects me, her expression darkening. I shrug and turn away, busying myself with the rice to avoid having to make a reply. She speaks the truth, more or less, and I can only imagine the pressure she, being unwed at twenty-five, must be feeling from all directions on this matter.

"It will happen when it's supposed to happen," she says brightly, as much to herself as to me. "I think these are done. How's the rice?"

"Ready. Let's eat, then. I'm starving," I reply. Thank you. Happier, more trivial things, please.

"So am I. Was it just me, or was training more difficult than usual today?"

"It wasn't just you. Every time they have us train with the volunteers, I thank Heaven that I'm not numbered among them."

"AZERAI!" Thariyae interrupts shrilly as she bursts through our front door, slamming it against the wall so hard that our bowls rattle on the table, where we've just set them to make ready to eat.

"What? What's the matter?" I ask, rushing to meet her and immediately regretting it; today's horseback riding left my legs rather sore, and Thariyae's expression is like a storm cloud.

"I think you know very well what the matter is," she hisses. Her eyes are burning with a volatile cocktail of emotions; her chest is heaving like she's been running, but she's dressed like a salora.

"Another of your...mandatory family dinners—"

"Not just 'another' one. I came here from the Yrivvior's palace."