50: Family Practice

"Thank you for the meal, Azerai,"Alderon tells me with a smile. "I believe your culinary skill improves every time I get to eat some of your cooking."

"All skills improve with practice," I answer modestly. It has been a while since I have cooked for the Umathyari household. Cezarya is out with Jorabij and Ansohnya Umathyar declined to sup with us, so it is just Alderon, Zelphinon, and me at the table.

"You must cook often at home, then."

"Yes. Krethzirae and I often cook together." I wonder whether I should tell him that Thariyae avoids housework and cooking whenever she can and decide against it. He has seemed happier lately, and I see him with Sazhmira somewhat frequently. I do not want to ruin that.

"I suppose you and I will have to start doing the same, Zelphinon."

"You think she's going to go through with it?" Zelphinon asks, no doubt referring to Cezarya.

"Jorabij spoke with me this afternoon about planning for their wedding."

He moves quickly, I almost say aloud but bite my tongue instead. It was only yesterday that Jorabij and I spoke in the watchtower about his plans for the future.

"They're planning to do that soon, then. Are you all right with that?"

"I was foolish, in the Academy, with my prejudice against him. He has more than proven his worth since then. Do you have any reason they should not do as they wish?"

"Not at all. Only that it is very soon, but...." Zelphinon glances at me quickly, then returns his attention to Alderon, but no one here is ignorant of his meaning in that. "It would have to be, since they intend to become the Molongun tribe's new firohni."

"The zaikaritim will have their work cut out for them, to maintain the old traditions against such a force as the two of them together."

"It will be a losing battle, I think," I remark, "though that will not stop the zaikaritim from fighting it."

"I agree, on both counts," Zelphinon nods.

"Forgive me, but I must ask. Does Ansohnya Umathyar know of their plans?"

"Not yet," Alderon answers, "but she will know soon enough. All three of us are in agreement that she should travel back to Kedar-Jashun with Cezarya when the time comes."

"The zaikaritim stand to like that even less than Cezarya's and Jorabij's values."

"We can do nothing else. She would not stand to live in a house with just Alderon and me, since the trading expedition," Zelphinon points out sourly. "She does not acknowledge me and speaks to Alderon only when Cezarya is not available to play the messenger."

"That sounds miserable."

"It certainly can be, but that stands to be water under the bridge soon enough," Alderon says in a tone that prohibits exploring the topic further. "We needn't spend any more time on subjects that do not bring joy."

"Then may I ask about your session with the healer today, Zelphinon?"

Zelphinon's countenance brightens considerably at my words. "Ansohnya Avizhaisken is a pleasure to work with. All the work today was routine, but just watching her work is instructive enough. I've never seen someone more efficient and confident in healing practices."

"You said Avizhaisken, yes? Any relation to the blacksmith-healer who gave me this?" Alderon interjects, gesturing meaningfully with his metal hand.

"She is his mother. He works in the same practice part-time, when he is not doing regular smithing."

"Incredible. You are blessed indeed, to have been placed there."