Wine

"Impertinence is the one thing I cannot abide." - Anna Henrietta

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This vampire have you ever faced it's sort before?" Damien asked as they all rode along the country side.

Geralt glanced at (F/N) before speaking, "I have."

"How did it end?" Anna asked, "Did you kill it?"

"Didn't have to fight him, hadn't killed anyone," the older witcher added.

"Have you ever heard of anyone defeating such a vampire?" She asked, a hint of worry in her voice.

(F/N) immediately nodded, "Yeah, I know of one guy. He fought plenty of vampires. He killed a couple."

Anna glanced at the young witcher examining his expression, her face changed, as if she slowly realized something. But if she did she never let on. They all sat in silence as they rode through the dark countryside, there were fields of grapes as far as the eyes could see, all of them bathed in the moonlight. And even now people were grabbing the fruits off of the vine. But the only sound other than their conversation were crickets.

As they grew closer to the vineyard, Geralt finally spoke again, "Tell me more about this vineyard - Castel Ravello?"

The Duchess' eyes lit up, "It's the best in all Toussaint. An old master of the winemaking trade runs it - Fabricio."

"He trustworthy?"

"He's held his post for years. There's never been a problem until now..." she replied with a dark expression on her face.

As they got closer, the vineyard came into view, it was a massive set of buildings that were industrialized to produce as much wine as possible. The Duchess seemed to get more curious, "I wish to know your thoughts, Geralt. The Sangreal stain - how did it wind up on the paper? Is someone from the vineyard blackmailing the vampire?"

Geralt shrugged, "It could be a servant, a steward, or maybe it was just stolen from the estate."

"We shall know when we arrive."

As soon as they arrived a man with incredibly expensive and flashy robes came to greet them, he smiled when he saw Damien, "Captain de la tour!" He said with a large smile, "We did not expect any visitors from the palace. How are affairs at the court?"

The Captain's expression darkened, "Doubtless you've heard of the Beat of Beauclair. Well, we've our hands full. Especially since the rouge last attacked in the palace gardens."

The man, who (F/N) assumed was Fabricio, turned red, but not out of concern for Her Grace, but out of fear for himself. The young witcher immediately knew the wine maker knew something, "I...Trust Her Illustrious Highness was not harmed...?"

"Kind of you to ask, Master Fabricio. I am well," the very woman he spoke of interrupted.

Fabricio's eyes widened, he had never seen the duchess without her crown, he especially hadn't seen her in cheap black robes with holes and stiches in them. He was at a loss of words for a moment, "Your Grace...W-We were not warned. I shall order the salon prepared at once."

(F/N) smiled as he watched the Duchess approach the winemaker, "That won't be necessary. As you can see, we are not here on an official visit."

The winemaker swallowed and smiled awkwardly, "Naturally. Might I ask, then, what has brought you to Castel Ravello?"

Now it was Geralts turn to speak, "We're here for an inspection. We've got questions. You'll answer them."

Fabricio glared at the witcher, (F/N) heard his heartbeat speed up, "And who are you, sir, to speak to me this way?"