S4 Part 16 - Your Hero

"You shouldn't have been able to get here so fast," Kai said, sounding mildly impressed.

Mirio's eyes zoned in on Eri, but then he saw you holding her, and his face softened the slightest fraction, "I took a shortcut... (Y/N), are you okay?"

Hearing his genuine concern crushed you. You haven't seen each other since the party, and he was such a warm ray of light in these dark tunnels that you gravitated towards him. Kai was quick to put a stop to that.

His hand left your back and clamped around your arm, even so, you didn't let Mirio see that he frightened you.

"I'm okay..." your voice sounded strange beneath your mask but you were glad he had recognized you.

You didn't know what to say first - take Eri and run! I'm sorry I've been hiding from all of you all this time. I'm sorry in general? Get this damn mask off my face and kick Overhaul's ass!

"You need to hand them over, Chisaki," Mirio said, still breathing heavy.

"Oh. Going to play hero, now, Lemillion? Where was this gusto before?" Kai asked.

Before? You looked between the two of them. What was he talking about?

"I'm here to save them."

Kai scoffed at that, "You think Eri wants to go anywhere with you? After you abandoned her the first time, why would she trust you?" He paused, "It must be killing you, and you were with my wife the night she was attacked too, weren't you? You're not a hero at all. This is all just to clear your own conscience."

"Wife..?" Mirio clenched his fists.

You shook your head, "Don't listen to this nut job!"

"Don't be embarrassed," Kai drew you and Eri closer to him, with his arm like a barrier, "It's not like the boy has feelings for you... right?"

When he moved to stroke your cheek with his hand you turned away. You weren't putting up with the fake, affectionate crap in front of Mirio.

"Why would you wanna break up our happy little family, Mr. Hero?" Kai asked in mockery of Mirio and himself.

Mirio looked pale, like he was sick to his stomach, "Get your hands off her..."

"Or what, you gonna take me on."

"I won't deny that I've been carrying around guilt all this time," Mirio's determined gaze didn't hide his pain, "But I'm also here to make sure they're safe from you. If I have to fight you, I won't hesitate."

Kai sighed, "I'm not getting through to you. Let me be more clear..."

He moved gracefully at first, but then shoved you back, away from Mirio. All but blowing the hero off like he was nothing but a nuisance, "You're going to die down here."

Before Mirio could come any closer, he lost his balance, almost as if the floor moved from beneath him or he tripped on his red cape. You checked if Overhaul had sprung an attack of some sort, but his gloves were still on.

A maniacal cackle from above startled you and Eri. It was the greasy-haired man, Sakaki, hanging from the pipes. Whatever his quirk was, it seemed to be making Mirio dizzy and disoriented.

"Get rid of him," Kai said, and Nemoto reappeared as well. A confession quirk shouldn't kill him, you thought, but that gun he was holding sure could if he wasn't paying attention...

Kai kept urging you forward but at the same time, Kurono started reaching for Eri. She went limp, still shivering but silently surrendering, like she was used to this.