S3 Part 33 - A Proposal

When you returned to the dorms, Shinso was waiting for you. He sat on the couch in his loungewear, having changed out of his "jogging" clothes, and his head shot up when he saw you walking through the door.

The mood was a little tense. Since no one was hurt, all seemed well, but your story unsettled the cozy students of UA. A few of your roomies sat at the kitchen table gossiping in hushed tones. The way everyone whispered felt like you were walking into church.

You made your way onto Shinso's lap. His strong arms brought you in like a bodyguard-teddy bear.

"You sure you're okay," he asked for the fifth time since this morning.

"Haven't died since the last time you asked me, so, I'd say I'm pretty good."

"Who was it? Did you see?"

"No," you said, "My guess is some rando with a ghost quirk or maybe this incubus guy? I tried googling incubus quirks earlier... Everyone thinks I'm a rare breed but if he can possess people then he's in an entirely different league."

Shinso let out a troubled breath, "I'm sorry that I wasn't..."

You met his eyes, the doubt that you desperately wanted to burry away and ignore crept back into your heart. "Where were you, anyway, Hitoshi?"

"... Blowing off steam."

"The night after we... I mean, I guess other things could've occupied your mind last night too. But to leave and not tell me?"

"I planned to be back before you even woke up," he said.

"Why does it have to be so sneaky, though?" You asked, "Is that how it'll be every time? We have sex and I think everything is fine but then wake up alone and worried about where you are at freakish hours?"

Shinso flinched, "That's not what I want."

"It is just running... isn't it?"

You hated this feeling. It made you want to throw up. Shinso was always your person. You could go to each other for anything, you trusted him, and now you were questioning him.

It wasn't just what Bakugo said. It was a feeling in your gut. An annoying voice shouting from your stomach and echoing through your heart valves. You hated it. You hated it so much. But you couldn't ignore it either.

"I... Could we talk? Real talk. Later, though?" He asked.

His eyes shifted to your fellow classmates. Your heart sank. What was your worst fear? That he was already cheating on you? He decided he didn't love you after all? Or he's doing something illegal?

He wouldn't... he worked too hard to be where he is now.

"Promise?" You felt your heart breaking, but held yourself together.

"Yes. I promise," he said.

"Okay..."

You leaned in to kiss him, but it didn't hold the same passion from last night. It felt like he was slipping away, and you only just grabbed onto him.

I don't want to lose you, now...

"I, um..." you cleared your throat, "I'm going out shopping with the girls, so, I'll see you before the party?"

"Yeah. I'll wait for you."

You have a weak smile and got up to leave. Just before you were out of earshot, Shinso added;

"Always."

You tried your hardest to be positive while on your girl's trip to the mall. Mina made it easier, since she was always a ball of energy. You're entire class of girls traveled from one store to the next, trying on different dresses - mostly for the hell of it.