12

Waking up, dad was gone but that was no surprise he has a business to run.
Sitting in the lounge, I looked at the pictures that dad had up on the wall. All of mom and I. Photos from mom holding me as a baby to both of us standing with our arms around each other. The days that were so fun, so simple, full of so much love. Leaving my dish on the coffee table, I stood up going to the photo of the three of us. Mom was standing on the left and dad was on the right while I stood in the middle with a long blue dress on and my hair up in a bun. If I remember correctly, it was someone's wedding that day, I just can't remember whose.
Going to see mom's grave is something I need to do. I never got to say goodbye. I don't even know how she died, I never asked. I don't even know if I want to know.
Putting the photo down on the mantle piece, I grabbed my plate and took it to the sink.

Looking at my phone, I checked how far the cemetery is from our place. Hmm only five kilometers. I can run that.
Putting my phone in my pocket, I walked to the bathroom brushed my hair then put it up.
Grabbing my keys, I put them in my pocket then left the house.

Arriving at the cemetery, I stopped at the gates just looking around. This is where my mother is buried? This place is huge. Slowly walking around the cemetery, I looked at every single tomb stone that I had walked past. two young girls laid beside each other and it hurt, I could've been one of those. Samara and Carli. Wait? The twin girls that came into the cage? It can't be. those girls had the same names but they weren't identical. I didn't think they were siblings or twins for that matter.
"Hi, do I know you?" Looking at the lady, I shook my head "no I don't believe we have met" "did you know my daughter's?" I swallowed the lump in my throat. "Samara and Carli are your daughters?" the lady nodded with a sad expression "I lost both of them nine years ago" putting my head down the memories in the cage came crawling back like they were raw.
"What is your name?" "Mandy" "Mandy do you know what happened to your daughters?" "They went missing and both were found.. two years later in Bushland" "this might sound crazy but I was there when they.. when they died" "WHAT?" "I seen how they died" the tears fell. "I was in that cage. I seen so many woman die in front of my eyes. I could've been one of them, I was close to being one of them. Every girl that came in, I tried to help them" "what is your name?" "Malena" "Malena?" Looking up, Mandy had tears running down her cheeks "do you know how they died?" I nodded "it was.. they were.." shaking my head I didn't want to tell Mandy. "They fought until the end Mandy. they teamed up, they had each other" standing up I looked at Mandy "can I show you something?" Mandy nodded. Removing my jacket I then removed my shirt "oh my god" Mandy looked at me with tears running down her cheeks. "I was in there for four entire years. I remember your girls, I remember all the girls that entered. I'm sorry I couldn't help them" Mandy shook her head as the tears covered her cheeks "no... You... I can't believe you survived whatever you went through how old were you?" "I was taken at the age of twelve" Mandy nodded. Putting my shirt and jacket back on I wiped the tears from my cheeks. "Are you here to see them?" "Actually no but seeing their names on the tomb stone..". "Malena?" "Dad" "I thought.. who is this?" "Dad this is Mandy, Mandy this is my dad emiliano" Mandy only nodded "as I was saying I seen their names and I knew it was them. And I'm so sorry" "you have nothing to be sorry for but I'd love to see you again" I was shocked "why?" Mandy only shrugged "I don't have my girls anymore but you are the same age they would be and.." "I think that would be fine".
"Malena what is Mandy talking about?" "Mandy's daughters were in that cage dad. I was coming to see mom and when I seen their names on the tombstone... I just couldn't walk away. I tried to help them, I tried my hardest" "hey it's okay" I nodded at Mandy "I can give you my number" Mandy nodded and grabbed out her phone. Putting my number in her phone she gave me a sad smile "thank you Malena" I nodded as the tears kept falling "that's okay. I better go see my mom" Mandy only nodded then turned to look at the girls tombstone and knelt down still holding the bouquet of flowers.
Shaking my head, I continued to wipe the tears. "Are you okay Malena?" "I never expected to see Mandy, to hear she is the mother of samara and Carli. just remembering the day, it feels so raw" "you watched them die?" "All fifty eight girls that entered" "fifty eight?" I nodded.
Dad walked towards a grave never saying a word. Following him, when I seen mom's name I stopped. "Her grave is beautiful" "just like her" I nodded.
"How did she die?" "She was shot" the quickest way to die, I am thankful she wasn't tortured. Just standing in front of her grave I looked at every single detail from the gold trim to the gold lettering, the fake and real flowers that surrounded her tombstone. dad did an amazing job of choosing her tombstone.

"Anything you want to say?" I shook my head no. I didn't know what to say and I know if I say goodbye, it will mean she is gone forever. I never want to let her go.

"Ready to go?" "Yeah" dad nodded "what made you come here today?" "I was looking at the photos, I wanted to see her forever home" "I understand that. Would you like to go home or the den?" "The den".
"Tell me Malena are you using the drinks to cope?" "To push everything aside" "you shouldn't but if that's the way you want to deal with it for now, I will support you but just know if I see it getting out of hand, I will stop you" I nodded.
Good luck to him but sure, I will agree.

"You are back" "yep" ardo looked at me as I took a seat at the bar. "A drink?" I nodded. I didnt want to talk, I just need a drink.
"Bad morning?" Taking a deep breath I answered "Yeah.." "here" "thanks".
Sculling my drink, I put the glass on the bar.
Why did she have to be there today. I only showed her the scars because I couldn't tell her what they did to her daughters. The way they tortured them, raped them then slaughtered them.

Elias

What the hell is going on with Malena? She has held the glass in her hand for an hour. Ardo has tried to speak to her. Connor has tried and even Jess but she hasn't responded just kept her eyes on the empty glass that has sat in her hands.
"What the hell is happening?" "What?" "What happened to Malena?" "I don't know. don't ask me, she won't speak to anyone" "what?" I nodded at boss. Seeing him look at Malena then back to me he shook his head. "Not a good idea to go near her right now" "why not?, I want to help her" boss took a deep breath "she went to the cemetery today" "oh" "no it's not just because of vera" "what?" Boss shook his head "I will let her talk about it, if she wants to. Do you know how many drinks she has had?" "Just the one".
"Hey everyone" seeing Jax walk in he looked straight at Malena then at boss and i. Seeing him try talk to her, she didn't respond. When he walked our way, he looked at boss. "What happened to her?" I shrugged "let her tell you" "well I would but she didn't even answer m. what happened in here?" "Nothing Jax, it was before we came here. Just keep away from her right now" Jax had a look of anger in his eyes. "Did she fight with someone?" "No" it really worries me. boss knows what happened but he won't tell me, why won't he tell me? I have seen him like family since I was a kid, I care for her.
Hearing a glass smash, we all looked at Malena. She hadn't moved but the glass shattered in her hands "fuck".