197

It was dark and I was walking around the streets with tears since I'm crying again. I fell to the ground and I heard someone shout my name.

"Maddie!" Daryl shouted, running up next to me. I looked at him and he saw the tears. He pulled me against him.

"I can't stop crying Daryl. I miss him too much. I still don't want to believe he's gone. I don't want to accept it. Even after all these years, I don't want to accept that he's gone, I just can't. I don't know what to do. No matter how hard I try, I can't move on." I said

"I know Maddie. But he'd want you to be strong. You've got to be strong for him." He said.

"Why is mommy crying Uncle Daryl?" Rick Jr. asked.

"She misses your father." He told him.

"Mommy, please stop crying. Daddy's still with us mommy, that's what you always told Liam and Judith." Rick Jr. said.

"I know sweetie but it's just hard for mommy to accept it." I said.

"Come on little man, let's get your mom to her bed." Daryl said. He picked me up bridal style and carried me back to the house with RJ following beside him. He laid me down on the bed and covered me with the blanket. "Why don't you sleep next to your mom tonight little man?" He said.

"Okay." RJ said, climbing on the bed and snuggled up against me. I closed my eyes to try to sleep and soon I ended falling asleep.

I was walking down a dirt road by myself and I heard a familiar voice behind me. I turned and saw Rick walking towards me. He stopped in front of me.

"Rick." I said. He smiled before I hugged him tightly, scared to let go. "I miss you so much." I said.

"I miss you too Maddie." He said, hugging me back.

"I gave birth to another boy and I named him Rick Jr." I told him. "I wish you could meet him." I said.

"I see you did. And I wish I could meet him." He said.

"Why did you have to leave Rick? We could have helped you." I said.

"I wanted to stop the herd from going across the bridge. I wanted to keep you all safe. I couldn't let anything happen to any of you." He said.

"I understand. How's Carl doing?" I asked.

"He's doing great, he misses you." He said.

"I miss him too. I miss all of you." I said. "I can't accept that you're gone Rick. I've tried so hard but I can't. You helped me through everything that's happened but now you're not with me. I don't know how much longer I can go on without you." I said, starting to cry.

"You have to keep going Maddie. For Daryl. For Judith, Liam, Rick Jr. They all need you with them, they can't live without you. You're their strength. You show them that no matter what happens, they'll get through anything. You're their role model Maddie. I'm never leaving you, I'm still right here." He said, putting his hand on my chest where my heart is. "I'll always be there, guiding you through. I'll always be watching over you. I know you'll do the right thing because you always did." He said.

"But it's harder without you there next to me. I need there with me. It may have been six years after your death but I can't seem to get over it. My mind keeps reminding me what happened to you. It's like it's happening all over again and I keep reliving it." I said. "I know I have to let you go but I can't. I can never let you go, I just can't." I said.

"I know it's hard Maddie. But you'll get there, I know you will. I believe in you. Everyone does." He said. "Now go, the kids needs you with them now." He added, starting to walk away.

"Rick wait." I said, running to him. I hugged him and he hugged me back. "Judith is just like you. She even has your Python. She acts just like you." I told him.

"I bet she is. I did raise her with your help." He said.

"I love you Rick." I said, slowly letting go.

"I love you too Maddie. Always will." He said, before disappearing.

I opened my eyes and saw the sun shining. I sat up and remembered the dream. I got out of bed and got dressed. I woke the kids up since they have to go to school soon. I gave them breakfast and they left after they finished eating. I made another plate and got a cup of orange juice. I took them down to Negans cell and I saw he was awake.

"I brought your breakfast." I said.

"Thanks Maddie. How are you feeling?" He asked, walking over.

"Better I guess." I said. I sat down on the floor with my back against the wall. "Negan, have you ever had a dream where you were talking to someone you loved that's no longer alive?" I asked.

"Sometimes I would. Why?" He responded. I looked down for a second then looked back up.

"I had one of those dreams. I was walking down this dirt road and I heard a familiar voice and when I looked behind me, I saw Rick. He was saying that everyone here needs me, especially my brother and the kids." I told him. "He said that I have to let him go." I added. I don't know why I'm talking to Negan like this but I guess I just feel like he'll listen to me without judging me.

"You'll let him go when you're ready. It takes time for you to let go of someone you've loved and cherished for so long." He said.

"Thank you Negan. You're a good listener." I said, looking at him.

"That's kind of all I can do since I'm in this cell." He said. I smiled a bit before standing up.

"I'll talk to you later Negan and thanks for listening." I said, walking out. I saw Alden and he walked over to me.

"Hey Maddie." He said, smiling.

"Hi Alden." I said.

"How are you?" He asked.

"I'm getting better and getting tired more." I said.

"That's understandable because you're taking care of three kids. Which reminds me, where's little RJ? I need to play with him." He said.

"He's in school at the moment. You can go pick him up early but he will have homework as always." I said.

"I get to pick the little warrior up." He said.

"You'll make a great father Alden. You're great with them." I said, smiling.

"You really think so?" He asked.

"I know so. From the way you are with them and they love you." I said. He smiled widely and walked away then stopped and turned back around.

"I love them too!" He shouted, going to pick up RJ. I chuckled and went inside to take a little short nap.