6

We were on the road to the CDC to find out if they're making a cure. I was having my doubts because I don't think anyone is alive there. Jim was in the back of the RV and his condition was getting worse. I was sitting across from Glenn and I can feel him looking at me but I didn't want to look up. I was too lost in my thoughts about everything.

I heard Jim cough again and I stood up then walked back and he coughed up more blood. He was losing color in his face and that doesn't mean anything good. Daryl was riding his motorcycle in front of us.

"He's getting worse. I don't know how much longer he has left until he turns." Jacqui said.

To be honest, I was sad about Jim being bitten even if we weren't close. He may have freaked everyone out especially the kids when he was digging the holes before the camp was overrun by walkers but I was still worried about him. The vehicles came to a stop and we got out while Rick and T-Dog helped Jim get out.

I was starting to tear up since we have to leave him here but he wants that and we have to do what he wanted. Daryl walked over and watched with no emotion on his face. I know deep down he was upset about what's happening but he doesn't want to show it. We left and was on the road again. I was looking out the window, watching the scenery go by. There's not that many beautiful things left these days except for the scenery.

After a few hours or so, we arrived at a huge building and it was the CDC. We got out and saw bodies everywhere and some were wearing army uniforms and some weren't. We had to cover our noses since the bodies were stinking up the area. We made our way to the entrance only to find the shutters closed.

"There's nobody here." T-Dog said.

"Then why are the shutters closed?" Rick said. "Someone has to be here for them to be closed." He added.

"He's right, if no one is in there the shutters wouldn't be closed." I agreed.

"But how do we know if someone's alive? They could be dead for all we know." Shane said. He's got a point but we can't jump to conclusions. "Come on, we can't stay here cause look." Shane said, pointing towards walkers coming our way.

"Shit." Daryl said, pulling his knife out. We started going back to the vehicles when Rick yelled.

"I saw the camera move! Someone's in there!" Rick shouted, gaining our attention.

"Rick, there's no one in there! Come on!" Shane said, grabbing Rick.

"No! There's someone in there!" Rick shouted. "Let us in! You're killing us out here!" Rick shouted again.

The shutters started to open and we went inside. We went farther until we were stopped by someone, aiming a gun at us.

"Anyone of you infected?" The man asked.

"No." Rick answered.

"You'll have to submit to a blood test." The man said. We all looked at him before he said something. "It's the price of admission." He added.

"We can do that." Rick said.

We all followed the man and he took a sample of each of our blood. Once we were all finished with the blood test, we were led to another room. The man turned to us and introduced himself.

"I'm Dr. Jenner." He introduced. He turned to the screen and turned it on. We were all sitting around a table eating since we haven't eaten for awhile.

"Mom, can I have some?" Carl asked, pointing at the glass of wine.

"No, you're still too young." Lori responded.

"In Italy and France, children can have a little bit of wine with their dinner." Shane said.

"When he's in Italy or France then he can have some." Lori said.

"What's it going to hurt?" Rick asked, smiling. We chuckled before Dale went over to him.

"Here you go young lad." Dale said, giving him some. Carl tasted it and made a disgusted face.

"Eww." Carl said, causing everyone to laugh.

"That's my boy." Lori said, dumping the rest into her glass.

We all finished and Dr. Jenner took us to show where we'll be sleeping. I was sharing a room with Daryl of course while the others went to the other rooms.

"Daryl, I'm going to take a shower I'll be right back." I told him.

"Okay." He replied.

I walked to the shower and stripped out of my clothes and got in. I was finally relaxing after a long time. The water felt good going down my body. I heard the door open and I saw Daryls head but it was turned towards the wall.

"I'm gonna go explore a little bit Maddie. I'll be right back." He told me.

"Okay, I'll see you when you get back." I responded.

He closed the door again and I went back to showering. I got out of the shower after I finished and put on some clothes. I was in the room brushing my hair when I heard the door being opened. I turned and saw Daryl walking back in.

"Maddie, I think it's best if you stay away from Shane because he's giving me a bad vibe." Daryl said.

"What do you mean?" I asked, curious.

"I can't explain it but he just does." He said.

Usually when Daryl gets a bad vibe from someone, he's usually always right.

"I'll try to Daryl but you know that's going to be hard since he's always around." I said.

"I know Maddie and I'll help keep him away from you." He responded.

"To be honest, I have noticed that he has changed." I said. "I feel like something was going on between Lori and Shane but when Rick came, Shane changed." I said.

"I know something was going between them but I can't say anything cause I may not be right." He said. We laid down to go to sleep.

"I also don't want to ruin their marriage even though I think it's already ruined when Rick finds out." I said.

"And we shouldn't be involved in their drama." He added. I nodded my head in agreement before we both fell asleep.