73

I woke up and saw Carl and Rick was still asleep. I walked to the kitchen and just sat at the table, lost in thought until I heard Carl.

"Maddie! Come quick!" Carl shouted. I stood up and quickly went back to the room.

"What is it Carl?" I asked.

"He won't wake up." He told me.

I walked over and put my ear on his chest and I heard slight breathing then I put two fingers against his wrist and I felt a pulse. I felt his forehead and he was a little warm.

"Go find me a towel and bring me a bottle of water." I said. He went to the kitchen and brought back what I needed. I wet the towel with a bit of the water and put it on his forehead. "That's all we can do right now. We have to wait for him to wake up." I said.

He stood up and walked away and out of the house. I heard walkers outside the door then I heard Carl. He must be leading them away but he shouldn't be doing it by himself.

"Please wake up Rick." I said, tears starting to fall down my cheeks.

I heard gunshots and I quickly ran out of the house after making sure the door was secured so no walkers can get inside. I ran until I saw walkers on top of Carl. I pulled them off after stabbing them in the head and threw them off of him. I helped him up and he walked away from me.

"Carl stop!" I shouted. He turned and looked at me. "What the hell is your problem?! Why are so mad at Rick?!" I asked, a bit too loud.

"Because we would've still had the prison if he killed the Governor! But instead all he did was talk to him!" He shouted.

"Your father was trying to reason with him and if he killed him! He would've killed both Hershel and Michonne! You don't understand how hard it is to be a leader, you're dad is trying to keep us alive and right now he can't because he's unconscious from his injuries! He has a huge bruise on his ribs down to his hip, his face is busted up and he has a gunshot wound on his leg!" I shouted, getting tired of how he's acting. He has to realize everything is not Rick's fault.

"You're not my mother! And you never will be!" He shouted, walking away.

I just stood there after what he just said. If words could kill, I would've died right there. I walked back to the house with what he said still going around in my mind. I walked in and saw Carl sitting on the floor. I walked to the kitchen and sat down and put my head on the table and didn't realize I fell asleep.

A few hours later, I woke up to crying. I stood up and walked to the other room to see Rick reaching out towards Carl and Carl aiming his gun at him. He put the gun down and cried and mumbled something under his breathe. He turned and looked at me before looking back at his father. Rick soon stopped moving and I walked over. I felt Rick's neck and still felt a pulse. I motioned Carl to help me put him back on the couch.

"I couldn't bring myself to shoot him Maddie. What if he was a walker? I would've died." He said, hugging me.

"He is your father and it's normal to have trouble shooting him if he was a walker and I wouldn't let anything happen to you okay." I said, rubbing his back. "He's still breathing Carl." I said. "He just woke up but fell back unconscious." I told him.

"Okay." He said. We went and laid down, falling asleep shortly after.