113

I was walking, carrying Liam with Rick when we saw a walker walking around on the street and soon more of them showed up.

"Shit." Rick said. "Maddie, go to Jesse's house and stay there with them. Carl is already there with Judith." He said.

"What about you?" I asked, worried.

"I'll be fine Maddie. Now go!" Rick said.

I ran to the house and went inside and shut the door. I turned and saw Jesse confused what's going on.

"What's going on Maddie?" She asked.

"The walkers got through the walls." I told her.

Carl and Ron walked around corner when they heard what I said.

"Where's my dad?" Carl asked.

"He went to do something but don't worry he'll come here." I said, handing Liam to Jesse. "Where's Sam?" I asked.

"He's upstairs in his room." She told me.

A few minutes later, Rick came inside holding onto an injured Deanna with Michonne and Gabriel behind them.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Deanna got injured." Rick said.

We quickly took her upstairs and she laid down on the bed. I turned and saw Sam standing at his door, looking at what's happening. I can tell he saw Deanna hurt. I went over to him and crouched down.

"Sam, you shouldn't see this. Close the door and I'll come tell you when you can come out, alright?" I said.

He slowly nodded his head and closed the door. I went back to the room with Deanna and lifted her shirt up and looked at the wound. It wasn't any other wound. It was a bite. She got bit. I looked at Rick and pulled him out of the room after covering the bite mark.

"Rick, I need to tell you something." I said.

"What is it?" He asked.

"How did Deanna get injured?" I asked, wanting to know what she told him.

"She said she fell on a saw. Why?" He asked.

"That's not a saw wound." I said. "She was bit." I told him.

He widened his eyes and went back into the room and lifted her shirt and saw it. Michonne saw and she got her sword ready.

"Why did you tell me you fell on a saw Deanna? When were you were bit?" He asked.

She didn't answer just fainted. I picked up her wrist and felt for a pulse which she still had. It was faint but it was there.

"She's still alive, she just fainted from the loss of blood." I said.

We heard something get knocked over downstairs. We ran down and tried to open the door to the garage, but it was locked.

"Back up!" Rick shouted and started hitting the lock with his hatchet.

Once the lock was off, Rick opened the door. We saw Ron put something in his pants and left the room, leaving Carl to try to push a shelf to the door where walkers were trying to get and they were starting to break the glass.

"Come on Carl!" Rick shouted. Carl let go of the shelf and ran inside with Rick quickly shutting the door behind them.

Me and Rick went and started pulling the couch to the stairs while the walkers were trying to bust through the door. We blocked the entrance to the stairs once we were behind it. That's when the walkers busted through. Luckily, the walkers couldn't climb over it. We went up to the room where Deanna was and saw that she was awake.

"Why didn't you tell us you were bit Deanna?" I asked, holding in tears. I liked Deanna, she was a great friend to me.

"I don't know. I was scared." She said.

"I understand." I said. "We're going to have to tie you down so when you turn, you won't be able bite anybody." I said.

"I understand Maddie. Do what you have to." She said, tears falling down her cheeks.

We all went to Jesse's room and started talking. I walked out and went to Sams room and knocked on the door, while opening it slightly and looking inside.

"Hi Sam." I said, walking inside. I walked over and saw that he was coloring. "What are you coloring there?" I asked, sitting down beside him.

"A picture of me tied to a tree and I'm surrounded by monsters and there's a swarm of ants eating the half eaten cookie." He told me.

Why is he coloring that kind of picture? And why is he tied to a tree? I wasn't going to ask him any of those questions because I already knew he was traumatized.

"What is song you're listening to?" I asked.

"Tiptoe Through The Tulips." He told me. "Is there a song that you like Maddie." He asked me.

"Well, there's this song I would sing to help soothe me. Do you want me to sing it to you?" I asked. He nodded his head. I cleared my throat and began to sing.

I remember tears streaming down your face when I said I'll never let you go

When all those shadows almost killed your light

I remember you said don't leave me here alone

But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight

Just close your eyes, the sun is going down

You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now

Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound

Don't you dare look out your window, darling everything's on fire

The war outside our door keeps raging on

Hold onto this lullaby even when the musics gone, gone

Just close your eyes, the sun is going down

You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now

Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound

Just close your eyes, you'll be alright

Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound

"What did you think?" I asked.

"You have a pretty voice." Sam said, smiling.

"You really think so?" I asked. He nodded his head and smiled. "I always sang that when I wanted to get my mind off of what was happening but I haven't sang it since before the everything happened but I never sang it around other people, you're the first one that's ever heard me sing." I told him.

"Really?" He asked.

I nodded my head with a smile. We continued talking until I had to go check on Deanna. I didn't tell Sam that because he would freak out and also because he's just a little boy. I put my hand on her forehead and felt her getting hotter.

"Where did you learn about medical things Maddie?" Deanna asked, looking at me.

"There was someone that was in our group named Hershel. He taught me everything I know and he took care me when I was sick with the aggressive strain of the flu. He's the reason I'm alive now but sadly he didn't make it." I said.

"I'm so sorry for your loss Maddie." She said.

"I'm fine. I know he's still with me in my heart." I said. She faintly smiled at me and it was soon getting dark.