147

"That was not the deal. You all swore that you would take the Saviors out and you failed. Any agreement we had is done. We weren't trade partners, we weren't friends, and we never met." Gregory said. "We don't know each other." He said, sitting down. "I don't owe you anything. In fact, you owe me for taking in the refugees at great personal risk." He added.

"Oh you were very brave staying in here while Maggie and Sasha saved this place." Paul said. "Your courage was so inspiring." He added.

"Hey, don't you work for me? Aren't we friends?" Gregory asked Paul.

"Gregory, we already started this." Rick said.

"You started it." Gregory interrupted.

"We did." Rick said. "And we're going to win." He added.

"These people are killers." Gregory argued.

"Is this how you want to live? Under their thumb and killing your people?" Rick asked.

"Sometimes we don't get to choose what our life looks like. Sometimes, Ricky, you have to count all the blessings you have." Gregory said. This man is really getting on my nerves. Is he just going to sit back and let his people get killed?

"How many people can we spare? How many people here can fight?" Maggie asked.

"We?" He said, scoffing. "I don't even know how many people we have here Margaret. And does it even matter. I mean...what are you gonna do? Start a platoon of sorghum farmers? Cause that's all we got. They grow thing and they won't want to fight." Gregory said. He called Maggie the wrong name again no matter how many times she corrected him.

"You're wrong. People usually step up when they have the chance to do the right thing. I mean people just-" Tara said, getting interrupted.

"Let me stop you before you break into a song. By the way, who would train all this cannon fodder?" Gregory said.

"I will." Me and Sasha said in unison.

"Give me a week." Rosita said.

"That's a rhetorical question. I don't want to know. I don't want to hear another word about it either." Gregory said, pissing me off more than before.

"Would we all be better off without the Saviors, yes or no?" Rick asked. I can tell he's getting angry by his body language and voice.

"Yeah. Sure. Okay." Gregory said.

"So, what are you going to do to fix the problem?" Michonne asked.

"I didn't say we had a problem. You all did. And whatever happens outside of my purview is outside of my purview." Gregory said.

"What hell is wrong with you? Can't you see what life would be like without the Saviors? It'll be better than it is now." I said.

"Nothings wrong with me. You're all making a mistake wanting to fight the Saviors." He said.

"What the hell, man? You're either with us or you ain't." Daryl said. "You're sitting over there talking out of both sides of your mouth." He said. You go Daryl.

"I think I made my position very clear. And I want to thank you all for not being here today." Gregory said. This man is so fucking stubborn, more stubborn than I am. We all then left the building and walked into the main hall.

"I want to knock that idiots teeth out." Sasha said. I held in my laugh because it's not the appropriate time to laugh.

"We don't need him anyway." Daryl said, walking past me and Rick.

"That's right, we don't." Rick said. "Cause we have Maggie, Sasha, and Jesus here." Rick said, before a door opened.

"And Enid." Maggie said.

"Hey um-" Enid started to say.

"What's wrong?" Sasha asked.

"Nothing, just...come outside." Enid said. We all followed her outside and saw a lot of people gathered in front of the door.

"What's going on?" Maggie asked.

"Hey. So if you don't remember me, I'm Bertie. And I owe you all my life, twice over. A whole bunch of us do. Enid said that you want Gregory to get us to fight the Saviors with you. Is that true?" Bertie asked.

"Yes." Maggie answered her.

"Do you think we can win, that we really could beat them?" She asked. "Us?" She added.

"I do." Maggie said. Bertie sighed before responding.

"Enid said you could show us the way. I'm ready." She said.

"Me too." A man said. Everyone else started to say that they're in as well. I looked at Rick and he looked back at me and we were both smiling.

"It's a start." Michonne said.

"We'll get more." Sasha said.

"It's still not enough." Michonne said.

"No, it won't." Rosita agreed.

"Well if we find the right stuff, then maybe we don't need the numbers. Blow them up and burn them to the ground." Daryl said.

"You said that there weren't just soldiers with the Saviors, that there were workers there as well." Tara said. "People didn't have a choice." She added.

"We have to win." Daryl said.

"We need more hands, another group. Negan has outposts. The geography, the distance works against us. We got to get back." Rick said. "If they come looking for Daryl, we need to be there." He added.

"You don't need to go back. Not yet. It's one of theirs, long range." Paul said, pulling out a walkie. "We can listen in and keep track of them." He added.

"So if we're not going back, what are we doing then?" Michonne asked.

"I think it's time we introduced you to Ezekiel. King Ezekiel." Paul answered.

"King?" Rick asked.