59

I was in the cell block with Judith when I heard gunshots and someone screaming. I put Judith back in the crib and ran to where it was coming from. I went into cell block D and saw walkers. I pulled out my gun and started shooting the walkers.

Daryl, Rick and the others soon ran in and saw what was happening and started killing the walkers. I saw a little boy but before I was able to get to him, Daryl went and grabbed him and brought him to me.

Soon all the walkers were dead and we were looking around. I saw a body on the floor and my eyes widened at who it was.

"Rick! Daryl!" I shouted. They came running to me and I pointed at him. "It's Patrick." I said, tears building in my eyes. Daryl pulled me against him and kept me like that while he was making sure all the walkers were dead and to make sure whoever got bit didn't get back up.

"There's no bite or wound, he just died." Rick said. We were looking at Charlie who was in his cell with the door locked.

"He had pleurisy. Think of it like a shaken up soda pop top but it's your eyes, nose and ears that's the top" Caleb said.

"But how can someone die just from a cold?" Daryl asked.

"This is an aggressive flu strain." Caleb said.

"I had a sick pig. Died pretty quick." Rick said. "And I saw a sick boar in the woods." He added.

"Went to the birds then to them. That's how these spread fast." Hershel said. "We have to do something about those hogs." He said.

"Maybe we just got lucky, just the two cases." Caleb said.

"Us and everyone in here. We've all been exposed." Hershel said. We walked out but Rick stopped Caleb.

"What does this mean for Maddie? How will it affect her since she's pregnant?" Rick asked, worried.

"She's most prone because pregnancy affects the immune system, heart and lungs. If she gets it while she's pregnant, it's more dangerous than in someone who isn't." Caleb said.

"So you're saying that I could die faster than they did?" I asked.

"I'm not saying that. It's just that since you're pregnant, you could have more serious complications." Caleb told us.

"Like what?" Rick asked.

"She could have preterm labor and premature birth. And if she gets a fever while pregnant, it could cause birth defects like neural tube defects which has to do with the brain and the spinal cord." He answered.

"What do I have to do if I get it?" I asked, starting to cry.

"All that you can do is get plenty of rest and drink plenty of fluids." Caleb said.

He walked away, leaving me and Rick alone minus Daryl who was still in the cell with Charlie. I fell to the floor and put my face in my hands.

"What happened to her?" Daryl asked, worried.

"She's more prone to getting the flu since she's pregnant and she could have more serious complications." Rick told him.

"Fucking hell!" Daryl shouted. Me and Rick walked outside to tell the others about what happened. Once Carl saw us, he ran towards Rick.

"Carl, stay back." Rick said but Carl still hugged him.

"I didn't think you were going to come out. I had to use the gun I'm sorry." Carl said.

"I was coming back and I fell. Him and Maggie both saved me." Michonne said. Rick nodded his head before speaking.

"Patrick got sick last night and died and attacked everyone in that cell block. May have been some kind of flu and it spreads fast so stay away from anyone that's been exposed including me and Maddie." Rick told him.

"Isn't that more dangerous for Maddie since she's pregnant?" Carl asked. Rick put his head down so I answered.

"Yes it is. I'm more prone because the pregnancy is affecting my immune system." I said. "But don't worry okay? Just don't come near us because we don't want anyone else catching it." I said, a tear falling down my cheek.

Daryl, Carol, Hershel, Sasha and Glenn were in a room talking while Rick was with me. Rick was worried that I would catch it which I hope I don't and I also hope nobody else gets it. I had my head on Ricks shoulder, holding in my tears.

"Rick I'm scared." I said. He pulled him into his chest and rubbed my back.

"I am too Maddie." He said. "I'm worried about you, I don't want you to catch it." He said, sounding like he was going to cry.

"I don't want no one else catching it. But everyone is more worried about me." I said. "Especially you and Daryl." I added.

"It's because you could catch it and it'll be worse for you than with us." He said. We stayed in that position until Daryl walked over.