46

Rick told the rest of the group about the deal and walked off. I followed behind him and stood next to him when he was on the guard tower with his rifle.

"Rick." I began. "You did the right thing telling them." I said, looking at him.

"I know I just feel like I should've told them before Merle took her." He said, looking back at me. I walked closer to him and put my hands on his cheeks.

"They understand why you didn't tell them. They know you just wanted them to be prepared for a war if or when it happens." I said. He leaned down and connected his lips with mine, putting his hand on the back of my head making the kiss deeper. We pulled way and we looked at the woods. "Rick, what's that over there?" I asked, pointing towards something or someone that was moving. He looked through the scope on the rifle.

"It's Michonne." He replied.

"Is she alone?" I asked.

"Yeah, I don't see anyone with her." He said.

We walked out of the guard tower and I got in the car while Rick opened the gate after killing the walkers that was there. I drove down and stopped in front of her. She got in and I backed up then drove back and parked the car, shutting the engine off afterwards. We got out and Rick came over.

Michonne told us what Merle did and I can't believe he let her go. He said that he would take her to the Governor but ended up letting her go. I knew there was a soft side to him but he just never showed it. A few hours later, Daryl returned. He walked past me without saying anything, which made me confused.

"Daryl, what's wrong?" I asked, worried. He ignored me and kept walking. "Daryl!" I shouted. He turned around and walked towards me. "What's the matter?" I asked.

"Merle's dead! He was a walker when I found him! There now you know what's wrong Maddie!" He shouted, walking away from me.

I was shocked from what Daryl told me. Tears were building up in my eyes and they started falling down my cheeks. I fell to the ground and started crying.

"Maddie!" Rick shouted, running over to me. "What happened? Why are you crying?" He asked, putting his hand on my shoulder. I slowly looked up at him, showing my tears.

"M-Merle is d-dead." I stuttered out. Rick looked shocked and he pulled me against him. "I can't believe he's dead Rick. I don't want to believe that he's dead." I said, through tears.

"I know you don't." He said, rubbing my back up and down. I heard someone walking towards us but I didn't look up.

"What's wrong with Maddie, Dad?" Carl asked.

"Her brother Merle is dead." He simply told him.

"I'm so sorry Maddie. I wish you didn't have to go through this." Carl said. Me and Carl are pretty close, he's like a little brother.

"I just didn't expect him to die especially coming back as a walker but I can't say that I understand what Daryl's going through because he had to put him down." I said. After a calmed down, we went inside.

"Okay, we're going to have to leave because the Governor is most likely on his way over here to attack us." Rick said. "So hurry up and pack everything and put them in the vehicles." He added. I walked to my cell and started packing my things.

When I put everything in my bag except for the picture of me, Daryl and Merle. Merle wasn't always around but when he was, I wanted to take a picture to have something to remember the past. I felt a tear falling down my cheek when I heard someone walking into the cell.

"I'm sorry I yelled at you Maddie. I was just upset." Daryl said.

"It's alright Daryl, I understand." I said, trying not to cry.

"But that's no excuse to shout at you but I should've stayed with you because he was your brother too." He said, crouching down.

"I'm fine Daryl, I'll get over it. I know I will." I said, before standing up and throwing my bag over my shoulder. "We better go put our stuff in the car." I said, walking past him. He soon followed and everything was packed in the car.

Carl looked more upset than when his mother passed away. It's like he just shut everyone out. I got in the passenger seat of the Hyundai with Rick driving and Carl, Judith and Beth was in the back seat. We soon left, leaving the prison behind. I put my head on the headrest and closed my eyes, dozing off to sleep.