10

We arrived at the farm that the woman mentioned and came to a stop. I got out and T-Dog was brought inside to treat his wound while I was looking around the farm. I like being outside since I enjoyed hunting with my brother.

"What are you thinking about Maddie?" Daryl asked, beside me.

"Just everything before the whole apocalypse happened." I said. "I miss everything that we did together before we had to watch out for walkers. I miss hunting with you because you always made me happy Daryl and always took my mind off of what happened with my ex." I said, turning to him. "I'm lucky to have you as a brother Daryl and I wouldn't trade you in for anyone else." I said, hugging him.

He hugged me back and I saw Shane looking this way from the porch, which made me tense up. Daryl felt me tensing and he looked to see why and he saw Shane looking this way before walking away.

"Don't worry Maddie, I won't let him get close to you." Daryl assured me.

"Thank you Daryl, I love you." I said, smiling.

"I love you too Maddie and don't tell anyone I said that please." He said.

"I won't tell anyone Daryl." I said, chuckling. We walked to the entrance of the house and Rick walked out. "How is he Rick?" I asked. He looked at me and he had blood all over his shirt.

"Hershel said that he needs a respirator because he needs major surgery because the bullet broke into fragments." He told me. My eyes widened when he told me. "He needs that major surgery to live." He added.

"I'm so sorry Rick, I wish we had a respirator." I said.

"A man named Otis said that there's still medical supplies at a school but it's surrounded by walkers." He told me. "Him and Shane volunteered to get the stuff for them." He added.

When he said Shane was going, I don't know why but I was happy that he wasn't going to be around me but also a bit worried about him and Otis. As if on cue, Shane and a man, which I assume is Otis, walked out.

"We're heading out now. We'll be back when we can." Shane said.

When Shane talked, I kinda scooted closer to Rick to try to get away from Shane. Rick seemed to notice and he put his arm around my waist, pulling me closer against his side which made me feel safer.

"Okay be careful." Rick said, still holding onto me.

I don't know why but I feel safe with Rick even though I didn't know him that long. They got in a truck and drove off. When they were out of sight, we stood up.

"Thank you Rick." I thanked him.

"For what?" He asked, confused.

"For protecting me." I said.

"Of course I'll protect you. I saw you were uncomfortable being around Shane, so I pulled you closer to me." He said. "If you don't mind me asking, is Shane the one that was going to do something to you?" He asked.

"Yeah it was Shane. That's why I'm trying to stay away from him." I answered. "I guess I'm scared he's going to try it again." I said.

"I know your brother is already doing it but I'll help to try to keep him away from you Maddie." He said, smiling. I smiled back when someone came out of the house.

"Rick, he needs more blood." The man with white hair said. He turned and looked at me. "I'm Hershel." He introduced himself.

"Maddie." I replied, smiling.

Rick stood up and went inside with Hershel following behind him. I continued sitting on the step just looking out in the distance.