47

I woke up to someone shaking me awake.

"Maddie, wake up." Rick said. My eyes fluttered open and looked at him.

"How long was I asleep?" I asked.

"Not too long but we have to hide." He said.

I got out and before I was able to make my way to Rick, I heard leaves rustling. I ran and hid with Carl, Beth and Hershel, pulling my gun out. Carl got out of hiding and aimed. I stood up with Hershel following close behind and we both aimed to see a boy that didn't look older than twenty.

"Put your gun down son." Hershel said.

"Okay here." The boy said, handing Carl the gun. Carl then shot the boy in the head.

"Carl, why did you shoot him? He was surrendering." I asked.

"We couldn't take the chance Maddie." Carl said.

We all went back to the car and saw the others waiting for us. Rick was already in the drivers seat when I got in the passenger seat. Beth put Judiths car seat back in the car. We all began heading back to the prison because Daryl said that the Governor and his men left. We pulled in and saw the damage they did. They blew up the guard tower and a few other parts. We parked the cars where we did before and got out.

"Rick, can I talk to you real quick?" I asked. He nodded his head and we went inside.

"What is it Maddie?" He asked.

"In the woods, a young boy ran towards us and he was surrendering but Carl shot and killed him." I said. "I'm worried about what Carl will do next." I added.

"I'll talk to him." He said, putting his hands on my shoulder. I followed him outside and went to the car. I started remembering Merle and I felt tears build up in my eyes again. I was also listening to Rick talking to Carl about him killing the boy.

"Maddie told me about the boy you shot." Rick said.

"He had a gun." Carl replied.

"Was he handing it over?" Rick asked.

"He just attacked us." He told him. The boy didn't attack us, he was handing us his gun. From the look of the boy, he looked like he didn't want to be there.

"Was he handing his gun over?" Rick asked again.

"I couldn't take the chance. I didn't kill the walker that killed Dale. It happens." Carl said.

"That's not the same Carl." Rick said.

"You didn't kill Andrew and he came back and killed mom." Carl said. Andrew may have opened that gate but that's not what killed her. She had to get cut open to give birth to Judith. "You let the Governor go and he killed Merle." Carl said. I've had enough of how Carl is treating his father, so I stood up and walked towards them.

"Andrew didn't kill your mother, she died during childbirth that had nothing to do with Andrew. And if Rick killed the Governor when he met with him, your father, Daryl and Hershel would be dead and the Governors group would've came and killed us." I said. "Stop blaming your father, he's trying to keep us all alive. Being a leader is hard role, your father knows what he's doing." I added.

"He's not a good leader Maddie! Why can't you see that?!" Carl shouted, storming away from us. Rick looked down and I walked over to him.

"Don't listen to him Rick, he's just a little boy he doesn't know that you did all you could." I said, crouching down next to him.

"Maybe I'm not capable of being the leader, maybe he's right that I'm not a good leader and that I should just leave." He said.

"Don't say that Rick. You are a good leader and you're capable for it too. Like I said, don't listen to what he said, he'll understand that you did all you could when he gets older." I said.

Rick engulfed me in a hug and I hugged him back. I looked behind Rick and saw Carl looking over here, with an angry look on his face.