Denise Cloyd- Decorations (c)

Without civilisation standing how it once did, any holidays and festivities were put on the back burner, everyone too busy focusing on survival rather than which Christmas carols they wanted to sing. You knew that your girlfriend Denise had been a huge fan of Christmas and everything to do with the festive period, but seen as there wasn't a meaningful calendar anymore she was forced to pretend that they were things that no longer mattered to her even if they did.

You couldn't get everyone to drop what they were doing and put Alexandria in danger due to the lack of guarding, but you could certainly take the time to do something for her, just the two of you. You had woken up early and headed to the doctor's surgery where she worked, to decorate it for her. You had scavenged through the town to find any old Christmas decorations along with asking Tara to keep an eye out on her runs, so you had a few things to work with even if your vision called for far more.

There wasn't going to be a tree, but you had found a traffic cone that you covered in an old pool tables felt so that it looked green and tree shaped. Using push pins, you were able to put some baubles on it and wrap a small bit of tinsel too. Around the rest of the room, you hung up tinsel, a few decorations that could be salvaged along with paperchains that you'd convinced some of the kids of the town to help you make. It was a bit of a mess, but it was the best you could do with the resources.

You waited patiently for her to come into work. As soon as she saw the room, a giant smile curled onto her lips as tears brimmed in her eyes.

"Did you do this for me?" She smiled, making her way over to you.

"You seemed down recently, and I wanted to be able to make you smile," you shrugged.

"This is perfect."

Denise wrapped her arms around you in a warm embrace. You were glad to be able to make her smile, as even if you weren't dating, you hated seeing anyone upset, especially at a time of year that once made so many happy.

"Look up," you smiled.

She cocked an eyebrow at you but did as she was told.

"Is that mistletoe?"

You shrugged your shoulders. "It's technically a piece of the hedge outside of Deanna's house but it's the closest thing to mistletoe I could find."

Denise shook her head at you, impressed by the work you put in but also finding how cheesy you were amusing.

"I love you," she grinned, leaning in pressing her lips to yours.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.