Tara Chambler- Christmas Tree (c)

Life in after the world had fallen was harder than you could have ever imagined. You assumed things would get easier, it would be solved soon but that certainly wasn't the case. It had been nine months since you had come face to face with walkers, the first sign that life would never be how it once had. Every day was a struggle and worse than the rest but today was probably the hardest you would ever experience.

Prior to everything you had loved Christmas, but you didn't even know if your loved ones were still alive. There was only one you were certain of. Your girlfriend, Tara, was certainly alive as she was still with you, although you had only met after the downfall of life as you had known.

She was the only light you had in the darkness of life, but you weren't even sure she could brighten Christmas for you when you couldn't experience any of the parts of that you had once loved.

The two of you were hiding out in an abandoned barn in the middle of nowhere for last few weeks, having known that you were relatively safe there with your own easy access to food that you could grow yourself. Tara had gone outside saying she needed to do something, leaving you to your thoughts in the faux safety of your barn.

Soon she returned with a grin on her face.

"Come on, I have something to show you," she smiled excitedly practically bouncing on the spot.

You didn't want to go really, you were emotionally tired and couldn't be bothered to stay awake on a day that should have held so much joy. Even though you'd much rather curl up on your own and cry, you loved to see Tara happy and wanted to see what had brought her so much joy.

Tara pulled you to your feet, and happily lead you out of the barn and around the back of it where there was a small clearing with nothing there. Rather than the emptiness you had expected to see Tara had truly surprised you.

There planted in the ground was a large branch from a tree with leaves still coating it. Over each small branch were makeshift decorations made from wrappers from food or random objects that Tara must have scavenged.

"I know you can't have a proper Christmas, but I thought that maybe a small Christmas tree could help," she grinned taking a seat in the dirt in front of the tree.

You couldn't help but smile as you sat down next to her.

"Thank you, Love."

~*~
Written by Charlotte.