Tara Chambler- Home (c)

It was nice to finally have a home again. It had been such a long time since you were able to call a place your home. Yes, you had lived at the Greene Farm and the prison and everywhere else along the road, but they had never felt like a home.

The whole cliché spiel of 'home is where the heart is' it was true for you. Although you were now safe behind a wall in Alexandria, and had your own house to live in with your friends by your side, but now you had Tara. No matter where you were, it would be a home now that you had her with you.

For the next week or so, you didn't have any responsibilities. Deanna wanted everyone to settle in and get used to the place, whilst she found jobs for everyone.

Even if you were meant to be getting to know everyone in the town, Tara and you were happy to just spend the day cooped up in your shared room, simply pleased to have simple luxuries such as a bed, a hair brush or soap. Things that before the world turned to shit, you wouldn't have batted an eyelid at, now were marvellous things you were thankful for.

Tara sat on top of the pillows at the end of the bed, with you perched on the headboard behind her. Having spent what felt like a lifetime without having a decent shower or brushing your hair, they were the first things you'd done. But with little else to do, it was a kind and simple gesture of closeness for you to brush her askew hair.

As you ran the brush through her hair, she leant against your torso.

"Are you sure this is real?" She muttered, leaning her head back to look up at you, preventing you from running the brush through her hair any longer.

Placing the hair brush down next to her on the bed, you raised an eyebrow at the brunette in front of you.

"What do you mean?"

"After everything. After my Dad and Lilly and Meghan, I never thought I could be happy again. We don't have to worry here. We are safe. At least it is safer than we have been on the road. We have a bed to sleep in, there is an oven in the kitchen, this is a home and I'm happy that I can spend it with you. It just doesn't feel like reality," she said in a near whisper, reaching a hand over her shoulder to rest on your leg.

"Well it is real," you smiled leaning down in an attempt to kiss her, but settling on pressing your lips to her forehead, not wanting to strain your neck and back any more than you were. "We are safe and for once it seems like the world is working out for the better. I didn't think I'd be able to say that. But here we are. Happy."

"I'm glad to call this place our home," she said softly.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.