53| Description, love. You know it?

Hey what's up guys

I've never mentioned the team I support in the a EPL, but y'all know I adore football

My team is MANCHESTER UNITED

AND OMFG GUYS IM GOING TO WATCH THEM PLAY ON TUESDAY GAAAHHHHHHHH I CAN'T EVEN

Can't even

Sorry for how irrelevant this is but...I can't even.

Moving on swiftly.

::

There's a problem that's on the increase. More and more people are beginning to neglect it. And I completely hate it.

I'm talking about their story description/summary/blurb, whatever you call it. (We'll go with description for now).

There are different types of descriptions that I completely hate because they're so annoying okay

Like I don't care how amazing your book is, you need to capture me first in your description

The thing is, and I may speak for a couple of you, I'm a lazy person. Only second to the cover, your story description will be what determines whether my thumb wants to undertake the tiring task to lift itself up and push down the 'read' button. If my thumb no likey, then sorry. I'm not going to start reading a chapter to 'see' whether I like it okay, that's what the description was supposed to do for me.

Types of Descriptions I hate:

1. No description

(Lol, I didn't think this one through)

But finding a story which says:

This story has no description.

Pisses me off.

Gawd, are you that uncaring of your book? Because that's the vibe I'm getting for you. You don't give two shits about your book.

First, no title name on your book cover. Second, no description.

Are there even words IN your book? Or is that a problem for you, writing words?

I'm not a fucking wizard okay, I can't predict the happenings your book so at least say something (I'm giving up on you) in your book description.

(I had to do the reference, lol)

But it's as simple as this: you don't tell me what your book is about, I'm not going to bother finding out.

2. I Hate This (capitalized for emphasis)

I hate it so much to the extent that I won't even put it on the title, to build up some sort of suspense.

Suspense over, lol. I cannot stand it when the author says:

"Read to find out."

Or

"Click on 'start reading' to see what the story is about!"

Etc.

I don't understand if it's just pure laziness or you think it's supposed to entice me into reading your work, but I'll be out of there faster than Usain Bolt during a 100m sprint. (In his defence, mine is a shorter distance).

I don't want to have to read fucking 30 chapters to know what it is about okay, I don't have that kind of time.

So please stop assuming that someone will actually "read to find out", because they only person who will "read to find out" is your grandma, whom you asked to check out your debut novel as a 'young author' lol