2| Who are we on about again?

Wait, who are we on about again?

So today's rant is about how much I hate it when a book has about 50 million POV's from literally everyone's perspectives. It's so bloody irritating! I get all muddled up-- whose perspective are we looking at it from now?

The other day I was engrossed in quite a good book. Of course, all the action was in the name of romance (and government). The author had only switched POV's once or twice before the action, so I was alright with it. Then, the action scene just came on. All the characters were in the same place, fighting the same battle (maybe on different sides) but the author went H.A.M on the POV's - it was crazy! And not a good crazy.

I think you'll benefit from a lovely example.

::

Susan's POV

The monkeys began to run after us. Using their feet and hands, they gained much more ground than we thought. In an act of adrenaline, Quentin grabbed me by my ankles and ran, as fast as he could.

Quentin's POV

I felt her hot breath across my neck as I carried her away. Her hands lay limplessly on my broad back as my legs did all the work. I ran, as fast as I could.

Monkey Driver's POV

These stupid kids were running fast. I got out my bow and arrow while handling the beastly ape.

Susan's POV

I breathed hard against his neck. His hairs were standing up, I could feel them on my lips. The ride was a bumpy one, but I loved to be near my sweetheart. He looked so majestic, protecting me from those ugly monkeys.

"The Monkey's are gaining on us," I screamed.

Quentin's POV

She screamed to warn me about the monkeys, but I was getting tired. Still, I pushed my body.

Susan's POV

He was getting tired, I could feel it. His breathing got heavier. But he continued to run fast. I looked up, and the monkeys were close.

Monkey Driver's POV

I screamed at the stupid monkeys. We were so close. Of course, the kids couldn't see me. I was invisible mystical creature, congenitally tailored to drive monkeys to their fullest potential. All they saw was the ravaging monkey on their trail.

"FASTER!" I screamed at the monkeys.

Quentin's POV

I decided that I was Karma Lee and that this was a temple run game. Thinking of my favourite app, I got the will to carry my love away.

Susan's POV

Suddenly, we lost the monkeys. Because I was facing the opposite direction, I had no idea where we were going or where we were. Then, he stopped running.

Quentin's POV

We'd reached somewhere safe. They monkeys couldn't get to us here.

Susan's POV

He dropped me onto the ground. I was dizzy and was about to faint.

Monkey's POV

They'd gone.

Stupid humans.

::

Honestly, these drive me insane. Why change the speaker every two seconds when:

(i) they're in the same freaking place (it makes more sense if they aren't)

(ii) it's a life-or-death situation - the characters aren't thinking. They're just fucking scared you stupid person!

(iii) THERE'S THIRD PERSON FOR UNDECIDED PEOPLE LIKE YOURSELF.

What, are you trying out a new 'style'? Here's a tip. It's bloody irritating. Stop.

STAHHPP.

pls, stop pls. eyes r hurting

Another genre I don't like the author to change the POV's is usually romance. Sometimes, it's okay. I don't hate it all the time. But I feel like you cancel all the mystery. Like, when someone likes someone else, we wonder if that someone else likes hem too? But yet, you decide to fucking reveal it to the authors and it isn't as fun! We feel like their thoughts are now stupid. Like:

Susan's POV

I twirled my hair while watching Quentin doing his maths test. He was so gorgeous.

Quentin's POV

I looked back at my crush, Susan. She was staring at me! I turned away quickly because I'd stare forever I didn't.

Susan's POV

He caught my eye and turned away. What was he thinking? He thought I was creepy omg he doesn't like me omg why was I looking at him I shouldn't have

::

Do you see my point? We as the readers already know what Quentin's thinking, so to us Susan's thoughts are just childish and irrelevant.

Many good and published authors have used this technique in their stories, but they've done it effectively. For instance, Khaled Hosseini (one of my favourite authors!) does it amazingly. Go and read his books: Kite Runner or A Thousand Splendid Suns. The POV's change when they need to, after they've explored the information about a character that we need to know before we hear from them next.

Not every two fucking seconds, gosh.

::