11| Only When You Need Her

Only when you need her

Dedicated to AshRia_x for her awesomely awesome comments which made my day!

::

I know I've briefly mentioned this before in rant #5, but it deserves its own rant.

There are so many books on wattpad where the female protagonist has had a male best friend for the longest time...

Then suddenly falls in love with him. The rest of the book will be about how she tries to get his attention and stuff, because she's afraid of ruining their friendship.

I've no criticism of that.

What pisses me off is when, after half the book, the girl randomly has a 'girl best friend' to talk it all over with/ give her advice/ 'girlify' her/ and, as in my previous rant (like four rants ago?), she obviously just knows that she's liked him since like, forever.

Maybe I haven't explained that well. I'll give it another try.

Hi my name is Wendy or something stupid and my best friend is called Wilson. We have been best friends since birth. He is always over at my house, and we laugh and play playstation and I beat him sometimes. Sometimes I sleep over at his house. We tell each other everything.

Now that I'm a teenager, I realise that he's got a lovely smile. This subsequently leads to me liking him. Oh, no! I like my best friend! But he would never like me back we've had too much history I don't want to ruin that.

Because I'm an utter tomboy because I hang out with Wilson all the time, I still have a girl best friend who is so girly and gorgeous and who I can call over when I discover I like a guy. I've not mentioned her before; not even once, but she still knows everything that's been going on. To make our friendship believable, I'll make her say on the phone: "I've been so busy with *insert boy's name / school / other excusable problems that make it okay for girl best friend not to have been in my life from the beginning of the book*". Of course, since we're still best friends, she'll come over for a girly sleepover and I'll tell her I like Wilson. She already knows. How? She knows everything about me, lol. Even Wilson doesn't know that much (and we've been friends like forever). Because duh, only a girl best friend can know things.

And duh, Wilson has known me forever but he can't notice how different I am around him. Girl best friend has made me wear dresses and lipstick but Wilson is so oblivious to this! Because duh, boys are clueless. Even when you've been best friends forever.

After girl best friend is introduced, she'll disappear for a while maybe because she's pregnant or something. She'll only be back when I'm crying of a broken heart! Duh! Because Wilson can't do that. Besides, he's known me since forever.

::

Better? (Lol I don't know where those names came from).

But why is it that, all these girls who have made it so clear that their only and bestestest friend is the guy (and they're seeing him differently now), suddenly feel the need to introduce a girl best friend so that she can confide in?

What pisses me off is that she's only there when it's convenient.

Times when it's convenient

(a) when the tomboy-prude-girl-who-knows-nothing-about-boys finally hits puberty and realizes that she can like a boy.
(b) when she needs a makeover so that boy can notice her.
(c) when tomboy girl has miraculously changed into a sexy heartbreaker and is now good enough to hang out with her. (Like seriously, why do they make the 'nerdy' girl have such a stunning and popular best friend? Don't give me that bullshit that 'opposites attract'. But seriously.)
(d) when boy has broken her heart and she needs someone to eat ice cream with.

Look. If this girl best friend is to take a central role in her life, then make it believable!

Don't make her freaking pop up in the middle of the book then disappear in the middle of the boy drama then reappear when you're fucking crying.

P.S,

Why is it that girl best friend and boy best friend never seem to mix or know each other? Like they actually never meet. But, girl best friend will know everything about the boy best friend, because DUH, but boy best friend knows not of the existence of the girl best friend.)

::

Guys omg you have led me to reach 700 reads, you're all angels, all of you, thank you for your support and comments and just for reading this! Me loveth youuu <3

Why am I so emotional goddammit