36. "Two strangers with familiar faces"

Chp36. "Two strangers with familiar faces."

-------------------------

Dedicated to my favorite person ever, who makes all the Deathly Kisses trailers.

-------------------------
--------------------------

The guilt was killing me, eating me alive- no actually it was simply devouring me. The tapping Drew was doing against his lap to the sound of the music playing from the radio, was driving me insane. And when he started humming along to the song I was almost positive I was going to explode. Drew stopped at a red light, making Macy who was riding shotgun groan in frustration. The awkward tension was building up by the second. Not once in my entire friendship with Drew and Macy, had there been any awkward silence. Well that was until now.

Slowly drifting my eyes from road I started playing with the sleeves of my sweater. It was Monday and here we were on our way to school on a chilly morning. And the fact that Macy was giving me the cold shoulder as well as Drew acting strange wasn't helping at all. Nothing was helping right now, absolutely nothing. With a lot going on, I still simply couldn't stop thinking about my encounter with Austin. I kept debating with myself wether it was real or not, and till now I still couldn't even figure it out myself.

After the whole thing that had occurred that night, still I remained in the kitchen processing everything through. However this had caused me much more problems later on and I didn't realize it until it was too late. I had forgotten all about Macy. So as of right now, Macy had every right to be angry with me. And sadly enough, I was angry with myself as well. Because I had let it happen, I had let Austin get to me. When the light turned green, Drew didn't waste his time in driving off. I was just plain tired, and mostly I was just tired of being tired.

My life had become a boring routine. Something I couldn't stop but do every single day, the same way, the same time. It was like reading a book but being stuck in a sentence while you're just simply reading it over and over, unable to move on and read ahead. The countless sleepless nights of mine had become a habit. The worst part though had to be the nightmares. At first it was like a beautiful dream that I wanted to live in, a pure bliss of happiness. My family, my dad- my old life back. But right before my eyes everything continued to disappear, everything and everyone was leaving me. Exactly the same way my father had left me. And the worst part of it all was, when I woke up- the nightmare didn't stop, instead it continued on to what seemed to be forever. Like I had said, it had become a routine of mine.

"Mia c'mon!" I felt hands continue to shake my body violently, my thoughts had quickly scrambled away pulling me back to reality.

I blinked rapidly facing Drew, who had the door to my side of his car open. Informing me that he was probably standing some time there waiting for me to get out. "Oh sorry..." I quickly grabbed my bag and stepped out of the seat.

"You really have to stop doing that." Drew said fixing his hair in his car mirror.

"Stop what?"

"Stop daydreaming." Drew chuckled throwing his bag over his shoulder and locking the car. "You've been doing it nonstop lately, always zoning out. Is everything alright?" The way I noticed Drew's voice change in a tone that was concerning, showed me that he really was worried about me.

But everything was fine. And besides, it wasn't a big deal. I had a lot on my mind that wouldn't stop making me zone out. "Everything is fine Drew, you worry too much." I said shrugging, hoping he would drop the subject.

Before I gave Drew the chance to reply back to me, I made my way along the parking lot. Macy was far ahead of us already. It was really starting to get to me how one little simple thing was becoming an issue between us, I didn't want to lose someone yet again. It was all I had left. I was going to make things right for once, I was going to fight for what I wanted. Even though there were so many things that I wanted but impossible to have, still I was going to fight for myself, for what's mine. And yes, that also included my friends and my old life back. I will get it if it's the last thing I do, I'm more than determined you can say.

A slight giggle followed by a dark chuckle had promptly caught my attention. Turning my head over to the commotion, my eyes rapidly placed themselves on the one person I had hope not to see. Evidently Austin knew I was watching, and he was making sure I noticed every single little detail he was putting on for his show. A show I had no interest in whatsoever. But it was the way he was that still attracted myself to look over. I wasn't sure what this whole deal was but I sure wasn't going to fall for it. He could keep playing this game but I was far done from it; it was time I started living my life the way I wanted- the way I needed to. And quite frankly, there wasn't a spot for Austin in it.

"No surprise there." Drew perceived to Austin.

I didn't quite catch on to what Drew was referring to. His remark captured me at a speed that I couldn't really process through. I drifted my gaze away from Austin and to Drew instead. And there was that look written all over Drew's face. That well known look he always had when it came to Austin. I strongly knew how much Drew despised Austin and as for Austin- I was almost positive Drew was a nobody to him. But that was besides the point. Drew continued to give Austin a disgusted look as he saw how Austin's hands roved entirely through the blonde's body. In reality he shouldn't be so judgmental considering Drew had the same exact ways as Austin did.

Drew scoffed loudly before raising his voice causing me to make a sudden jump in surprise. "Look at him!" He said.

"I know," I nodded in response, biting the inside of my cheek carelessly. "He's back." I said in a hush whisper. He really is back...

"It's only morning and he's already acting like a fucking animal." Drew said in an outburst.

At that moment I didn't really know what was going through Drew's head- but I knew it had nothing to do with making peace with Austin. It was far from that. First it was Macy and now it's Drew. It was like a battle between both of them on who could win to judge Austin more. Though I wouldn't really consider Austin and I friends, matter of fact we really weren't anything. It felt like two strangers collided together, forced to interact because of a mistake. Maybe in the end it really was that, but I had actually gotten to know a little more of Austin; the real him. And it was safe to say that there was a reason to explain the way he is, more precisely many reasons.

I sighed, tired of hearing the same nonsense being said towards Austin. "Drew," I breathed out. "Calm down" I said placing my hand slowly on the top of his shoulder.

Drew took a turn in his mood as well as his expression. "There you go again." He said, sighing in exasperation. "Always defending him. It would be nice if for once you took my side instead of his."

"I'm not taking sides. All I'm telling you is to calm down."

Drew however didn't listen to me, instead I think I had gotten him more annoyed than Austin had. "Whatever." He said bitterly. "Let's just go, I don't want to be late to class."

I ignored the tone he had gave me; hatred, and walked right behind him. Though Drew was speeding up leaving me behind.

Always defending him. It was like a song on repeat, it just wouldn't stop. I had already Macy telling me things like these, now I didn't need Drew as well. I wasn't defending Austin. Well at least it didn't seem like I was in my eyes. It was just the form they were describing him, dissing him, hating him. I felt like I needed to speak up for it, this wasn't right. I was a little stunned that Austin finally showed to school. It was quite different having him back after so long. And of course Austin would be with some random girl the first time I see him since Saturday. But I guess that didn't really mattered, nothing mattered. Because like I had said before; two strangers with familiar faces but no interest.

Two strangers with familiar faces...

I take a deep breath once again
reaching closer to the main doors of the building, the building of hell as most call it. But before I was able to do so, my body was brought back a couple of steps into someone's grip.

"Look who it is..." Austin's voice sent shocking shivers right through me. His hand was placed gently on my waist but I changed that once I pulled away. I'm not going over this again.

"You're back." I emphasized lowering my voice but loud enough for him to hear me.

"Sure am."

"You said I wouldn't be seeing you." I added referring back to that night at the party.

"Oh so now you don't want to see me?" Austin said frowning. "That's hurts me, Mia." He moved his hand over to his chest and placed it by his heart; he was being sarcastic. I only glared at him. Austin took his hand away and right away a known cocky smirk appeared on the corner of his lips.

"Well maybe," he starts tugging at my sweater pulling me a little closer to him. "I wanted to see you..."

My legs felt like pudding and I was almost positive I was going to crack.

Don't. Let. Him. Get. To. You.

I wasn't planning to. "Well, I didn't- and don't want to see you." I crossed my arms against my chest. My feet took steps back away from him.

Austin chuckled, fixing his hair slowly. He didn't have his usual beanie on. "Aw babe, don't be like that." He's using that little charm of his, that charm he has used on far too many girls. "We both know you really wanted to see me."

Austin was having way too much fun with this, but I wasn't having it. He was going back to his old tricks, or maybe he never really left them. I didn't care anyhow because he wasn't getting the best of me. He was testing me, but there was no way in hell I was going to fail. That's what he wanted; to see me throwing myself at him like every other girl. But here's the thing... I'm not every other girl.

"Don't flatter yourself." I scoffed pushing his arm. But Austin doesn't move, he's too strong for me to even try. I hated that.

The sound of Austin's laugh echoed trough my ears. "You are something else."

"Same goes for you."

"You know," he circled around my body entirety at a slow motion. "I'm not sure if that's a compliment or an insult."

I tilted my head to the side and smiled sarcastically once he was face to face with me. "Take as it is." I shrugged. "Now if you excuse me, I'll get going- I don't want to be late because of you."

Once again I started to make my way over to the front doors and just like the first time, Austin's hand pulled me back to him. It was really starting to annoy me. I didn't want to be late for physiology, it was one of my favorite classes and I had an exam today for which I couldn't be late.

"You act like it's a crime a crime to be late." Austin argued shaking his head twice.

I adjusted the bag on my shoulder annoyingly. "With you, everything is a crime."

It was true though, everything felt wrong when Austin was involved, even if things were right. I guess it was the rush in danger that made me feel such way, I couldn't explain. My response didn't satisfy Austin because the next thing I know, his hand had harshly grabbed my arm pinning my body to his own aggressively. I searched all around his face and there was that one thing in his eyes that showed me he was someone else- someone I was terrified of.

"You are really starting to get on my nerves." He breathed in my face nothing but pure anger.

It was no time for weakness. That was over; done with. Dropping my bag on my other shoulder to the ground, I reached my hand to Austin's chest and pushed myself away from him. Leaving him glaring back towards me. The late bell rung just in time, I cursed myself for being late. Everyone was gone, probably already in class, leaving Austin and I here alone. Something I did not like or want all together.

"You-" I stepped back pointing at Austin. "You are always like this!" I yelled in his face. "Always changing yourself every single damn second. Going from one mood to another."

Austin didn't seem to care what I had to say, he rolled his eyes while fixing his black jacket I had just pulled. "That's how you keep them attracted sweetheart." He licked his lips right after closing his eyes for a brief second.

"Well I'm sick and tired of it!" I raised my voice louder this time.

"That's how I kept you attracted. It seems to yet still be working, since here you are talking to me- unable to let me go, unable to stop thinking of me."

I scoffed obnoxiously while shaking my head in a dragged sarcastic laugh. "Please," I stated."You're the last thing on my mind."

Technically that wasn't a lie, he wasn't the last thing on my mind... He was the first. But there wasn't a chance I was going to let him know that. It would only finally give him what he wants- me falling for his games just like every other. I didn't work like that.

"Mia, is that all you do? Lie?" A smiled crossed his face. "That's your new hobby isn't it? Well you're not such a good liar."

"No," I retorted. "My new hobby is pushing cocky manslut assholes like you!"

With no regret at all, I pushed Austin with all my force away from me. Making him almost trip with his own feet. Just like that, I picked up my bag, swung it over my shoulder and made my way over to the main doors of the building. And not once did I look back.

I regretted nothing.

-----------------------------

VOTE & COMMENT!!