106. Mom City

"I think I'm going to walk today." Ted remarked kissing Poppy's cheek.

"I"m going to sleep another five minutes." Poppy murmured.

"Love you."

"Love you." She echoed sleepily.

"Hey, Ted. Good luck this weekend."

"I appreciate you, Susan." Ted answered walking along the trail. "Hey, Ms. Barnaby. Rough night?"

"Ted, if it's not rough, it isn't fun."

"oh, boy. " Ted chuckled prancing along.

"Hiya."

"Hey, fellas. How you doing?"

"What's up, Coach?"

"Hey, wanker. Don't get all cocky and fuck up that streak you're on."

"What streak?"

" Go Richmond."

"Yes, sir... Morning."

"Hey. How you doing?" Ted kept walking but froze backtracking. "Mom?"

"Hey, Teddy."

"Okay off you get. Oh shoot, coat! Tablet! Book!" Poppy's head was all over the place today. "I need shoes, screw it." She grumbled "We are getting tea from the shop on the way, you want a tart too?"

"yes!" Birdie called out. They were running out the door as Ted was leading his mother back.

"Home sweet home." Ted remarked opening the door and putting his mothers suitcase inside. She glanced around looking at the dolls and pictures on the fridge. Looking at the family photos of Poppy and Birdie and Rebecca, some of Ted framed with Birdie and Henry too. She touched the pictures Birdie had drawn and Ted's breath caught in his throat.

"The artist is little Birdie..." Ted offered. She nodded moving to the stove.

"What are all these crazy symbols on your oven dial?" Dottie Lasso asked.

"Yeah, um, well, the one with the line under the nuclear power symbol, that's for making cookies and chicken. The, uh, three squiggly lines let you burn a frozen pizza. And the key symbol there, that makes the whole thing beep until Poppy comes over and fixes it for me. Is everything okay, Mom?"

"Oh, sure. I'm just looking around." Dottie agreed. She looked at the legos that were surely Henrys and sighed.

" No, no. No, I mean, you being here in London. Is everything okay?" Ted questioned.

" Oh, yeah. Everything's fine."

"Uh-huh." Ted answered in disbelief.

"I just always wanted to see England, so I booked this trip as a little Mother's Day gift to myself."

"Hmm. Okay. Well, um, I mean, how long you been here?" Ted questioned.

" Just a week."

"A week? Where the heck you staying? " Ted countered flabbergasted.

"This adorable little hostel. "

" Mom..."

" Now, I met so many Australians. They are backpacking through Europe."

" Uh-huh." Ted drawled confused.

"So much sex."

" Mom." Ted groaned.

" No, not me.  The Australians." Dottie assured.

"  No, no, I get it. Okay. Uh, well, look, how about you stay here for the rest of your trip, all right?"

"Only if I'm not a hassle. " Dottie agreed.

"You're not a hassle, Mom, okay? Please stay here."

" Okay. But this isnt your place is it?"

"What do you mean?" Ted countered.

"This is your girlfriends home, you just live here." Dottie remarked.

"Yes but Poppy is going to love you." Ted assured. His mother gave a noncommittal hum. "Birdie is the sweetest little thing too." Ted added. "They will be happy to have you here. We even got an extra room that henry usually stays in."

"If you dont think she will mind."

"SHe wont." Ted assured. "Poppy is perfect."

"Alright then." Dottie agreed.

' Okay, good. All right.  Now, look, I gotta get to work."

"All righty. Have fun. "

"Um. You wanna tag along?"

' Well, I don't wanna be in your hair." Dottie countered.

" Mom, I want you in my hair. Okay?" Ted assured. "I want you in my friends' and coworkers' hair. I want you to meet my Poppy. Now, please. Come on with."

" Okay, thank you. I would like that."

" All right, good. You don't have to bring your suitcase, Mom."

" Okay. I'll just grab my coat..."

"Yeah."

".. get my bag... leave my worries on the doorstep." She sung out. Ted groaned.

"Yeah, just direct your feet that way, Mom. Okay. "

"I thought ted would have beaten us here." Poppy remarked. "He left before us."

"is he driving suddenly?" Rebecca questioned, Poppy laughed.

"No." Poppy assured. "But he left a good ten minutes before we did and we stopped for tea and tarts." Poppy countered. "I'm going to call him make sure he's alright." The phone rang and rang and Poppy's worries increased.

"He's probably just enjoying the morning." Rebecca offered. "Or in the locker room already and you missed him."

"Maybe." Poppy agreed.

"We can check for daddy again." Birdie suggested.

"Thats a good idea." Poppy agreed grabbing her hand.

"I'm sure he is fine Poppy." Rebecca called after her.

"yeah." Poppy agreed softly as they headed down to the coaches office.