97. Glitter on the Floor

Getaway Car/ House of the dragon out now!
Ted hated that he had to answer her the way he did. But Poppy being perfect like he knew she would be understood.

"No," he told her. He bet she thought she's gotten away with hiding her disappointment, but he saw it.

"That's alright, I understand, I'm... glad." she told him, even though he knew she felt that same ache in her chest he did at the thought of leaving. She couldn't say goodbye so easily. His finger traced her jawline and down her collarbone as he whispered.

  "It's never goodbye. Only until next time... just a few days." Ted assured. Poppy nodded gnawing at dry lips. "I'm coming back." He assured.

"I believe you." Poppy agreed. But it was a sneak peek at how they would end. Choosing between here and there. Poppy knew there would win.

The best part about life was that nothing lasted forever. Not even heartbreak. But Poppy knew if this ended her heart wouldnt just be broken it would be shattered.

Her broken shattered heart could mend but Birdie's... she didn't even want to think what losing the man Birdie called daddy would do to her.

"Could we come with?" Birdie questioned.

"We have that meeting with American girl doll in two days." Poppy reminded her. Birdie nodded, she was so excited last week for it until she found out that Ted was going home for a bit. She thought this was home. "And Ted needs some time with Henry alone..." She added softly.

"I'm going to miss you like crazy, but its only a week not even a full week." Ted reminded birdie.

"You can come home sooner if you really miss me, Daddy." Birdie assured hugging him. Ted wanted to cry. He was torn between two children. One of his own blood and the other that had so easily become his.

"I'm going to facetime you every darn day until I'm hugging you again." Ted assured.

"Boots is going to miss your pets too." Birdie added looking to their orange cat.

"You are going to have to love him extra for me and your mama. Can you make sure to give her big hugs from me?"

"I can do that." Birdie agreed.

"Every day?"

"Every darn day." Birdie agreed. 

"Good girl." Ted whispered kissing the top of her head before looking to Poppy. "I need another hug." Ted requested.

Her head fell against his shoulder as sadness overwhelms her. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her hair as she buries her face into his chest. Her small body shakes in his arms. Pain flowed through him.

"I'm going to make you some bread for when you get back, my sourdough starter is finally growing." Poppy whispered.

"Could you make sunflower seed bread?" Ted questioned.

"Mamas in her sourdough era!" Birdie declared running to get Boots to say goodbye to Ted.

"Sunflower seed bread?" Poppy questioned.

"Its my favorite," ted agreed.

"Then I will get a recipe and make you the best sunflower seed bread you have ever tasted." Poppy agreed. Her words brushed against his parted lips, taunting him with their nearness.

The best way to pass a lonely night with ted gone was taylor swift.

Cassie and Trent came over for a viewing party of the eras tour. The girls got all dressed up and trent screenshotted a dozen cocktails for them to try based on each album. They moved the furniture so they could dance.

"Thanks for this Trent." Poppy said clinking her glass to his.

"Thank you for suppling the alcohol." Trent countered. 

"I miss him like crazy, he calls every chance he gets but its not the same, and i know," She whispered as the girls jumped around singing into little fake microphones. "that he needs this time with Henry but..."

"He is your family too and him leaving even if just for a bit..." Trent pondered. 

"Makes my heart hurt." Poppy agreed. "Makes me worry what our future holds if his heart is being pulled between here and there."

"Thats a question for ted when he comes back, a serious conversation you two should have had before you fell this deeply in love with him." 

"I know but I was an idiot that fell in love." Poppy agreed. 

The girls were so tired after the concert and passed out on the couch. Trent and poppy were happily buzzed and not far behind the girls. There was glitter all over the floor when they woke up and Boots had gotten into the left over pizza, he was chewing at a piece of crust when Poppy plopped him off the counter. 

It seemed like time slowed down when Ted was gone. Now she knew what he felt like when Henry was coming to visit or leaving, checking the flight, checking reports, staring at her phone endlessly, getting the airport early and throwing herself into his arms the moment he stepped foot outside.

"Never leave me again." Poppy whispered. Worst five days of her life.