49. Girl Talk

You Belong with me / Jon Snow out now!

"Oh, no. Totally." Rebecca agreed. 

"Good, I'm proud of you." Keeley agreed.

"Thanks." Rebecca agreed.

"Am I allowed to speak yet?" Ted pondered.

"Oh, sorry, Ted. It's just a little bit of girl talk about a gentleman suitor I've gone out with a few times."

"Gentleman suitor." Poppy chuckled. "God you are so old Becca." she swatted a hand at Poppy. 

"Nice. A little girl talk. I get it." Ted agreed taking a step forward. "What's his name..." Keeley and Rebecca both shh'd him. "Oh." Ted took a step back awkwardly. Poppy smiled up at Ted. He winked back at her as she got up. Rebecca's gaze shifted to them as Ted bent down, kissing Poppy. Rebecca wanted a love like that.

"Are you guys up for a double date next week? Let him prove his mettle. Triple date? Poppy!" Rebecca questioned. 

"Abso-fucking-lutely." Keeley agreed.

"What do you think?" Poppy questioned Ted. 

"I'm in as in can be." Ted agreed. 

"Can you ask Roy if he's free?" Rebecca questioned. 

"He's free. Don't worry." Keeley assured.

"Okay, cool." Rebecca started texting again. 

"H-Hey, did Roy come to the game today?" Ted questioned.

"Oh, no, he didn't. Sorry, Ted." Keeley finally looked up at him.

"Oh, no, that's okay. I'm sure he'll swing by at some point, right? Hey, he knows he's always got a ticket waiting for him at will call, yeah?" Ted questioned.

"Yeah."

"I will bug him." POppy assured. "He can't stay away forever."

"Good, okay. And don't forget, I don't put it under his name. I don't want folks messing with him. It's under an alias." Ted reminded her. "Like, last week it was, um, uh, Loretta Lynn, this week was Dolly Parton, and next week is, if I remember correctly, Shania Twain."

"Just brilliant." Keeley agreed through laughter. "And it's nothing personal. It's just that he's been so busy with this new coaching gig."

+

"He has the y-i-p-s." Poppy remarked after another difficult game. Dani the always happy and cheery man was replaced with a beckon of death. 

Football was no longer life. Football was death. 

Poppy was busy at her desk trying to figure out how to fix Dani while Birdie was doing her school work. It was a fun adjustment them both doing work together. Poppy was never school motivated she was football motivated. She did alright in school but she didnt know where Birdie got her beautiful brain from. 

"Mama whats this?" That was a rare question for Birdie. Poppy looked up from her laptop as Birdie flipped around her book. 

"That's a... lets look it up, its been a while since I have had to do equations like that." Poppy decided. "We can go down in anything you want, you skipped over a few grades doesnt mean thats where you should be, just where those snobs thought you should know based on your reading."

"I'm not so good at math." Birdie agreed. 

"Lets start with basics." Poppy agreed. "You will be back up at this level in no time." 

"Sorry, Ted.  I... I was just hoping you were Keeley." Rebecca admitted when Ted came into the office. 

"That's okay. I wish I was Keeley three, four times a day." Ted mused. "Here you go." He handed off the biscuits.

"Thank you."

"Let me guess. You got a fever for the flavor of a little girl talk?" Ted offered. Rebecca nodded. "Well, shoot, why don't you let me take a crack at it?"

" Really?"

"Yeah, why not?" Ted agreed. "Come on I talk with your sister all the time, its different but similar I'm sure." 

"Oh. Okay, what the hell." Rebecca agreed and Ted sat down on the couch beside her as Keeley had been doing the previous day.

"Uh, so this, um, chap I've been seeing, John."

"Stamos?" Ted questioned impressed.

"No, his name's John Wingsnight." Rebecca corrected. Poppy came in to tell Rebecca she was popping out to the store for some different math books but heard teds voice and her steps slowed. 

" Okay."

"But that's not the point."

"Mm-hmm. Now hold on a second. His name's John Wingsnight?" Ted questioned.

" Yes."

"Like at a sports bar? Like, "Monday night's wings night down at PJ Flatts", like that?"

"Ted, would you please stop?"

"Rule number one: Even though it's called "girl talk", sometimes it needs to be more like, "Girl, listen" Ted agreed. "Got it. Learning on the fly here. Come on. hit me." Poppy chuckled biting her lip as to not disturb them. Ted was adorable. 

"All right, thank you. So, John, um, I mean... I mean, he's a wonderful man. He's very handsome, um, successful."

"Ooh. Nice." Ted agreed leaning in.

"Not shy." Rebecca added as Poppys phone buzzed, she grabbed it moving farther into the hall. 

"Mmm, is he nice to you?" Ted questioned of course that would be a ted question and it was a good question.

"Uh, yes. Yes, very." Rebecca agreed but she started thinking that through.

"Hey stranger." Poppy said into the phone. She grabbed Birdies hand and decided to text rebecca that she was out of office for a bit and let her and Ted bond. 

"Hey Pop." Roy answered. "You didnt call to con me into coming to a double triple date." 

"I didnt." Poppy agreed. "Let your girlfriend do that." She added. "So you coming?" 

"I guess." Roy muttered. 

"Good."

"Good." He grumbled. 

"I'm glad but that also means I dont have a free babysitter for Birdie boo." Poppy added. 

"I'm not a baby." Birdie corrected. "Give me the phone." 

" Good. Yeah, he sounds great." Ted agreed. "So I'm confused. Is there a problem here?"

"Well... Actually, I suppose not."

"Okay. Okay, so rule number two is sometimes girl talk can just be blabbing away about stuff, and nothing has to really change, and no one has to solve anything?"

"Yeah, that's exactly right."

"I love it. Let's keep going."

"Roy I miss you, when are you coming back?" Birdie questioned. 

"Yeah Roy?" Poppy demanded. "When are you coming back?" 

"I... fuck you both."