104. XO

"You want to talk about it?"

"Nope." Poppy answered as she made mac and cheese for Birdie. She grabbed a can of tuna and pulled some peas from the freezer. Boots came running for the tuna juice. 

"Poppy..."

"You hate me?"

"What?"

"I was ready to kill him."

"I wanted to do what you did." Ted countered. "Oh the prison for life things that went through my head when I realized who that was. But you clearly had it handled but... I was ready to strange him."

"i'm a feminist obviously but I wouldn't really mind you saving me." Poppy assured. "And I know that I'm fine without a man but I think I would like your protection Ted. I can picture it." 

"You can? I can go back there and beat him up with false compliments and black eyes, would you ice my hand afterwards?" Ted questioned. "Seriously though, I mean it... If anybody hurts you again. I'm going to prison for life."

"I would send you love letters in jail." Poppy answered kissing him. 

XXX

The windows were opened just inches, the curtains blowing with the cool evening breeze that dances along their bare skin. Poppy rolled over hiding from the cold in ted side. 

 Her eyes fluttered open, lips curl into a perfect smile, and she cupped the back of his head like he had done to her so many times. Then she pulled him back down to her for a slow kiss.  Their kiss ends when something falling in the kitchen. 

"Birdie?" Poppy called out but Boots meowed in answer. 

"Now, the hottest team in the country is clearly Richmond on a ten-game winning streak on the back of some inspired play by Sam Obisanya. Jeff, you have to think Sam Obisanya will make his Nigeria debut, or the world's gone truly mad. But our top story: the mysterious managerial vacancy at West Ham United. The club has suddenly parted ways with the Wonder Kid, Nathan Shelley."

"It's a shocker, Jeff. They were having a great season. Yeah, but look, Nate Shelley isn't the reason West Ham are in second place. I mean, "Wonder Kid"? Come on.  He was my kit man, for God's sake."

"No, Rupert Mannion is the brains behind this whole operation. Okay. Uh, let's turn our attention to the international break. National squad announcements are trickling in. Which players will get the honor of representing their country?"

"Hey, quick reminder. Because of the break in our schedule due to international play, there is no game next week, all right? All right. Hey, look, kind of hurts my feelings y'all don't want to spend next weekend with me, if I'm being honest. But I am the strong silent type, so I ain't gonna let you know. But I'm also loud and weak, because I, like all humans, contain multitudes. Am I right? " Ted agreed. 

"Great speech." Jamie murmured. Poppy had plans to stay in bed with ted all weekend. She loved international play days. She sat on the desk her legs swinging, birdie copied her, today was a short day, they had a meeting with their company later today and birdie was so excited. She had been drawing the labels for the next product launch.

"Anyhoo, we want to say good night and good luck to the fellas on our squad that have been chosen to represent their home country next week. Coach, who we talking about?" Ted questioned looking to Beard.

"Just up the way at Wembley, making his debut for England, Jamie Tartt!  Taking the plane to Toronto to play goal for Canada, Van Damme!"

"He's got a plane ticket." Jamie agreed.