14. Wither

"Good evening, and welcome to the Tenth Annual Benefit for Underprivileged Children. If I could hug each of you as a thank you for your kind donations, well..." Rebecca chuckled. "I probably wouldn't because, as we all know, I'm not much of a hugger." the guested laughed out and Ted nodded to her.

Birdie sipped her drink and stabbed at her meal. She was the youngest one in the room but she was used to that. Poppys gaze focused on rebecca although she desperately wanted to take a peek back at ted. He looked so handsome tonight.

"Now, I do hope you've all brought your checkbooks with you for our auction later. Because you can all bid on our very own Richmond players." Rebecca went on.

"Same rule as always, no hanky-panky unless the player signs a waiver." another round of laughter and Rebecca squinted through the spotlight to see who spoke, it sounded like, but it couldn't be...

"Rupert?"

"Hello, darling." Rupert agreed. "Ah Poppet gorgeous as always." Rupert kissed her cheek as he passed her table.

"What a... lovely surprise." Rebecca offered trying to recover. Rebecca stared down at her sister but Poppy didnt know. She didnt know he would be here, didnt know why he was here except to piss them off and steal the spotlight. 

"Oh. Weren't you expecting me?"

"Only 'cause you RSVP'd no."

"Well, one of the perks of being a wealthy good-for-nothing." Rupert mused. "Sometimes my nights just magically free up." He walked up the steps to the stage. "Ooh. May I? Thank you." He agreed taking the mic. "Gals and gents, with your help, we raised £800,000 last year." there was a round of applause. "And this year, hopefully even more. Well, I know I'm crashing your party, but I so badly wanna help." Rupert went on. "My fingers and toes are crossed that you will have me."

"Of course." Rebecca agreed. "Uh, let's get him a seat at the boring table."

"Oh-ho!" Rupert chuckled

"Only joking." Rebecca assured. "Table four. Rupert Mannion, everyone."

"Thanks, doll."

"Had you any idea-"

"Not a damn clue. The nerve of that man." Poppy griped.

"Did I look like an idiot? I felt like an idiot." Rebecca murmured getting another drink.

"No. You were perfect. Hes the problem." Poppy assured. "You recovered quicker than I would have if you know who came strutting up."

"Why does he have to look so good? Why cant he have gotten fat and bald?" Rebecca muttered.

"The evil ones keep their looks while their souls rot away." Poppy assured. "Its how they stay on top."

"Not for long." Rebecca assured marching off.

"Yet another reason shirts exist." Keeley remarked as Jamie spilled his soup down his chest, he was in a jacket no shirt, he thought he looked good and albeit, he did.

"Shut up, it's not funny. I burned my nipple." Jamie countered grabbing an ice cube from his drink.

"I wish I was that ice cube." An older woman remarked looking Jamie over. "I will be bidding for a night with you."

"Oh. Thanks, love. Uh... Yeah, it's, um, it's just a date though. It's not a whole night. So..." Jamie corrected. Birdie jumped up beside roy. She handed him a picture.

"Thats rubbish." Roy remarked. Birdie laughed out.

"Then you are rubbish. I drew you dumb dumb." Birdie corrected.