~~One~~

Kira

Turning a new age was supposed to be a big change for me, but I knew without a doubt that nothing special was coming my way.

I was stuck in the most forsaken place on earth, and lived with other omegas in torn, rat-infested tents. There was no reason to celebrate as I was going to bed hungry.

Perhaps my hunger blinded my thoughts when my friends suggested sneaking into the main pack for a food hunt.

"It's Alpha D'angelo's coronation party and your eighteenth birthday," Amari, my best friend, said as she flung an an orange mini dress on my head.  She surely got it from the pack's bin. "Wear that dress and flaunt your curves to the world, Kira. Stop hiding behind ugly shirts and oversized skirts.

I stared at Amari like she'd lost her mind. She wasn't wrong about my curves. I was slim but blessed with curves bigger than a mountain road. But my beauty didn't change the fact that I was omega.

"I can't go out looking like a call girl, and no, I don't have a death wish. My mom will kill me for stepping foot into the main pack."

Amari dismissed my claim by popping her banana bubblegum. "This is our chance to sneak in and get some good food for our starving families. The boys are coming with us. You deserve at least a night of fun.”

I tugged on my sleeve. The prospect of eating good food appealed to me but I was afraid of getting caught.

“Yay!" Amari clapped when I agreed to go with them for the food hunt. “We're meeting under the oak tree at ten pm after our moms start snoring like a herd of wild animals."

Thanks to our omega blood, we were separated from the rest of the pack. Our dads left their families because they were sick of being humiliated.

Later that night, I lay beside my mom on my thin mattress, waiting for her to sleep. Her soft snores were a cue to leave. I pushed back my sheets, slipped out of bed, and crept across the tent. Moonlight streamed in through the leaking roof. Soon, the rains would arrive and soak us to the skin.

I tiptoed towards the small opening in the back of the tent that led to a balcony overlooking the camp where about ten omegas my age gathered under the oak tree.

My boyfriend, Zion's burning eyes held mine, shining with raw lust. He pulled me closer, ogling at my outfit and licked his lips like a cat lapping milk.

I groaned because I'd been avoiding him for hours now. He was asking for sex now that I turned eighteen but I wasn't ready.

He was a tall and lanky eighteen-year-old, strong-willed and stubborn, so his recent pressure to sleep with me bothered me. His palms cupped my buttcheeks and I took a deep breath to steady my racing nerves.

"Tonight, we're going to make sweet love," he grinned, revealing his buck tooth that stood out from the rest of his teeth. It had a slight discoloration, like a tiny coffee stain on a white shirt.

"I'd hoped the moon goddess would pair us before we consummate our bond."

"I can't wait, Kira. Feel my cock, it's throbbing for you. If we don't do it tonight, I might die."

Swallowing my fear, I looked away. Zion was good to me. He gave me food, and affection, and also protected me during heat when other omegas tried to pounce on me. I liked him and had no plans to reject him if the moon goddess paired us.

But now, his demands for our lovemaking were choking me. I couldn't lose my virginity until I was sure he was my mate.

"I know, but..."

"But nothing!" His fingers gripped my hips tightly, making me wince.

"We need to take things slow, Zion. Please."