Chapter 77: flashforwards

*One month later: July 2023*
He gives her a kiss in front of all the camera's. Charles won the race in Hungary after he drove an amazing race. You were in an all red outfit and fans seemed to love it. Since you were publicly dating Charles, you'd become way more known. Being the head of RedBull racing social media team luckily didn't mean you had to be in RedBull clothes, which Charles didn't mind at all. After the podium ceremony he finds you again.
Yn: You did amazing, again. Wish I could update the RedBull Instagram with a p1, but still happy for you.
Charles: Come on here Bells.
He lifted you up while he was completely dripping with champagne, which meant you were also completely soaked afterwards. This gives you a weird feeling of deja vu, but you quickly shake that off. You take out your phone and make a picture of you and Charles, after which you post it on your Instagram.
'Liked by Lando Norris'
That was weird, he didn't follow you on Instagram and you didn't follow him either. But still, he was one of the first to like your post.

*Four months later, November 2023*

'There is only one champion to be, and it looks like it will be Max Verstappen in 2023. For the third time in a row, Max Verstappen is champion of the world!'
Max sprinted towards you as you were for him, only for today, dressed in RedBull colours.
Yn: YOU DROVE AMAZING TODAY!
Max: LIKE ALWAYS!
He lifts you up and spins you around, after which he finds his way to his girlfriend Kelly. He'd been with her since the summer, and you were unbelievably happy for him. She was very kind and the stability Max needed. He looks over his shoulder and shouts at you.
Max: Go comfort your boyfriend Bells, so I can go celebrate.
Bells, the nickname that stuck with everyone because of Charles. He finished second in the championship. One day he would be world champion, you were sure of it. 

*Nine months later, April 2024*

Charles pov:
Charles: Happy Birthday Bells, make a wish.
She blows out the candles on the birthday cake he baked himself. It wasn't the most pretty one but it was the gesture that counted.
Yn: Thanks, Percy.
It was her new nickname for him, Percy, which was short for Perceval. He honestly thought it was far-fetched, but she was so happy with herself thinking of it. Honestly, it was very adorable.
Charles: I'm sure it tastes better than it looks.
Yn: I'll probably devour it, after my run alright?
Charles: Need me to come with you?
Yn: No it's fine, I already have such a busy day ahead of me. I'd like some time alone if that's okay?
Charles: Sure Bells, it's your day so whatever you want.

After she leaves for her run he decides to get her flowers. He's about to leave when he sees an envelope laying on the ground by the door. It couldn't be from Lando, right? No, it was probably a birthday card from someone else. When he lays the envelope on her kitchen counter he sees that the envelope is not sealed. Wouldn't hurt to make sure, right?

It was, in fact, a letter from Lando yet again. The last one he'd sended had been almost one year ago. Again he knows he shouldn't have, but he still opened the letter and started reading.

Dear Yn,

It's been almost a year since we last spoke, and I wanted to reach out on this special day to wish you a happy birthday. I remember the time we spent together, and I know I made some dumb mistakes. Again, I'm really sorry for hurting you multiple times. I've been thinking a lot about what you said about love not being enough, and I realised you were right. It takes more than love to make a relationship work.

Since we broke up, I've been trying to grow up and be more responsible. I've learned from my mistakes, and I want to become a better person. I only want your happiness, even if it means you're happy with someone else. Charles seems to make you happy, and that's all that matters to me.

Know that I'll always be here for you, loving you still to this day. I hope you have an amazing birthday and a wonderful year ahead. You deserve all the happiness in the world. Your present can be found by your door, because it didn't fit underneath your door.

I love you,
Lando

Ps. Congrats on your promotion, you deserve it.

Shit, why was he being so kind to her. If he just wrote some stupid bullshit in his letter he could just give it to her, but now he couldn't. He didn't need Lando's meddling. He opened the door to see what Lando had given her for her birthday. He took a big box inside and opened it up. It was a teddy bear. As he read the instructions it became clear to press the belly of the teddy bear and it would say something. He pressed the belly of the teddy bear and listened, expecting Lando's voice. He couldn't be more wrong.

"Hey honey, we can't wait to see you again next week"
"yes your mom missed you pumpkin'
"stop joking around, you've missed her just as much as I have''
"she knows I was kidding, of course i missed you pumpkin. See you soon"

He didn't recognize the voices, but he had a strong suspicion he just heard her parents' voices. His heart broke for her, she'd love this present. Damn, Lando, this really wasn't the time to give her something he couldn't keep from her. That's why he decided to still make sure she'd get this present, just without knowing who it came from. He was not planning on giving this letter to her as well.