Chapter 44

Lando's pov:

How could she be engaged with Max and keep teasing him like that.

He saw the need in her eyes for him. He saw the disgust every time Lily was found near him or anyone else for that matter.

He felt the same disgust, he didn't even like Lily.

He wanted to get back at her for kissing Max, that was the only reason he was together with Lily.

But, she didn't say anything to him after she got back from god knows where.

He hoped being with Lily would provoke her for an explanation, one he still hadn't gotten and he couldn't handle it anymore.

He walks to her room and knocks on the door.

She opens the door and looks at him, confused.

Lando: Take that ring off right now.

Yn: How's your girlfriend?

Lando: Stop playing games with me.

Yn: I am playing games? You never even broke up with me. I just had to find out through your new girlfriend.

Lando: And I had to find out through the paper.

Yn: That's not what happened, I shoved him away. But before I could explain, you were with her!

Lando: Then why are you wearing that ring?

Yn: Because he actually cares for me, he took care of me when you were nowhere to be found.

Lando: You disappeared for a week, how could I have taken care of you?

Yn: I disappeared because I had to bury both my parents.

A deafening silence.

Yn: While you were kissing your new girlfriend I buried my parents and Max was there for me. You caused me so much hurt and THAT'S why I decided to put that ring on my finger. I needed the pain to end. I need someone who takes care of me instead of someone who keeps hurting me. And Max really cares for me, he makes me feel better.

Lando: I didn't know...

Yn: How could you have? You never asked.

Lando: But, you kissed him before they.., that happened.

Yn: I wanted to explain about how I shoved Max away after he kissed me after I got back from the funeral. But by then you had already replaced me.

Lando: You are irreplaceable.

Yn: To me it seems you did just fine. You know I cried my eyes out after Max kissed me because I was so worried about you, hell that's even why I passed out the day later.

He's connecting all the dots, her crying that night, Max saying she passed out because of him, her redshot eyes before the race. It all started to make sense.

Lando: So that's why you bumped into me crying, was it after he kissed you?

She blinks, seeming to connect some dots herself.

Yn: Was that you? I couldn't see through all the tears.

He decides to take a step closer to her, not bearing the distance between them.

Lando: I'm so sorry that happened to you baby. And I'm so sorry about your parents. Shit, I'm such an ass.

She laughs, he's surprised by that reaction.

Yn: You really are an ass.

He gives her an apologetic smile.

Lando: You know, I haven't been able to stop thinking about you.

Yn: Lan...

Lando: No baby this time?

He felt desperate to get her back. He feels bad for not being there for her when she needed him, and for replacing her to make her jealous while she was grieving for her parents.

She looks at the ring around her finger, playing with it. He looks at it as well. He wanted to take it off and throw it through the window.

Lando: I promise I can treat you better, if only you gave me one last ch-

Max: Lando mate, what are you doing here?

Sh*t, worst timing ever.

Lando: I was just dropping by, to give her my condolences. Goodnight, mup- eh, yn.

Yn: Goodnight, Lando.

She looked at him with big hurt eyes. The mess he created for her, how could he have let it come to this?

Max walks past him. He's still standing in the door opening. Max gives her a kiss, Landos stomach turns. Max was touching his girl.

Max: Later, mate.

Before he could say anything Max turns around and closes the door.

He dropped to the floor, against the door, not being able to move.

If he thought it was impossible to hurt even more than he was now, he was wrong.

He heard her through the door, giggling because of something Max said. He heard Max's voice in the distance.

Max: The bath is ready, my wife to be.

He felt nauseous, wanting to run away but unable to.

Yn: I'm coming, husband to be.

He heard her laughing with Max.

He didn't hear her laugh in so long, and it pained him it wasn't him who caused her to laugh.

He should've fought for her, he practically pushed her away from him right in Maxs' arms.

Max: Are you seriously going to eat icecream in the bathtub?

He hears her laughing.

Yn: It's that or crying my eyes out, Max.

Max: Well then you should eat it all.

He hears them laughing, and for the first time in a long time a tear rolls down his cheek.

He doesn't know how, but he manages to get up and get back to his room.

He cried for hours, for her, about her, about Max, about being so stupid. Her parents died and what did he do? He got a new girlfriend to make her jealous, one he didn't even like. He blamed her for kissing Max, while she pushed him away. And worst of all, he wasn't there for her when she needed him the most, but Max was, and now Max had his girl. God how he wanted to take that ring off her finger and throw it into the ocean, so that he would never have to see it again. That night he falls asleep wishing he was the one to draw her a bath and get her ice cream. He didn't even know what her favorite icecream was, something that pained him even though it shouldn't have.