Chapter 51

Lando's pov:

He looked up to one of the tv screens in the motorhome, and there she was. Max had his arm around her, she was telling him to be safe. So that's where she went off to. A spark of jealousy stabbed his chest. Why wasn't she here, telling him to be safe after the night they had.

She wasn't back in time to wish him good luck, and that frustrated him. It was only after his shower after FP2 that he found her. He was wearing her sweater again. She was standing in the parking lot, alone. He wanted to get mad at her, but when he got her to face him he saw her red puffy eyes.

Lando: What happened?

She sobbed: Max- he- we-

He took her face in his hands.

Lando: Did he hurt you? I swear I'm going to ki-

Yn: No, no, we just-

She was still crying. He didn't know what to do.

Yn's pov:

*Earlier that day*

After FP1 you head back to the Red Bull motorhome.

Yn: Hey, you did great.

Max takes off his helmet.

Max: Thanks.

Yn: The McLarens were also performing well today.

Max: I noticed, just as I noticed something else. Can we talk?

Yn: Right now? I'm working.

Max: It'll just take a minute.

Yn: Sure.

You walk with him to Maxs' drivers room. You close the door behind you.

Yn: What is it?

Max: Where is your ring?

So that's what this was about. You remember Lando taking it off last night.

Yn: I forgot to put it on this morning. Sleeping with it on is very uncomfortable and I was in a rush this morning.

Max: So, we're still engaged?

Yn: Max... I told you, I don't know if we should be together anymore. Not when it's obvious you don't support my career choices.

Max: Please baby, no, I love you.

He tries to kiss you, but you pull away. A tear rolls down your face.

Yn: Please Max, don't...

Max: You know you've never ever said you love me.

You're full on crying at this point. His voice is soft and unsteady.

Max: You don't love me at all, do you baby?

Yn: Max I do really love you.

Max: But you're not in love with me are you?

You whisper: No, I'm not.

He looks away from you.

Yn: You were there for me when my parents died, and I so appreciate you for that, and I do really love you. But, I'm just not in love with you.

Max: I should have known it wasn't me, it was never me.

Yn: I'm so sorry Max.

Max: It's okay. You're my best friend and I'd rather know now, before it's too late.

You start crying even harder.

Yn: I really- tried- to be- in love- with you. I- promise- you, I tried...

Max: It's okay... I might have forced you to try to love me. I forced that kiss, I gave you that ring even though you didn't ask for it. You needed a friend and I forced this relationship on you, I'm so sorry.

You give him a hug.

Yn: I don't want to lose you as my best friend.

Max: You won't. I'm right here.

He calms you down, stroking your hair. Finally having this conversation with Max felt as such a relief.

Max: But I do have to say something just once.

Yn: Tell me.

Max: If you ever regret us ending, if you ever want to get back with me, I'm all yours.

Yn: I don't want you to wait for me.

Max: I won't, but deep down you will always be my first love and I'll always choose you over anyone else.

You give him a smile through your tears.

Max: See that's the girl I want to see everyday.

You laugh at him.

Yn: Shut up Max.

Max: And for the record, I am so proud of you. I know this new job is everything you've ever wanted and you deserve it.

You start crying again, shit this sucked.

Yn: I'm so afraid of being alone at night. I'm still having these nightmares about my parents almost every night.

Max: It's okay... If you ever need someone you can call me or come to me okay, as friends?

There was a knock on the door.

Checo: Max, FP2 is about to start. You have to get to the motorhome like right now or they might kill you.

Max: Are you gonna be okay?

Yn: Yes, I'm going to take the rest of the day off and head back to my room.

This was a lie, you weren't going to be okay. You missed your parents so much, if only you could give them a call and talk to them.

You wished Max good luck and walked back to McLarens motorhome. You found Daniels PA and told her you were not feeling well and were heading home. She told you she'd be taking care of Lando if necessary. You got your stuff and walked to the parking lot, to only realize you weren't there with your own car. You drove with Max this morning. You started crying again.

Lando's pov:

*Back to the present*

Lando: What happened?

She sobbed: Max- he- we-

He took her face in his hands.

Lando: Did he hurt you? I swear I'm going to ki-

Yn: No, no, we just-

She was still crying. He didn't know what to do, so he just wrapped his arms around her.

Yn: I miss my parents.

Lando: Ssh baby, I know you do...

Yn: If I could only just talk with them one last time, say goodbye.

Lando: I know baby, it's okay...

She cried for a while. After what felt like hours she finally calmed down a bit.

Yn: I wanted to go back to my room, but I can't even go home because my car isn't here and I broke up with Max so he can't drive me. I mean he would if I asked but I just don't want to right now and i just don't kno-

Lando: Stop rambling, you won't be able to breathe if you go on like this.

She laughed.

Lando: That's the smile I was waiting for, come one, I'll drive you.

Yn: You don't have to.

Lando: No, but I want to. So just humor me and let me drive you home.

She looked at him and smiled again.

Lando: What is it?

Yn: I just ruined your, actually my, sweater.

He laughed and so did she.

Lando: Oh that's okay I'll just grab another one no worries.

Yn: Oh no you won't.

She definitely just dared him.

Lando: I'll bet you I will.