Chapter 63

Monday arrived, which meant you had to get back to work and face Lando. Walking towards the McLaren hospitality for a meeting with Daniel's PA you realise you had yet to see Lando and you didn't mind you hadn't yet.

After the meeting you head outside for some fresh air. Just as you're about to head back inside you notice Lando arriving as well. That's when you notice Lando isn't arriving alone. Your heart drops. Did he seriously arrive with Lily?

Lando: Long time no see.

You raise an eyebrow at him.

Yn: It's been a week.

Lily: Yeah whatever, let's head inside.

You roll your eyes at her and walk past her and Lando. You couldn't deal with this right now. You felt like you couldn't breathe, you had to get out of here.

Lando: Where are you going?

Yn: Not anywhere you're going.

You walk away and head towards the Ferrari hospitality, not looking back. You needed a friendly face to calm you down.

When you walk in, Charles notices you immediately.

Charles: What's up, are you okay?

He eyes you worriedly. You didn't know what to say so you stayed silent.

Charles: Follow me.

So you follow him. After some stairs he opened a door and you gulped in the fresh air. He took you to the roof of the hospitality, which fortunately was deserted. As you lean against the railing you feel an arm wrap around your shoulder. Charles was trying to comfort you without using his words. You smile to yourself.

Yn: Nice roof, love what you got going on with the red theme.

Charles: I'm not a huge fan of your orange theme so I'm trying to convert you to red.

You laugh at him.

Yn: Good luck with that.

You think he might have noticed the best way to help you was to not talk about what affected you, so you guess that's why he didn't.

Charles: Are you able to watch the race from my garage this sunday?

Before this morning you wouldn't have. Even though you and Lando had broken up you had felt like there might be some hope for you two. After his arrival with Lily, he'd killed that hope.

Yn: You know what, maybe I can.

Charles' face lit up.

Charles: Wait, really?

Yn: Yes fine, but I can't stick around long after the race as I have to make sure Lando gets to his interviews.

Charles: That's okay, you do have to wear something red though.

Yn: I'll check my wardrobe, but you're hereby warned that I'm not sure I've got any clothing in red.

Charles: I'm sure the colour will look great on you.

You and Charles talk for about twenty more minutes after which you decide to head back to the McLaren hospitality to face Lando. After another long meeting you stay seated to gather your stuff. Lando also doesn't leave.

Lando: How's Charles?

His voice sounded cold and his tone sarcastic.

Yn: Charles is great, very kind, very caring.

You get up and head towards the exit. Unfortunately, Lando was resting against that exit. You try to walk past him but he stops you. He walks backwards which makes you walk backwards too, until you feel the wall against your back and can't go any further. He looked you up and down, so close you're able to hear him breathe. You wanted to say something but your voice stuck in your throat.

Lando: Do you tell Charles to 'please don't stop'?

He imitated your voice, referring to that night.

Yn: What I tell Charles is none of your business.

Lando: It's my business because you were fooling around with him while being with me.

Yn: See and that's where you're wrong. Me and Charles, we're just friends. Nothing happened while you and I were together, nothing happened after you and I broke up. It's your fault you believed the press over me, not mine.

Lando: Yeah right.

You start crying. How could he still not believe you? You didn't deserve this.

Yn: You know what, maybe you're right. Maybe I should date Charles. He's been a very good and kind friend while you keep hurting me. I'm done with this, go and live your life with Lily. I don't ever want to be in the same room as you again.

Lando: Well you're my PA so I don't think you can prevent us being in the same room.

He was right, you wouldn't be able to exclude him from your life. You worked with him on a daily basis. You wipe away your tears and take the decision right then and there.

Yn: Tell Zak I quit.

Lando's eyes widened in disbelief. You even thought you saw sadness, but then you realise he isn't able to feel sad or bad about anything. You take your work phone out of your pocket and put it on the table.

You get a flashback about that one amazing night with Lando.

"I hate you so much that I love you"

Then, you said it back. Now, you wouldn't. Another tear rolls down your cheek.

Yn: I hate you. And this time it doesn't mean that I love you, It just means that I hate you.

You turn around, leave the hospitality and head towards the exit. Lando got you to quit the job you've worked for your entire life, but you could only feel relief. You were relieved that you no longer had to look at him and Lily every day. This toxic cycle was draining you and you just couldn't do it any longer.

What he didn't know was that you lied to him, partially. You did hate him, it's just that you still loved him too.