Chapter 79: flashforwards

*One year later, June 2024*

Yn: Happy anniversary babe.

Charles: You too, do you like it?

Yn: I'm still not sure why you ever thought you could cook.

Charles: Ouch, I've worked on this for hours Bells.

Yn: I'm just joking, it tastes amazing.

You look outside. The sky coloured orange, just like the night you and Charles had first kissed.

You and Charles had decided to move in today, which was why you were at his place with still boxes everywhere. You could've hired a moving company, but you weren't comfortable with people going through your personal stuff.

Charles: I have to leave in an hour or so, I wish they would've planned Alonso's retirement dinner another time but I have to go.

Yn: It's fine, I'll see you later tonight.

Later that night you pass your time discovering all the cabinets and drawers. Where to find his ties, the tea strainers, the pens, all those kinds of things. You're just going through his sock drawer, laughing at all his weird kind of socks, when you accidentally find two paper letters. You wanted to put them back and ask him about it later, when you see your name written through the paper.

You open the first one and see it's addressed to you, even though you've never seen it. You read both of them, after which you crumble to the floor crying.

How could he? Charles had lied to you for more than a year now. How could he keep this from you, and why? Maybe, if you'd read this back then, your life would've been different now.

You grab your teddy bear from the bed and push the belly, so it plays the voices of your mom and dad. Tears keep streaming down your face as sadness consumes you. Charles had told you back then he didn't know who it was from, he lied. He fucking lied. It was a birthday gift from Lando. The most thoughtful gift you could ever receive.

After a while your sadness gives way to anger. Why did Charles think he could do this? You grab your bag and stuff it full of all your important things, including the teddy bear and the two letters. You grab a piece of paper and write a short message to Charles.

"I know."

You close the door behind you, get on your bike and head home. You didn't have your car as it was currency at the garage. So you cycle, just like you used to back home. You don't know what to do so you open your phone and call Max.

Damn why was it taking him so long to pick up?

Max: Hey, I'm with Fernando.

When he hears you crying, you hear him walk away from the noise.

Max: What is it?

Yn: He- he-

Max: Calm down, what's wrong?

Yn: He- he lied to me, he kept those letters- and never- never told me.

Max: What letters Bells?

Yn: Don't- call me that.

Max: Why? I don't understand any of it.

Yn: Lando, he wrote me letters- apologising- and Charles- he hid them from me.

Max: He did what?

Yn: That teddy bear- with- with- my parents' voices? It was from Lando- and Charles- he knew all along.

You were crying even harder if that was even possible.

Max: Where are you right now?

Yn: I- I don't know. I- I think- I'm having a panic attack.

Tears were streaming down your face as breathing became harder. You didn't recognise the part of Monaco you were currently in, you felt lost.

Max: Just send me your location. I'll come get you.

Yn: I- yes, okay.

You hang up the phone, but before you can send Max your current location your screen turns black. Shit, your phone was dead, late at night without knowing where you were. You look around to see if you can recognise where you are. You were cycling on a cycle path by the sea, which was good, at least you knew you were by the sea. But, that was all you knew. You feel the panic attack coming and even though you're trying to ignore it, you just can't.

You get off your bike and sit down in the sand next to your bike as breathing becomes almost impossible. You knew you had to calm down but you didn't know how. Soon, the world turns black as you pass out.