82|Old Butterflies

Ryleigh's POV:

"Why you ask that?" I ask T' while turning the plantains, careful not to take my eyes from the pot.

*Cause as you look weh dat bun up*

" 'Cause why would I have to bring breakfast for just him? normally a fi both or none" she explains.

"Maybe him just did want him madda cooking this morning?" I say, not even convincing the paint on the walls.

Toni releases a long hiss.

"Aside from the fact that we've drifted apart.... wah else coulda give you a reason fi think mi ago believe that?"

I shrug, now taking the plantains from the oil, to drop them on a plate lined with napkins.

"He's never in the guest houses.. not this one..not ours...none....so why hi-"

"Toni rest it nuh.... do I really have to spell it out?" I roll my eyes before slapping the freshly fried plantain in my loaded egg sandwich.

T' moves around the island, picks up the fork and starts eating the slices of plantain left on the flat plate.

"Weh you do?" she asks, still trying to drag the information from me.

*Why a me affi do supm?*

Right?

I look at her while taking another bite into my sandwich. She raises a single brow at me in anticipation.

"Just know we no good" is all I offer.

"To the point where him nah stay ina the house?" she whisper shouts.

*Unuh know dah girl yah ago send up mi pressure though*

"Yes T'" I nod "To the point weh him ina the guest house"

Her eyes find mine, as her mouth circles, going to work on the plantain dem weh me neva plan fi share.

"Ok but unuh did a talk yesterday..."

I laugh out "You know me nuh know how your woman and man manage you, nuttin no miss you?"

*Or her brother..... like dem trained fi sieve out the BS*

"Yeah we did a text...about JJ...that's it" I counter, pressing my lips together, trying to avoid a smile.

She rolls her eyes....

"You definitely think yah talk to the rest a yuh friends....this is not that..." she points between us.

I bring the glass of orange juice to my mouth, watching her watch me.

*She nahgo let up enuh*

"I did supm he won't forgive me for.... try explain myself months ago, him neva wah hear...until-"

"Months????" she squirms. "Him vex with yuh fi months...and nuh come stress mi fi talk to you?....yeah you f*cked up huh" she laughs.

Not a thing nuh funny enuh....

"Gweh nuh gyal" I giggle "....until last night, he had me explain and then woke up and just gone back ina him shell"

Her face forms a look of confusion.

"Duh sound like him..." she breathes.

I shrug....bringing the last piece of sandwich to my mouth...

"Thank youuuu" T' says, grabbing it from my hand. I try to grab it back but she swats my hand away.