Chapter 45

Max: You really need to put that book down and hurry up a bit, I have to go to the track.

Yn: Yes, yes, I'm ready.

You and Max get in the car, it's Thursday so that means interviews and a lot of preparing.

Max: What will you be doing today?

Yn: Probably taking pictures for McLaren, keeping up the socials and stuff.

Max: So basically taking pictures of Daniel and Lando the whole day?

You laugh: Basically, yeah.

You and Max walk into the paddock together.

Max: I'll see you later, I love you.

You give him a kiss.

Yn: See you later.

When you walk into the McLaren motorhome you see Lando giving Lily a kiss. All the air gets sucked out of your lungs, you feel a stabbing pain in your stomach.

Lily leaves and he notices you.

Lando: Hey.

He runs his hand through his hair. You don't know if you should say something, so you just look at him.

Lando: You're not wearing it, does that mean-

Yn: No, it was just impractical to work with.

The hope in his eyes fades. Good, hopefully he feels the same stabbing pain.

Lando: You look better without it, though.

Your cheeks are blushing. You don't know what to say so you just take out your camera and walk away from him.

The rest of the day you take pictures of Daniel and Lando.

You and Daniel really hit it off, but you haven't said a word to Lando.

You didn't have to, because your eyes were having conversations on their own.

The day is almost over which means the paddock is almost empty. The low-hanging sun coloured the sky orange.

You decide to walk the empty track and take some pictures of it in this beautiful light.

You're taking pictures when you hear a voice.

Lando: Are you taking pictures of an empty track?

Lando's pov:

He felt like he was going to be sick. Why did he kiss Lily, even after he knew what happened? He did know though. He hoped to hurt her like he hurted last night.

He sees the hurt in her eyes, and regrets his choice immediately. Lily walks away, thank god.

Lando: Hey.

God she looked beautiful. Why wasn't she saying anything? He looked at her left hand, she wasn't wearing the ring. He feels hope, hope that they could be together after all. Hope that last night would be the last night without her.

Lando: You're not wearing it, does that mean-

Yn: No, it was just impractical to work with.

Pain in his stomach, the hope he had fades. Did he do this? Would she have said something else if he didn't kiss Lily in front of her, or hell even get together with Lily in the first place. He would never know, because it wasn't their reality. Their reality was that he was with Lily, and she was engaged to Max.

Lando: You look better without it, though.

He didn't know where he got the courage to say that, but her reaction made up for it.

Her cheeks are getting red. The bold compliment, if it even was one, made her blush. Just as he wants to grab her hand she reaches for her bag, taking out her camera and walking away.

The rest of the day he didn't have the courage to say anything to her. Not that it felt necessary, her eyes were speaking for her and he was sure his were as well.

But then suddenly, she's gone. He starts to panic, wanting to spend more time with her. He walks through the paddock when he sees her walking on the track. He decides to walk after her.

Lando: Are you taking pictures of an empty track?

Yn: It's beautiful isn't it?

Lando: But it's empty?

Yn: But beautiful.

He was confused, how could it be beautiful if it was empty?

Lando: But, empty.

Yn: That doesn't mean it's not beautiful, come, look.

She patted the ground next to her, inviting him to sit next to her. He sat down and she gave him her camera.

He scrolled through the pictures, she was right, it was beautiful.

Lando: These are really good.

Yn: I told you, beautiful.

She is way more beautiful.

Lando: You know what would make it more beautiful?

Yn: Well?

He grabs the camera and takes a picture of her. She's smiling, finally.

He shows her the picture.

Lando: This, this is beautiful.

He sees her blushing, god knew he wanted to kiss her. She looks at her shoes.

Lando: May I ask you something?

Yn: What is it?

Lando: What's your favorite kind of ice cream?

He can see she's surprised by this question, but he just had to know.

Yn: Ben & Jerry's.

He smiles, of course that's her favorite.

Yn: What's Lily's favorite kind?

His smile fades.

Lando: Don't know, don't care.

She looks up at him, surprised.

Lando: Do you love Max?

At first she stays silent, but then she replies.

Yn: I do.

All the air gets sucked from his lungs, she loves someone else, his girl loves someone else.