Miracles

"Tommy?" Maddy asked bewildered as she saw her outside of the in-hospital morgue; she was coming back from getting breakfast in the cafeteria

"Tommy?" Maddy asked bewildered as she saw her outside of the in-hospital morgue; she was coming back from getting breakfast in the cafeteria. "What's wrong?!" She continued talking, staring at Tommy's face, trying to gauge the situation.

"Maddy... uhm.. you're here."

"Yes Tommy.. I work here." She chuckled. "What's going on? Ehh, why are you standing outside the morgue...?"

"Oh just checking in on a friend, Doctor Jeffries.. visiting a family member, who's upstairs.."

"Oh.. uhm, okay. Well if you're bored... feel free to come say 'hi' over in ER.."

"Yeah.. thanks Maddy, I uh.. I will." Maddy rubbed her arm cautiously before heading towards her job in the emergency room.

'Hey babes..' Maddy said as she called TK on the way back to her desk. 'Have you talked to your dad at all this morning?'

'No, why?'

'Well, uh.. I just saw Tommy. She was at the morgue here... said she was just visiting Doctor Jeffries, the Medical Examiner, but I feel like that's... odd, and like.. Jeffries was inside the exam room, it was just... something was off with her. So I'm just wondering if you talked to your dad, figured she might've told him something?'

'Oh.. that is weird! I wonder what she's doing there? I haven't talked to dad, but if he calls, I'll ask him about it. See if he's talked to her!'

'Thanks Teek. Love you.'

'Love you too! And let me know if you find anything else out, okay?'

'For sure.'

When Maddy got back to her desk, she did some digging— looking into the hospital admissions records— looking for any possible reason as to why Tommy would be in the hospital today. Her kids weren't in the ER, and it didn't look like she or her husband were admitted anywhere else. 'Curious,' Maddy said to herself as she tapped her freshly manicured nails on her desk at the nurses station.

"Maddy? What's going on?" Jen said, noticing her friend looking perplexed. "You good?"

"Hey Jen, yeah... I just saw Captain Vega.. the paramedic captain at the 126.."

"Right, right. Is she okay?"

"I don't know actually.. it was weird. She was just waiting outside the morgue.. said she was visiting Doctor Jeffries? And going to visit a family member? But like.. who just visits the medical... examiner.. and watches.... HOLY SHIT! Oh, oh my god.. no, it can't be... she would've told me.." Maddy continued to think out loud.

"Maddy.. what are you talking about?"

"Oh right, sorry! Uhm.. Captain Vega's husband.. I think something happened to him."