It Has To Be Better

"Well this year is better already," Tim moaned as he rolled over to kiss Maddy's back

"Mmm.. why is that?" Maddy mumbled. She flipped over to face her lover, who was staring at her. "You're so weird." She let out a slight chuckle.

"It's better because, this time last year.. I didn't have you.." Tim smiled.

"Wow.. that's why I love you." Maddy started to tear up at just how much she loved this man laying next to her.

She told him about three months into their relationship that she's bi, and it went better than she could've imagined. Her love for Tim only grew after that, and continues to grow to this day.
*******************************************
"Babe.. come sit down when you can please." Maddy swallowed as she rubbed her thighs.

"Sure babe! He yelled from her bedroom. He walked out less than two minutes later, wearing a white T-shirt and grey sweatpants, causing Maddy's pupils to instantly dilate. "What's up?" Tim quipped as he made himself comfortable next to her.

"We've been dating for a few months. And I gotta tell you something.." Maddy started. She moved her eyes from the floor, to Tim's face. "I'm bi.." she heard herself blurt out. She turned bright red and started to chuckle.

"Is that what you wanted to tell me?" Tim asked, hiding his cheeky smile.

"Yes. I'm bi. But I do prefer/favor men.."

"Babe.. that's literally the last thing that matters to me. I'm happy you're true to yourself!"

"Really?"

"Yep. I will admit though, bisexuality used to be a foreign concept for me until, just last year actually.. I had a young patient I bonded with, and he was bi too. He helped me understand the identification itself, how the preferences or favoring works.. all that." Tim smiled. Maddy was beaming as she pulled him into a kiss.
*******************************************
"Have a good shift babe!" Tim said as he dropped Maddy off at the hospital.

"Thanks babe.." Maddy forced out a smile. "Be safe! I love you."

"I love you too.." Tim blew her a kiss. Maddy looked back as his drove a way with a beep. He was the cutest.

He was right, this year was better than last year already. She had him, her health.. and their parents and friends' health, and the number of deaths she was seeing at her hospital was slowly going down. She also hoped that this would be the year that Tim would propose to her. She knew what she wanted, and it was Tim, forever.
———————————————————————
'CODE BLUE. CODE BLUE'

"Fuck.." Maddy sighed as she grabbed her clipboard, and followed some nurses and nursing students to a room of a COVID patient who was coding— his lungs weren't bringing in enough oxygen, and as a result, his brain was dying. And since Maddy was the nurse in charge, it was her job to call his daughter and tell her that her dad wash dying, per the doctor's orders.

After those horrendous few hours, Maddy called Tim, hysterical. 'TIM!'

He answered in a panic, 'what's happening?!'

'I... can't.. I can't do it anymore..' she sobbed. 'It's.. just.. too much.. I had to tell another child their parent was dying and no doctor could do a damn thing for them.. she FaceTimed her dying father.. who could barely speak..'

There was a silence.

'Babe?' She sniffed. Tim was crying on the other side. 'Are you okay??' She asked him.

'I'm fine babe.. I just wish you were. You need a therapist.' Tim remarked.

'Don't I know it,' Maddy chuckled lightly. 'I'll look into it. Thanks babe. I DO NOT know what I do without you. This is still better than last year... THATS the crazy part too..'

'I know babe... hopefully we get a vaccine this year or something!' Tim said.

'Ugh.. I hope so! But I can't wait to see you tonight. I miss you.'

'I miss you too baby, and I love you. I'll pick you up at 5:30?' Tim asked.

'Yes! I love you too!' Maddy replied with a hint of a smile on her face.