Moving On Up

Maddy was a week removed from her first date with Paul

Maddy was a week removed from her first date with Paul. It was perfect.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She finally moved into her apartment, which was about a 10 minute walk to the station, and a 15 minute drive to work. The two bedroom apartment quickly became decorated with her personal touches— pictures of the NYC skyline, posters of her favorite bands and movies, collectibles from her favorite tv shows and saga's, a plethora of plants, pictures of her with her family, and with Owen and TK.

The walls were a super light tan, and she elected for blue furniture. She was also allowed up to two pets, so she adopted a cat and named her Tex— a senior cat, with the prettiest grey coloring. Texas was really feeling like home (away from home).

She bought herself a car too— cute little white Subaru WRX. She was living her best life, but missing her mom terribly. They FaceTime twice a week, but it was starting to become not enough— she spent her whole life (except her college years) living with, or close to her mother, and now she was halfway across the county. It was taking a toll; she needed to reach out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Hi mom! What're you doing?'

'Oh sweetie! Hi! I'm just making lunch! What do I owe the pleasure?' Her adorable grey-haired mother said on the other side of her iPhone.

'That's good! I'm just checking in.. I miss you. Also, wanna update you on how my date went,' Maddy smiled into the phone.

'Oh yes! How was it??'

'Honestly.. it was pretty perfect! He's such a gentleman! But I did have to tell off these racist assholes at a table next to us..'

"What do you mean sweetheart?" Her mom's toned changed instantly.

'This couple... said some really nasty things to me about being out with Paul." Maddy sighed. "It's just bullshit. I know people fucking suck, but y'all are STILL that overtly racist in 20 fucking 20?? Can't stand it. Sorry mom..'

She didn't tell her mom the color of Paul's skin, obviously, but now her mom knew and she's pissed too.

'Jesus.. people suck. I'm sorry honey. Is Paul okay??'

'Yeah.. he said it's just used to it. 'Being black in Texas and America'.. same bullshit as always. It's just still so fucked.' Maddy paused to take a breath. 'Anyway, what're you doing today mom?'

'Same old. Going to eat my lunch, then cleaning and laundry. How are you spending your Saturday?'

'I'll be going to the firehouse today.. the guys are all on shift today, so I'll be hanging out with them for a bit! But it might be cut short, we're dealing with a friggin Mercury poisoning outbreak here. Can you believe that shit?! How random?!'

'Oh dear, be safe! Sounds good though. Well I gotta get this load out of the dryer, I'll talk to you later. I love you sweet girl!' Her mom's calm voice beamed through the phone.

"Love you too momma!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Yo! Uglies!" Maddy screamed into the firehouse as she approached the open garage door.

"Whoooooa!" Paul said as he approached her to hug and kiss her. "That wasn't nice."

"Not you Paul," Maddy winked at him.

"Guys! Maddy's here!"

As Maddy looked around the station for TK, he appeared beside her and wrapped her up in a hug. "Hi boo!"

"Hi Ty! Lots of calls today? I didn't hear many sirens, but that doesn't mean a lot.. I took a great nap, and a long shower.. So it's possible I didn't hear shit." Maddy shrugged.

"I'm not gonna say anything.. don't wanna jinx it." TK winked.

"How are y'all dealing with this Mercury poisoning bullshit? It's totally fucking us up at the hospital— surprised I haven't been called in for OT yet.." she winched, she knew she jinxed herself. Paul, who was still next to her, kissed her cheek. "Dinner this week?"

"Sure," Maddy smiled.

TK pulled Maddy with him as he entered the firehouse. As soon as he sat down next to her on one of their large couches, a call came through the station.

"Ohhh.. tough luck!" Maddy mocked her best friend.

*Uptown Funk plays from Maddy's phone*
"Fuck.. I jinxed myself too!" She laughed before she answered the phone. It was her hospital.
"Yes.. okay. Give me like 25, and I'll be there. Cool thanks!"

As the station siren was blasting, Maddy had to yell on her call, so she hung up and laughed at herself, but as soon as she turned around to exit for her apartment, Paul ran up to her and planted a loving kiss on her lips before sprinting to jump on the rig. Maddy turned bright red as she waved stupidly at the passing truck. She all but skipped out of garage, and headed home to get changed into her scrubs and head to the hospital.