The Family We Choose

One Monday evening, Maddy was at work and about to clock out, when two more gurneys rolled into the emergency department; one headed for the ICU

One Monday evening, Maddy was at work and about to clock out, when two more gurneys rolled into the emergency department; one headed for the ICU. She stopped her walk to the break room, and turned back to look at the gurneys.

"Oh my god! What the hell happened?!" Maddy exclaimed to the two random EMTs. They ignored her. "Please!... I know them..." she said when she got closer.

It was Judd and Grace.

"Their car went off a bridge in that rain storm the other night..." the male EMT finally answered.

"Oh my god. Holy shit!"

"Female needs an ICU, and yours is free... Right?"

"Yes.."

"The male needs to be in the ER for a while longer... University Hospital kicked us over here. Since y'all have the room."

Maddy ran to grab Judd's hand. "It's me, Judd. It's Maddy."

"Maddy..."

"Judd.. it's okay. It'll be okay.." Maddy said before she was forced to back away from him while that paramedics undid him from the backboard. "Hello.. hi, yeah.. I'm a nurse, I got it!" She commanded as she walked over and started adjusting Judd's IV lines, and monitors— he hates needles.

Several minutes passed and Maddy carefully monitored Judd's vitals, before she focused on grabbing her phone to call Owen, and everyone else from the 126.

"Daddy O! I gotta talk to you !"
"Maddy... hey kiddo! Oh.. what's wrong?!"
"Uh.. you and the guys gotta get to my hospital as soon as you can... please. Judd and Grace... uhm, were in an accident. We already called their parents, but I wanted to tell you... Shit.. can you tell Tommy for me?!"

"Oh my god... are they okay?!"
"Judd is still out of it, but okay... just bruised and sore. Grace.... she didn't look to good, but she was breathing and pain reactive. All good things! But actual brain activity... remains to be seen.. by me anyway.."

"Oh thank god. But yeah.. I'll get the guys right now. We're off, but I'll call them and Tommy ASAP! Thanks kiddo!"
———————————————————————
"Grace.." Judd mumbled in his sleep. "Wait.. Maddy? Where's Grace?" Judd said confusedly when he noticed Maddy at his bedside. Maddy shot up from the chair she sat in, and shuffled to Judd's bedside to talk to him. "I'm going to her right now! I'll be right back!" Maddy said as she ran out of the room and into the elevator— she passed Tommy and Owen, who were entering Judd's room at the same time. Maddy huffed it up to the ICU and frantically looked for Grace.

She found her.

Maddy walked over to Grace's parents, after she picked up her chart at the end of the bed to read over it. "Hi Mr and Mrs Williams.. my name is Madison, I'm a Supervising Nurse here. And I'm friends with your son-in-law, and your daughter."
"You go by Maddy, right?" Mrs. Williams smiled. Maddy cocked her head ever so slightly, and smiled. "Yes ma'am.."