I'm Sorry It Took So Long

"It's great you survived Owen

"It's great you survived Owen.... really, even though ya know.. I didn't. I'm fine with it.. really. But can ya do me a favor? Tell Maddy I love her and I'm proud of her."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"TIM!" Maddy shot up in bed, breathing heavily. She looked over to see TK staring at her. "Sorry TK.. did I... uh, did I wake you?"

"Nah.. I've been awake.. well I didn't fall asleep, it's still kinda early. But you were crying in your sleep a little... I was just rubbing your back."

"I wondered what I felt, thanks. But fuck.. that hasn't happened in months.."

"Tim dream?"

"Yeah.. more like a nightmare. He was.. uh dead, but he was talking to your dad, I think... but it was like I was watching it? I don't know. Anyway, uh.. he was saying that he's happy Owen lived... even though it didn't seem that way, and that he loves me and is proud of me. And he was like a zombie.." She sat up further, and TK rubbed her back. "Jesus Mads.. that's awful."

Maddy sighed, "yeah." She pulled him into a deep hug. "I think I need to call his parents." She said. TK cocked his head slightly at her, "don't you always call them?" Maddy shook her head 'no'. "Nah.. I uh.. we text all the time, and they'll email or write to me, but hearing their voices... I haven't spoken to them since.. uh I think February." Maddy cleared her throat. TK put his head down and sighed, "well then yeah.. I think you should call them. I'm sure they're gonna be happy you're reaching out."

"I hope so.. you're right, it's only 11:00, still kinda early.. so they should still be awake. Do you mind if I call them quick?" Maddy asked TK, who grabbed her hands in his. "Not at all Mads." TK replied. He pulled her hands to his mouth and kissed them gently. Maddy went to get up to go into her living room. "Sit here babes.. I'll be quiet."

Maddy reached over to her nightstand and unplugged her phone, and got ready to call Mr. and Mrs. Rosewater. "Oh god.. it's ringing.." Maddy said to TK as her phone continued to ring. TK rubbed her back supportively.

'Hello?'

'Oh.. you're awake, good... hi Mr. Rosewater.. it's uh, Maddy.' She didn't feel comfortable calling them by their first names anymore.

'Oh Maddy! Hi kiddo! How are you? It's been a long time..'

'Yes it has... and I am so sorry it took so long.. for me to reach out, but uh.. you just sound so much like Tim.. it was just so hard.' Maddy sniffed.

Mr. Rosewater sighed, "I'know Maddy. The misses and I wanted to give you as much space as you needed. Your mom told us that you grieve very differently than other people, so we were letting you come to us. And I'm glad you did.'