Jun You Ji Fou

By kipziart

"Shiyu, my heart does not lie." With these words of deep passion, Chu Mingyun inserts his hand back into his... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90 EXTRA
Chapter 91 EXTRA FINAL

Chapter 41

756 11 13
By kipziart

In the waning days of late spring, the fragrant beauty of Chang'an had largely withered away, yet the peach blossoms of Qi Mountain clung to their spring vibrancy, their scarlet petals blooming resplendently like the rosy clouds of dawn.

After a day spent jostling in carriages, everyone arrived at the hunting lodge exhausted, dispersing towards their lodgings with scarcely a glance at the surrounding misty mountains, saving the pleasure for the next day's feast.

Su Shiyu, with courteous gratitude, bid farewell to his colleagues and was about to leave when, on impulse, he glanced sideways and caught the gaze of Chu Mingyun.

Standing alone not far away, leaning casually against a peach tree with his arms crossed, Chu Mingyun's expression was inscrutable, as if lost in thought.

Hesitating for a moment, Su Shiyu approached him with a light smile, asking, "After such a tiring journey, why isn't Chu Daren resting? What's on your mind here?"

Chu Mingyun's eyes, tranquil, watched him approach and then, with a slight smile, said, "I was thinking of you."

Taken aback, Su Shiyu managed a nonchalant smile and replied, "With the Hunnic envoys present, Chu Daren will surely have much to attend to tomorrow. It might be best to rest early."

"I've no desire to rest," Chu Mingyun said, straightening up, his hands falling to his sides. "There's something I haven't figured out yet, and it's keeping me restless."

"What matter could be so pressing?" inquired Su Shiyu.

"Very pressing," Chu Mingyun replied, his voice calm, his gaze intent. "Would Su Daren care to know?"

"I would hear it in detail."

"And if I chose not to tell?" Chu Mingyun's eyes twinkled with amusement as he studied Su Shiyu's reaction before suggesting, "Perhaps if Su Daren accompanied me for a walk, my mood might improve enough to talk, and perhaps then I might feel like resting."

With a resigned chuckle, Su Shiyu agreed, "Very well."

Lu Qinghe, alighting from the carriage, dramatically clutched at her chest, lamenting, "I said I should have ridden on horseback! This journey was nearly the death of me!"

Her maid, smiling, came to assist her, saying, "Traveling by carriage is more leisurely than horseback. You'll get used to it, Miss."

"I have no wish to get used to it," Lu Qinghe declared. "Where's my father?"

"Your father just went to greet an old friend. He'll be back shortly. He specifically instructed us to wait here so that Miss could... take a good look around."

"Take a good look..." Lu Qinghe's voice trailed off in disdain as she surveyed the scene, "What's there to see after such a bumpy ride? All the handsome young men must be worn out by now..."

Her complaint was suddenly cut short.

In the distance, beneath a peach tree, stood a figure, elegant and poised, a smile playing on his lips as he spoke with someone, his eyes brimming with mirth.

Lu Qinghe, her red skirt billowing slightly in the breeze, was like a spring wind awakening, her presence adding to the beauty of the blossoming peach trees.

Leaning on her maid, she couldn't help but exclaim, "He's quite a sight..."

"What's quite a sight?" Lu Shi approached from behind.

"Father," Lu Qinghe turned, "I've made my choice!"

"So quick?" asked Lu Shi. "Who might it be?"

"There!" Lu Qinghe pointed, "I choose him!"

Following her gaze, Lu Shi immediately noticed Su Shiyu, a touch of pride in his voice, "The one in white? My daughter indeed has a discerning eye..."

"Not him!" Lu Qinghe hastily interjected, pointing instead to the figure in dark blue beside Su Shiyu.

Lu Shi's expression darkened instantly.

"No way!"

"Father—" Lu Qinghe followed him, pacing back and forth in the hall.

"No means no, and that's final!" Lu Shi was adamant.

"Why not?" Lu Qinghe protested, "You said I could choose!"

"You..." Lu Shi, frustrated, stopped in his tracks and turned to face her, "Why do you insist on Chu Taiwei, overlooking all those young talents? What do you see in him?"

Lu Qinghe shrank back, admitting shyly, "He's beautiful."

"Is beauty all that's deceived you?" Lu Shi was incensed. "Is not Su Daren also handsome?"

"Father..." Lu Qinghe was taken aback.

Realizing his slip, Lu Shi glanced around, and finding no one else in sight, continued, "Tell me, what are you thinking?"

Lu Qinghe, weighing her words carefully, replied earnestly, "Su Daren is indeed handsome, but he and Chu Taiwei are different. Su Daren's beauty is the kind that you can only admire from a distance..."

"You'd even consider touching Chu Taiwei?" Lu Shi's temper flared anew. "I've indulged your whims since you were little, but how can you be so unreserved now?!"

Lu Qinghe, on the verge of tears, fell silent, bowing her head to endure his tirade.

Lu Shi's anger subsided somewhat after venting, and seeing Lu Qinghe's submissive demeanor, he softened his tone, conceding, "If you have no interest in Su Daren, then let it be. I'll help you look elsewhere. Take your time to choose." He paused, then added firmly, "But forget about Chu Taiwei. Setting aside what kind of person he is, everyone at court knows he's shamelessly pursuing Su Daren. Don't get involved in such nonsense!"

Lu Qinghe bit her lip, inwardly marveling at her father's ability to concoct such tales.

Yet, Lu Qinghe, having roamed the jianghu and not being an ordinary sheltered lady, wasn't easily deterred. With no hope of an arranged match, she considered taking matters into her own hands.

As night enveloped the land, Lu Qinghe, seated at her desk, eagerly inquired of her returning maid, "Well?"

"The...," the maid hesitated, "Miss, are you sure about him?"

"Of course, why else would I send you?" Lu Qinghe interrupted, "What happened?"

"I couldn't find Chu Daren; he wasn't in his quarters," the maid reported.

Curious, Lu Qinghe mused, "Where could he be at this hour?"

After a pause, the maid answered, "The guards saw him with a jug of wine, heading alone to the mountain pavilion."

"Drinking alone under the moon, how romantic," Lu Qinghe admired, then realized, "With everyone else resting, the pavilion will be deserted tonight. What an opportunity!"

The maid, alarmed, asked, "Miss, you're not planning to go there, are you?"

"Of course," Lu Qinghe stood, straightening her attire, "A perfect setting for a romantic confession."

"But Miss, it's cold at the pavilion at night," the maid worried.

"No need," Lu Qinghe reassured her, "Appearing vulnerable might just garner more affection. Let it be cold."

As they were discussing, Lu Shi's voice suddenly asked, "What are you doing at the pavilion?"

Lu Qinghe stiffened, turning with a strained smile, "Father..."

"What's this about the pavilion?" Lu Shi pressed the maid.

Before the maid could answer, Lu Qinghe blurted, "To meet Su Daren!"

"Su Daren?" Lu Shi was puzzled.

With a shy nod, Lu Qinghe averted her gaze, silently signaling the maid, "Yes, Su Daren."

"Why him?" Lu Shi was skeptical.

Taking a deep breath, Lu Qinghe explained, "You always spoke highly of Su Daren. After some thought, I felt perhaps I wasn't entirely indifferent... I sent a message to meet him, to see if he's as commendable as you say."

"Su Daren is beyond reproach," Lu Shi affirmed.

Encouraged, Lu Qinghe glanced at him, "That's why I wanted to meet him."

Nodding, Lu Shi seemed reassured, "It's good to meet and talk."

Lu Qinghe smiled sweetly, "Did you need something, Father?"

"Nothing in particular," Lu Shi replied, "I was coming to discuss this with you. Since you've decided, I'm relieved."

"Then I'll go," Lu Qinghe sighed in relief, but as Lu Shi turned to leave, he added, "Still, wear a cloak. It will be cold."

Touched, Lu Qinghe nodded.

Once Lu Shi was gone, the maid, who had been holding her breath, cautiously asked, "Miss, are we still going to the pavilion?"

"Of course," Lu Qinghe affirmed, tucking a stray hair behind her ear, "We've come this far; how could we not?" She paused, her voice tinged with uncertainty, "But let's wait a bit longer... to avoid my father."

Meanwhile, Lu Shi, feeling a weight lifted off his shoulders, cheerfully entered Wei Song's estate, calling out, "Wei Daren, I'll need you to stay up late tonight for a few rounds of chess!"

Greeted warmly by Wei Song, they were soon joined by Su Shiyu, who asked with a light smile, "Lu Daren seems in high spirits. Is there cause for celebration?"

Caught off guard, Lu Shi stammered, "...Su Daren?"

Su Shiyu invited them to discuss inside. Lu Shi, however, hesitated, puzzled, "Why are you here?"

Wei Song led Lu Shi to sit, explaining, "Su Daren came to discuss matters concerning the Hunnic envoys and stayed to chat. It's perfect timing for you to join us in a game of chess."

Lu Shi, reluctantly settling down, inquired of Su Shiyu, "Aren't you expected elsewhere tonight?"

Su Shiyu shook his head, "I have no such engagements."

Silence fell as Lu Shi mulled over this, his face betraying a mix of emotions. Su Shiyu, noting his distress, asked, "Is something troubling Lu Daren?"

"It's nothing," Lu Shi recovered, managing a smile before sighing, "To my shame, my daughter has long admired Su Daren. She came to the hunting lodge with me and, unbeknownst to me, sent a maid to invite you to the pavilion. She was preparing to meet you when I discovered her plans."

Su Shiyu frowned slightly, "But I received no invitation..."

"That's just it," Lu Shi hurried to explain, "Since you've been here with Wei Daren, the message must have gone astray."

The implication was clear. Su Shiyu sighed, "I'm flattered by your daughter's regard, but I have no intentions of marrying. I wouldn't want to lead her on."

Lu Shi expressed his helplessness, "It's my daughter's infatuation. I can do little about it. She's probably waiting at the pavilion by now, and won't easily return without meeting you. The night is cold on the mountain; even if you have no intentions, a meeting might put her mind at ease."

After a moment's thought, Su Shiyu agreed to go, understanding Lu Shi's concern for his daughter. "Then I'll take my leave now."

"Please do," Lu Shi urged, seeing him off.

Once Su Shiyu was gone, Wei Song, returning with the chess set, asked in surprise, "Why did Su Daren leave?"

Back in the hall, Lu Shi, with a pat on Wei Song's shoulder, remarked cryptically, "You're lucky to have a son, and married early."

Wei Song, puzzled, asked for clarification.

Lu Shi sighed deeply, "My worries never end."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

287K 4.6K 38
"๐‘†๐‘Ž๐‘ฆ ๐‘ฆ๐‘œ๐‘ข'๐‘™๐‘™ ๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘š๐‘’๐‘š๐‘๐‘’๐‘Ÿ ๐‘š๐‘’ ๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘Ž๐‘›๐‘‘๐‘–๐‘›๐‘” ๐‘–๐‘› ๐‘Ž ๐‘›๐‘–๐‘๐‘’ ๐‘‘๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘ ๐‘  ๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘Ž๐‘Ÿ๐‘–๐‘›๐‘” ๐‘Ž๐‘ก ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘ ๐‘ข๐‘›๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘ก ๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘๐‘’๏ผŒ ๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘‘ ๐‘™๐‘–๐‘...
514K 28K 18
๐’๐ก๐ข๐ฏ๐š๐ง๐ฒ๐š ๐‘๐š๐ฃ๐ฉ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ฑ ๐‘๐ฎ๐๐ซ๐š๐ค๐ฌ๐ก ๐‘๐š๐ฃ๐ฉ๐ฎ๐ญ ~By ๐Š๐š๐ฃ๐ฎ๊จ„๏ธŽ...