Shielding The Innocent - Nikl...

By ForeverKeke07

Kelsey Claire is forced to return to the place she was born, because her sister is missing. Her only friend... More

Author's Note
Season 1 Cast
Chapter 1: Mystic Falls
Chapter 2: New Orleans
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Season 2 Cast
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Season 3 Cast
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Season 4 Cast
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Season 5 Cast
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12

Chapter 11

203 4 0
By ForeverKeke07

"Did you find anything?" I ask Davina. She called me to the bell tower, where her and Freya have spent the last week looking for any way to help the twins.

"We're out of options." She sighs defeated.

"No." I shake my head in denial. "There has to be something."

"Kelsey, I love you and I love my nieces." She tells me. "So, I'm going to be blunt. There isn't a miracle fix here. I really wish there was. They might have had a little more time, but they are both about to experience their first full moon since triggering they're curse. We've talked to a dozen witches and they're sure they won't survive the night."

"What about a binding spell?" I urge.

"It's too powerful." Davina shakes her head. "It'd only kill them faster. I'm afraid this is terminal. You can't keep this from them any longer. So they can say goodbye."

I turn my back to her as tear escape my eyes. Davina steps to me and puts her hand on my shoulder, which makes me let on a shakey breath. I turn back to her and wrap my arms around her as sobs take over. My sister tightens her arms around my back and lets me cry, not saying anything. She knows there's nothing she could say to make this better.

________________________

I pass Marcel as I enter and he exits the Compound. He sends me a sad smile and I nod sadly at him, before heading up the stairs to the twins room. Elijah is standing next to their door with a solemn look on his face. Clearly, Marcel had broke the news to him, like Davina had to me. Just as I'm about to enter Nik storms out of the room, barely looking at either of us.

"Get in the car." He demands. "The three of us are taking Hope and Bexley on a little trip."

I furrow my eyebrows as Elijah and I follow after him. "Are you out of your mind?" Elijah questions in disbelief.

"They can sleep on the drive." Nik states.

"Surely you heard Marcel." Elijah points out.

"He doesn't know anything!" Nik snaps.

"Nik." I protest. "Where are we going?"

"The twin's school knows how to deal with a werewolf's first transformation." Nik answers, still walking and not sparing us a glance. "They have a facility."

"Mystic Falls?" Elijah inquires. "I take it you have a plan."

Nik finally turns and looks at us. "I do and while I execute it, I need you two to look after them, to- to make sure they don't exert themselves."

"Wouldn't it be better for you to find someone Hope and Bexley despise a little less than me? Perhaps quite literally anyone else they've ever met. Kelsey can handle them on her own." Elijah objects.

"How they feel about you is of no consequence." Nik points out. "I have until the crest of the full moon to save their lives. We've defied the inevitable for a dozen lifetimes. I am not about to surrender to it now. Please, Elijah. You're the only one I trust to help Kelsey."

"Let me help you." I cut in, looking at Nik.

"You are, by keeping them safe and preoccupied." Nik states.

__________________________

Elijah and I stand in the library at the Salvatore Boarding School with Hope and Bexley. The twins are looking at a glass case that holds an old picture from 1864 of Katherine Peirce and an old journal bond in leather.

"The diary of Stefan Salvatore." Elijah states.

"We're not suppose to touch it, but I practically have the whole thing memorized." Hope says with crossed arms and Bexley nods in agreement. "Spoiler Alert: Dad is the villain and you're the evil henchman."

"From one very biased perspective." Elijah defends.

"Yeah, well, I, uh, got a second opinion." She sasses and then she walks over to a book shelf. "The Mystic Falls Files by Alaric Saltzman, Volume One." She grabs the book and flips through it. "In every story, Dad is the big bad wolf."

"Well." I sigh. "Everyone is the villain in someone else's story. That's life." I shrug. "Your dad has lived over a thousand years. It's a lot of time to make enemies. I've had horrific stories too. But, he's not always the bad guy and ever since I've meet him he's changed significantly. Especially after you two were born."

"Yes." Elijah agrees. "The three of you have opened up a side of Klaus I was beginning to lose hope existed. I've tried to pull it out of him for centuries with no avail. Your mother enters the picture pregnant and strong-willed and his whole perspective changed."

"Yeah, well people change people." Bexley shrugs. Hope gasps and grabs her head.

"Hope?" I worry, walking over to her. "What's going on?"

"What's happening?" Elijah asks in concern.

"Nothing. I'm fine." She turns and looks at us, dropping her hand off her forehand.

"Well, Davina said she gave you some pills for discomfort." Elijah says.

"Yeah, well, you know what would really make me feel better?" She states looking at Elijah. "Is spending the day with, like, anyone else."

"I second that." Bexley grumbles.

"Girls." I sigh.

"Let's get out of here." Elijah suggests, ignoring what they said. "I know a place in town. Does a disturbingly decadent burger. Let's do that."

"We're not hungry." They say in unison.

"Fine. You can have a milkshake." Elijah says.

______________________

We had found a table under an umbrella in front of a small bar and grill called The Grill in the middle of Mystic Falls. The twins had been here before, since it isn't that far from the school. Elijah is, also, familiar with it from his time tormenting Stefan Salvatore and his friends with his siblings. Apparently, it's a pretty popular place around here. The twins had already ordered and got their food and Elijah and I just got a couple of drinks.

I've spent most of my time today playing mediator between Elijah and the girls. Even though, I agree with them and don't blame them for having issues with Elijah. I still try to keep the peace, especially since Nik is the one that asked us to do this. I tried to raked my brain to figure out what exactly he has planned, but I come up empty.

"If you're here to tell me that my dad has a heart of gold, this is probably the worst spot, considering that there's a plaque inside near the dartboard for some woman that he killed in a moonstone ritual." Hope voice from my right. Bexley is sitting on my other side and Elijah is across from us.

"Of course there is." I sigh, shaking my head.

"Take a look at the storefront across the street with the charcoal awning." The girls and I lock our eyes on a brick building with a small yellow 'Grand Opening' sign above the door. "That piece of land used to be our home. Smell of it still haunts me to this day. The burning wood, the crushed flowers, the berries. Your father was incessantly painting back in those days. Mixing, searching for brighter reds, for deeper blues. Used to wake me in the middle of the night just to show me the color that he would swear he himself had invented. I remember the first time that he showed me a turquoise." I smiled softly at Nik's childlike innocence. "It's also the first time I smelled blood." My smile falls and the twins stay quiet, listening to his words. "You see, when Mikael found Niklaus fashioning a paintbrush from a small branch, he took that branch..." Elijah pauses and takes a breath, remembering their abusive dick of a father. "He struck my brother across the face."

"What did you do?" Hope questions.

"You defended him, right?" Bexley adds.

"Niklaus begged me to run away with him, but I told him that I would never leave Rebekah and Kol at the mercy of Mikael." Elijah explains. "So we stayed. And, of course, it was a mistake. We should've run away together, but... your father couldn't go alone. But I did swear to him I would protect him from that very day."

"Peanut Butter Blast, whipped cream on the bottom and an Oreo shake with no whipped cream." Our waiter, a boy about the twins age with curly raven hair and bright blue eyes, says putting the ice cream in front of the twins. The Peanut Butter one in front of Hope and the Oreo to Bexley. "Just how you two like it."

"Thanks, Landon." Hope smiles politely and glances down. Landon stares at her fondly. My eyebrows raise in interest.

"Yeah, thank you very much." Bexley nods in agreement, but he keeps his eyes on Hope.

"Yeah." He acknowledges with a smile.

"Uh, this is our mom and our uncle." Hope introduces us. Landon nods and smiles politely.

"Nice to meet you Ms. Claire." He holds out his hand for me to shake and I smile, taking his hand and nodding. "Mr. Claire." He does the same to Elijah. Elijah smiles in amusement and shakes his hand. "So, Hope. You and Bexley haven't been around much lately."

"Oh, yeah, there's been stuff back at home." Hope vaguely explains.

"Oh. Well, I was hoping you'd be back." He says nervously. I smirk slightly and watch quietly with Bexley and Elijah. "I mean, you're from New Orleans, right? I've always wanted to go. It's home to some of the greatest musicians of all time." Ice comes flying at Landon, hitting his shoulder. My eyes go in the direction it came from and land on a group of three high school boys two tables away. They're laughing as they continue to pelt him with ice.

"You should go." Hope suggests smiling at Landon. "No matter where you are, there's always someone playing a Louis Armstrong song somewhere." Elijah throws up his hand and catches a piece of ice flying at Landon.

"Uh, actually, there's, um, there's music in the square tonight." He swallows his nerves. My smile widens as I witness this brave boy ask out my daughter right in front of me and her uncle. "I mean, they do it all the time, but tonight there's this kind if bluesy vibe and thought maybe if you wanted..."

"Oh, Landon, I-I can't tonight." She cuts him off and my smile falls. "I have a thing."

"Right, yeah." He sighs. "I should probably pick up an extra shift anyway."

"No, thanks, though, for asking and for the milkshake." Hope smiles sadly at him.

"Yeah. It was nice to meet you." Landon says and I smile and slightly wave.

"And you." Elijah agrees.

"See you later, Landon." Bexley salutes. Hope sighs and picks up her spoon as Landon walks away.

"Bexley, do we like Landon?" I look at her, ignoring the sharp pain that suddenly shoots through my chest.

She nods. "Totally. He's super nice and definitely crushing on Hope. I've got no weird of uncomfortable vibes off him."

I turn to Hope. "Then, why on earth did you reject that poor boy?" I inquire.

"The full moon doesn't crest until later." Elijah points out. "You could've gone with him. Why didn't you?"

"Because Bexley and I are gonna be dead soon." Hope states bluntly. I furrow my eyebrows at her and then turn to Bexley, who is staring into her milkshake.

"How did you guys know?" Elijah asks.

"Every witch in our family locked in the bell tower all week." Hope explains. "Creepy black veins all over my body."

"My body feeling like I'm being drained and like it's slowly shutting down." Bexley shrugs.

"And..." Hope takes a deep breath. "It hurts, you know?"

"How long do we have?" Bexley questions.

"We should have told them sooner." I muttered. I grab their hands and look back and forth between them. "In your state, we are afraid that the two of you won't be strong enough to handle the full moon." I tell them gently, keeping my emotions in check.

"Great." Bexley sighs.

"What's not to handle?" Hope mutters. "It's only every bone in our bodies breaking all at once."

"You listen to me." Elijah orders, leaning forward. "Your father is searching for a cure, even as we speak. We will not allow anything to happen to the two of you. You understand?"

"Elijah, it might be all for the best anyway." Hope says and I look at her in disbelief.

"Why would you say that?" He asks, before I can.

"Hey, nice outfit. That's really cute." One of the obnoxious boys from early cuts off our conversation. "All right, boys, let's roll." The boys stand as Landon walks over to clear their table. The ring leader grabs a piece of ice out of his cup and tosses it at Landon's face. Hope sighs in annoyance and Bexley balls up her fists. I narrow my eye at the bullies and fight the urge to throw them into a wall. "Whoa-ho-ho. I'm so sorry." The boys laughs unapologetically. "I didn't mean to, it slipped. That's my bad."

"You guys are seven bucks short." Landon states sternly.

"No, that's your tip, Kirby." I growl lowly and stand up. I make my way over to Landon. "That's a negative seven bucks for the poor service that we received."

I walk over and slam down a one hundred dollar bill on top of their bill. "Actually, that's a ninety-three dollar tip for having to deal with ungrateful little shits like these three little boys." I glare at the teenage bullies. The ringer leader raises his eyebrows and looks me up and down.

"Come home with me and I'll show you how little I'm not." The child flirts smugly and unashamed, while his friends fist bump behind his back.

"Connor." Landon shakes his head. "Don't."

Connor goes to retaliate, but I cut in again. "Connor, is it?" I smile in disgusts. He smirks and nods. "No respectable girl is going to want anything to do with a lowly, disrespectful, baboon. I mean, your ass must be jealous from the shit I've heard come out of your mouth." I pat Landon on the shoulder. "Landon here is the real hero because he has to tolerate your shit everyday. I mean, sure." I shrug. "Everyone's entitled to act stupid every now and then but you three clearly abuse that privilege. So, please, do us a favor and go back to the hole you crawled out of and let the rest of us go back to having a good day, before your mouth ruined it." Connor's eyes turn into slits as he glares at me. "Aww. Don't get bitter, be better." I mocked in a fake pout. "Goodbye now." I wave sarcastically. "Have the day you deserve."

"Let's go." Connor scoffs to his friends and they make their way over to their car, getting in and driving off.

"You didn't have to do that." Landon shakes his head.

"I absolutely did." I deny. "You may not be able to stick up for yourself at work, but I don't work here and I don't have to worry about getting fired."

"Well, thank you." He smiles gratefully and tries to pass me my money back. "You can have this back. It's not your place to pick up their tab."

"No, it isn't." I shrug. "But, it's not yours either. So, keep it."

"Thank you." He smiles. "I appreciate it."

"Don't mention it." I wave him off and then I walk back over to our table.

"Do you know how to drive?" Elijah asks the twins.

"Um, Mom and Davin taught us a little in Aunt Hayley's old truck." Hope shrugs.

"But, then Davin started hitting on Mom a little too much and Mom didn't want to lead him on." Bexley finishes as Elijah puts three hundred dollars on the table.

Elijah stands and fixes his jacket. "I think it's probably time you drove a Bentley. Come with me." He gestures and the twins quickly follow him, with me trailing behind.

_____________________

Hope is driving and Bexley is sitting behind her. I hold on to the back of Elijah's seat in anxiety, as he guides her from the front. The twins aren't horrible drivers, but they're not very confident in it and sometimes it definitely shows.

"That would be a stop sigh approaching." Elijah points out, but Hope doesn't slow down right away. "That's a stop sign." He stressed again.

"Hope." I warn her.

"Okay, okay, don't have a panic attack about it." She quips and Bexley laughs, as she jerks us to a stop. "It's not like I can kill you two and Bexley and I are dying already, so..."

"Is it absolutely necessary to destroy this work of art in the process?" Elijah questions admiring his car. I roll my eyes as the car begins to move again.

"We know what you two are doing." Bexley says looking at Elijah and me. "The milkshakes and the driving lessons."

"Life's little pleasures, or whatever." Hope sighs.

"You guys aren't as slick as you think." Bexley shakes her head. "We aren't, like, suicidal or anything, if that's what you guys are worried about."

"Yeah. That's not what I meant when I said that dying might be for the best." Hope says.

"Well, you two certainly don't seem to have any interest in your survival." Elijah counters.

"It's not like we want to die." Hope explains. "We just...."

"We don't believe we were meant to exist in the first place." Bexley finishes, shrugging her shoulders.

"We think about all the crazy things that led to us being born." Hope continues. "Dad lives a thousand years, does a weird ritual to become the only vampire who can procreate. Mom gets kicked out and has to survive on her own at sixteen. Only for here to end up in Mystic Falls to help her best friend. When Dad got sad and drunk...."

"Okay." Elijah cuts her off, but she continues.

"had a one-nighter with Mom, who was basically hate -banging him at the time."

"Hope!" I exclaim. "I was not." Bexley gives me a pointed look. "Okay, fine." I huff.

"We don't have to..." Elijah tries again, but Hope doesn't listen. "Honestly..."

"Then, boom. Loophole." Hope says. "Miracle babies. But can you be a miracle and a mistake at the same time?"

"No one is a mistake, Hope." Elijah denies.

"Especially not the two of you." I tell them.

"This family has fought tooth and nail to keep you guys alive from the moment we learned of your existence." Elijah adds.

"I know." She sighs. "But the universe has been trying to kill us since before we were born. To reset the balance of nature. And I'm grateful that you guys have fought so hard. But we knew that when we took the power back that we might die. It was our decision."

   "Turn right here." Elijah instructs.

   Elijah directs Hope into Mystic Falls High School parking lot. The cheerleader are outside waving cars into their car wash fundraiser. Hope parks in a parking space that is a few yards in front of Connor's, the kid from the Grill, car. A few jocks in Leatherman Jackets are washing his car, as Connor hits on a blonde girl.

   "Okay, so we're gonna spend our final hours watching Connor get to first base with runner-up Miss Mystic Falls?" Hope questions.

    "Yeah, it's very nauseating. Do we have to?" Bexley groans.

   "Why do you think your friend Landon didn't fight back?" Elijah inquires.

   "Um, I don't know, he's... he has to keep his job." Hope assumes.

   "That and they probably make his school life a living hell." Bexley shrugs, with an eye roll. "Sometimes fighting back can make something worse."

   "He has to keep his job." Elijah nods. "We, however, have nothing to lose. Which is why your mother defended him."

    "And it was totally bad ass." Bexley smirks.

   "Language." I chuckle. "But, thank you."

    "You do understand, I could compel these idiots to do just about anything you want." Elijah vaguely suggests.

   "Or you can compel them to forget what Bexley and I are about to do." Hope says, with a raised eyebrow. Hope and Bexley climb out of the driver side and Elijah and I share a look, before following.

   "That's not what I'm suggesting." Elijah denies. "You two cannot be reckless with your energy."

   "If we die in jock revenge mode, it'll be worth it." Hope counters.

   "Just be sure to put it on our tomb stones." Bexley winks.

   "Not funny." I mumble.

   "Girls, you have to conserve your strength." Grabbing Hope's arm, Elijah turns her to him.

   "Relax, We'll be fine." Hope yanks her arm away.

   "Elijah." I sigh. "It's fine."

   The twins join hands and start to chant. " Glace, solidatur. Glace, solidatur. Glace, solidatur." The water on the car freezes and then the window shatter.

   "OH!" Connor exclaims. "My... My car! Oh my god! What did you, what did you do to my car?!" He continues to panic, as the twins smirk. "Every single-- what did you do to my car?!"

   "Yeah, that felt good." Hope admits.

   "Yeah." Elijah smiles, admiring their work.

   "I did say he should have the day he deserves." I shrug with a chuckle, while crossing my arms.

________________________

   Connor speeds out of the parking lot, pissed off. Elijah and I make our way over to the girls after making sure all the witnesses didn't see anything abnormal. The twins are leaning against the hood on Elijah's Bentley.

   "You know your father would kill me if he knew I let you do that." Elijah says.

   "We won't tell." The twins speak together.

   "Please don't."

   "Or just blame it on me." I shrug. "I said it was okay anyway."

   Hope sighs, heavily. "Let's go back to the school. Okay? I need to lay down." Her face is scrunched up in discomfort, just like Bexley's.

   "My turn to drive." Bexley mumble and they both walk over to the driver's door.

   "Hey." Elijah calls to them, making them turn. "Don't give up on this fight."

   "It's too late, Elijah." Hope exclaims. "Okay? I can feel it."

   "Me too." Bexley nods. "You both should just tell dad to stop looking for a Hail Mary. He's gone through enough torment."

   "You two are the reason that his life of torment has not been in vain." Elijah tells them, as I hold in my tears... again. "Now, it your two are not going to fight for yourself, you go fight for him and your mom."

   "We don't want to fight anymore." Hope admits. "We can't save our dad. Okay? W-We're not saviors. If anything, We're murderers."

   "Listen to me." Elijah demands. I step closer to them. "The man in the church was not your fault."

   "I'm talking about Aunt Hayley!" Hope cries.

   "Your Aunt was not your fault." Elijah denies. "If anything, it was mine. Now you blame me."

   "Guess what?" Bexley snaps, cutting in. "We've tried. No matter how we look at it, it's our responsibility."

   "Roman and his mom were afraid of us." Hope exclaims. "We were the ones who kidnapped her and mom in the first place. We left them to be taken."

   "Roman and his mom were afraid of your dad, of Hayley, and of me. Not just the two of you." I correct her. "Their hate was imbedded long before the two of you and vampires like them will be around long after you. Hayley dying wasn't your fault."

   "This family needs you two." Elijah says. "We need you, and you are going to survive."

   "Why?" Hope questions. "Why? We've spent our entire life trying to get our family back together, and if anything, we've ruined it, okay? W-We broke it. So please, just let us go, because I'm tired. I'm so tired. And if anything, we just want to see Aunt Hayley." She cries. She and Bexley groan at the same.

    "Hope? Bexley? What's wrong?" Elijah urges in concern as I quickly approach them. I grab Bexley's face in my hands and examine her scrunched up features, while Elijah does the same to Hope. Suddenly, both girls lose consciousness and collapse. Elijah catches Hope and I catch Bexley before they hit the ground.

    "Bexley?" I start to panic. I quickly check her pulse and feel her heartbeat. "Hope?" I nudge my other daughter, who is in Elijah's arms. "Elijah.... I don't ---" I breath out, as my heart pounds violently in my chest.

    "Let's get them to Klaus." He states and I nod.

______________________

    Elijah and I pull up to an abandon house, that is shabby and probably unstable, on the Salvatore Boarding School's property. We quickly jump out of the car and pull the twins out with us. I carry Hope onto the porch and Elijah follows with Bexley. We lay them on the wood side-by-side.

   "Niklaus!" Elijah bellows. I keep my focus on the twins. I rest my head on Hope's chest looking for a heartbeat. Nik rushes over and kneels on the other side of the twins. "They just collapsed." Elijah tries to explain. "I don't know..."

   "Quiet." Nik demands sternly and he checks Bexley's pulse. "No heartbeat."

   I lift my head off Hope's chest. "Hope doesn't have one either." I announce with a shakey breath. "No, no, no, no. This is not happening." I mutter.

    "Hope! Bexley!" Nik exclaims shaking them a little.

_____________________

Bexley's Point of View

   The sound of crickets makes me open my eyes. It's really dark and difficult to see, so I rub my eyes to help them adjust. Hope sits up next to me and I follow after her.

   "Are we in the Bayou?" I whisper.

   "Bexley? Hope?" A familiar voice calls from behind us, as we get to our feet. We immediately swing our bodies around. Hayley is standing a few feet away, staring at us in shock.

   "Aunt Hayley." Hope sighs. We rush over to her and she meets us halfway. The three of us collide in a hug and we squeeze each other tight. Tears escape my eyes and Hayley frantically pushes us out of the hug.

   "What happened?" She interrogates. "Why are you two here?" 

    "We... We were sick." Hope explains. "Aunt Hayley, there's so much that we have to tell you."

   "You should be here." Aunt Hayley states. "It's not your time yet."

   "It's okay." I reassure her. "We're tried of fighting. We want to be here. We wanted to see you."

    "No." She shakes her head. "You both have to go back. I need you two to fight this. Your mom and dad need you to fight this."

    "Aunt Ha--" Hope tries to protest.

    "No." Hayley cuts her off. "You two haven't lived yet. You need to go back and fight to survive. So, wake up."

__________________________

Kelsey's Point of View

    "Get Caroline." Nik orders Elijah. "Tell her to bring the girls." Nik checks Hope's pulse again. "Go!" Elijah vamps away and Nik and I nod at each other. I interlock my fingers and start doing compressions on Hope and Nik does the same to Bexley.

   "What's your plan?" I grunt.

   "A Hail Mary." He answers vaguely. "Please come back to us." He pleads with the twins, as we continue compressions.

    "Hope! Bexley!" I call out to them. "Wake up, damn it!"

_________________________

Bexley's Point of View

   "Hope! Bexley!" Mom's panicked voice cuts through the night. "Wake up, damn it!" She pleads.

   "You... you have to go back to your mom and dad." Hayley says when she hears the fear in our mom's voice. "They need you. Both of them have lost so much. Don't make them lose you two, too."

    "Aunt Hayley...." My voice croaks, as my throat tightens.

   "We're so sorry." Hope finishes, tears leaving her eyes, too. "We're so sorry for everything that happened and we can't forgive ourselves."

   "We never wanted you or mom to get hurt and it's our fault you did." I cry. "We were so selfish and we got you killed. How do we forgive ourselves for that? How could you?"

    "Easily." She puts both her hands on each of our cheeks. "I never had to forgive you. Okay? I never blamed you. But, if you both need to hear it then... I forgive you. Okay? Hope, Bexley, I forgive you. And I know that you're scared, and I know that you're sad, and that's okay. What happened this year was about hatred and ugliness that was born long before you and long before me. I need you both to fight this. Bexley, Hope, wake up."

    "We don't want to leave you." Hope pleads. "We don't want you to be alone."

    "Oh, babies." She shakes her head with a soft smile. "I'm not alone. Listen." I open my ears to the sounds around me and I can pick up people, happily chatting away. There is, also, someone strumming a guitar. "Come with me." Hayley says, grabbing our hands and pulling us with her. The laughter gets louder as we get closer to a campfire that is surrounded by people. Crescent Wolves. "Look." They're laughing and telling stories. Some are drinking and others are dancing. Jackson is seated in the middle of the group with a guitar in his lap and a large smile on his face. "Jackson is here." He sees the three of us and immediately stops strumming and stands to his feet. "My parents." Aunt Hayley continues. "Your mom's parents. Grandma Mary." She turns and looks at us. "I'm not dead because of you. I'm at peace because of you."

    "If we go back, will we see you again?" I ask her.

   "Not for a very, very long time." Aunt Hayley's eyes water. "So you both better have good stories, okay? Make art. Use your voice. Have adventures. And have at least one totally epic love. And be every bit of yourself. Because the very best of your mom and dad is in the two of you."

    "I love you." I tell her.

    "I love you, Aunt Hayley." Hope repeats. "You are like our second mom."

    "I love you guys, too." She says though tears. "So much. Thank you for showing me what it's like to have daughters, even if you're not really mine."

    "Sorry to interrupt." A soft voice says. A beautiful woman with long dark hair, fair skin, and bright blue eyes walks over to us. She carefully scans me and Hope in awe. A man walks up behind her and places his hand on her shoulder. He smiles fondly at us and crinkles appear next to his eyes. His shoulders are broad and his brown hair is slightly messy. "I just... I would know those blue eyes anywhere and I didn't want to miss the chance to meet you guys."

    I glance at Hayley in question and she smiles widely. "Bexley, Hope, meet Beverly and Noah Labonair." My eyes widen. "Your mom's parents. Your grandparents."

    "It's so amazing to meet you." Beverly grins.

    "It really is." Noah says kindly.

    "You too." Hope whispers in shock.

   "I didn't get much time with your mother before I was taken from her." Beverly states. "I'm so glad she turned out okay. I mean look at you two. She must be alright?"

    "She is." I nod. "I mean, her lifes not always been easy. But, she's a fantastic mom and she completely in love with our dad. Everybody loves her. She is kind, forgiving, generous, and funny. She's, also, stubborn and hard headed."

   "Ain't that the truth." Hope laughs. "She's selfless and protective. We are very lucky to have her, even if we take it for granted sometimes."

   Beverly smiles and wipes away a tear off her cheek. "Tell her I'm sorry. I never wanted to leave her. She means the world to me and not watching her grow up is the thing I regret most."

   "We will." I nod at her and quickly hug her. Her hands are shaking when she places them on my back, but I ignore it and squeeze her tight.

   "Will you, also, tell her my death wasn't her fault." Noah says as I pull from Beverly and Hope hugs her. "And that I'm sorry for not telling her about her werewolf side. I thought I was protecting her by keeping it a secret. And tell both of my girls that I love them very much."

    "Of course." Hope nods.

    "Aunt Hayley?" I look at her. Hayley smiles at us. "Any messages, before we go back."

    "Just tell your mom I miss her and my death isn't on her. She should forgive Elijah. It's not his fault either, he didn't know." She wipes her tears. "Tell her to get married and be happy. And to hold you guys tight. I want so many stories when I see the three of you again." She grabs Hope and I in a hug. "I love you three, always and forever." She whispers between our heads and into our hair.

    "I don't want to let go." Hope cries and I squeeze Hayley tighter in agreement. Hayley sighs and pulls back. "Everything will be okay, I promise. And will see each other again." She leans in and whispers. "Tell Elijah, I'm still waiting for that dance."

Kelsey's Point of View

   The adrenaline prevents my arms from giving out as I, steadily, continue to push on Hope's chest. Nik hasn't stopped on Bexley's either. I ignore the tears that are falling off my cheeks and onto Hope's shirt. I've managed to push my panic aside and focus on trying to get her back.

    "Please, girls. Please." Nik mutters. "Come back to us."

    "Wake up. Wake up. Wake up." I repeat over and over.

   "Bexley, Hope, please." Nik whispers pleadingly.

   Suddenly, the twins gasp awake and propel their bodies into sitting positions.

   "Hope." I breath out holding onto her shoulders.

   "Bexley." Nik copies my actions with Bexley.

   "Mom, Dad." The say in unison, panting.

   Relief floods me and Nik. We hug them together and repeat "you're okay" over and over.

   "Mom, Dad." The girls say together pulling back. The four of us have tear stained faces.

    "We don't want to die. We don't want to die." Hope cries.

    "Oh, thank god." I sigh in relief.

    "I know." Nik tells them.

   "Don't let us die." Bexley says, shaking her head.

   "I know. You're not gonna die." Nik assures them. "Sweethearts, you're not gonna die. I found a way to save both of your lives."

   "You did?" I ask, snapping my head over to him.

   "I did." He nods. "And everything is gonna be better in the morning. I promise you. I promise." He pulls us in for another hug.

____________________

   Nik and I walk with the twins in the middle of Mystic Fall's town square. Music plays in the background from the band Landon had mentioned to Hope when he asked her on a date.

   "Look, I know it's not an ideal evening, but the timing is right." Nik says, coming to a stop. "Once you both are in mid-transformation, the Saltzman girls will be able to siphon the magic out of you, Hope. And that should, also, stop the Hollow from draining you, Bexley."

   "Are you sure about this?" Hope inquires and I understand why. Something about this plan feels off.

   "Yeah." Nik nods, looking around the square, before setting his eyes back on the twins. "I'll dispose of the magic later. Tonight... is about you two." The twins look past me and Nik. I follow their gaze and see Elijah sitting on a bench.

   "There's something we promised to tell you, Mom." Bexley says.

   "Well, a few things." Hope corrects. "When we passed out, we saw Aunt Hayley."

   "You did?" My eyes widen.

   Bexley nods. "And your mom and dad."

I glance at Nik in shock, to find him already looking at me for my reaction. "Together?" They nod simultaneously.

"Your mom, Beverly, said she loves you and that she's so sorry you had to experience life without her. She never wanted that." Hope tells me. "You mean everything to her."

"We told her that you are a fantastic mom." Bexley smiles and I brush a tear away. "And that we got incredibly lucky to have you." She sighs. "Your dad wants you to stop blaming yourself. His death wasn't your fault. He is sorry, too. He thought he was protecting you by concealing your werewolf side from you. He never meant to make your life harder. He loves you."

My vision is slightly blurry as I listen to the twins. It's a lot of information to take in and I'm not sure what to say. I have always struggled with my mom's abandonment. Then, I found out that she died. But, even then, I found myself wondering if she would have wanted me or if I'd still would have been left behind.

As for my dad, I never stopped blaming myself. I've relived his fall a billion times and no matter how I try to explain it, I'm the reason he fell. But, to know that he doesn't blame me lifts a heavy weight off my shoulders. My guilt lessens and it gives me some relief. Now, I just have to forgive myself.

"And Aunt Hayley..." Hope sighs carefully. "She, also, wants you to stop blaming yourself for her death. It wasn't your fault, Mom."

"She wants to hear all our stories when she sees us again." Bexley smiles. "She wants you and dad to finally get married." I chuckle and Nik smirks. "Hayley wants you to be happy. She loves you."

"And, Mom, she said it's time to forgive Elijah." Hope adds and I glance at Elijah, who is still sitting on a bench and looking at the ground. "She knows you're angry, but she doesn't blame him."

I reach forward and grab their shoulders, yanking them into me. I hug them tightly and they squeeze me just as much.

"Thank you." I whisper into their hair.

They pull back and Hope looks at me sincerely. "We love you, Mom."

"I love the two of you. More than you know." I smile.

"We love you too, Dad." Bexley nudges him and he chuckles. Nik puts his hand on the other of her head, pulling her to him and kissing her hair. She laughs and then her eyes go back to Elijah and she sobers up. "There's something Hope and I have to do."

Hope follows her gaze to Elijah and she nods. "We'll be right back." She and Bexley walk over to Elijah.

"They amaze me." Nik raises his eyebrows with a smile.

"Everyday." I smile watching them talk to Elijah. I turn to Nik. "So, when the Saltzman's twins siphon the magic from Hope, where are they going to put it?" I cross my arms. "Because had this been an doable plan we would have done it seven years ago, instead of slitting it up between you and your siblings."

Nik sighs defeatedly. "Can we talk about this later?"

"Because you know I'm not going to like it." I roll my eyes. "I'll give you a couple of hours, but we're at the deadline. And I will know the plan before it happens."

"I promise." He sighs and I nod. "Are you okay? That was a lot to hear." He gestures to the twins.

"Not at all, but I will be." I tell him honestly. "It helped."

He wraps his arms around my shoulders. My hands automatically encircle his waist and I sigh in contentment. Suddenly, Nik tenses and I look up at him in confusion. I follow his intense stare and see Hope in the crowd of people, dancing with Landon. I grin in amusement.

"And who is that?" Nik inquires.

"That is Landon." I smirk up at him. "He asked her out earlier and she turned him down because of the full moon. I'm glad she changed her mind." He grunts in annoyance. "Don't worry." I nudge him. "He seems very respectful and Bexley says he's harmless."

"Boys are never harmless." He disagrees.

"I believe this one is." I chuckle, as Caroline approaches us.

"Don't worry. I'll behave myself." He assures her, wrapping his arm around my waist.

"With Kelsey here, I'm not worried." Caroline jabs, winking at me. I laugh and Nik rolls his eyes.

"Thank you, for allowing your daughters to be involved in this mess." Nik changes the subject. I nod to her in agreement. "For trusting me."

"Years ago, when the girls were really little, I was in trouble." Caroline tells us, but mainly Nik. "I was scared; I just, I put the girls in the car, and I drove. And I ended up in New Orleans... looking for you." She looks at Nik. "You weren't there, but... but the point is, I think a part of me has always known that... you weren't the villain of my story." She shakes her head. "And since that's true, you should know that I'm not the only one that feels that way. You're not the villain in everyone's story. You're my friend. You're Hope and Bexley's hero. You're the love of Kelsey's life. You're a brother. You don't always have to be the bad guy. Klaus, you deserve the life you've built."

He smiles fondly at her and I scrunch my face up in confusion. "Okay. What is going on?"

"You haven't told her your plan?" Caroline asks in disbelief, glancing between us. I shake my head and pull away from him, crossing my arms. Nik swallows thickly. "I think we need to get back to the school. It's time."

"Which means, you're time of not having to explain is up." I raise my eyebrows.

"We'll be right behind you." Nik nods at Caroline, before turning his attention to Hope. "She can have the next five minutes dancing."

"I better track down Bexley." I huff and walk away from them.

_______________________

Nik and I are down in the Salvatore basement with the twins. We are gathering a couple of chains to help keep them contained while they're in wolf form. That way they don't hurt anyone.

"It's only pain." Nik tells them. "It's completely manageable. If you get scared, all you have to do is close your eyes, and--"

"Sing." Hope finishes for him. "Yeah, we know." He smiles at them.

"We'll be okay." Bexley assures Nik and me. But, my worried expression stays placed on my face. The moon is getting closer and closer to it's apex and Nik still has yet to tell me anything.

"We'll see you after." Hope adds.

"Yeah." Nik agrees. "See you after." The girls don't see it, but he doesn't seem sure of his words. I narrow my eyes at him. "The, uh, the Saltzman girls have made a siphon tonic, so I'll just go and get that."

"I'll go with you." I smile softly at the twins and then follow him out. When, we are out of the basement and are rounding the corner into the hallway I open my mouth. "Tell me what your plan is." I demand.

"Kelsey." He sighs, looking forward. He's face falls, when Elijah enters the hallway in front of us. He doesn't turn to us, instead Nik and I stare at his side profile. "I thought your were gone."

"And miss the chance to say goodbye?" Elijah questions and then he turns his head to Elijah.

"Goodbye?" I inquire, crossing my arms.

"Caroline told you." Nik realizes.

"Which is obviously not the same courtesy you've given Kelsey." Elijah states, seeing that I have no idea what the plan is. "I won't allow this, Niklaus." He walks towards us. "You know that and neither will Kelsey."

"And you know this is the only option." Nik counters. Elijah vamps at Nik and goes to grab something in Nik's jacket and I step back with a gasp in surprise. Nik manages to push Elijah away and Elijah tries again. This time he succeeds in getting the object and sending Nik into the wall. Nik falls on the ground.

"You tell those girls to take me instead." Elijah demands pointing a white oak stake at Nik. My eyes widen as his plan slowly starts to make sense.

"No." Nik denies.

"And you will take my life." Elijah continues, ignoring him.

"I have burdened you enough." Nik states, getting to his feet.

"Your daughters need you, Niklaus." Elijah argues.

"I'm not gonna kill you!" Nik yells.

He vamps at Elijah and grabs the stake from him. Elijah shakes him off and goes to throw him against the wall, but Nik switches places and pins Elijah instead. Elijah pushes him off. They share a few hits and kicks, before Elijah ends up on the ground. Nik grips his shoulder and slings Elijah down the hall. When he lands we hear his bones crunch as he grunts and falls unconscious. Nik picks up the fallen stake.

"Take care of them for me, brother." He whispers and I scoff loudly. Nik turns and looks at me with a regretful expression. "Kelsey."

"You didn't think I needed to know this, before now?" I question rhetorically, rolling my eyes.

"I knew you wouldn't agree." He shakes his head.

"Damn right." I snap. "But, that doesn't mean you can keep it from me. This should have been something we discussed, because we are a team. They're my kids too."

"They're dying." He exclaims. "And this is how I save them."

"But I doesn't have to be you!" I grit. "They just got you back and you're plan is to leave them again."

"It's the only way." He defends. "Besides, there's a chance I won't die. We're bonded, remember?"

"We don't know if that'll work?" I shake my head. "You'll have the Hollow in you. It could counteract the bond. You don't have to do this."

"If I don't, they will die." He protests.

"Then I will do it. They need you."

"They need you." He argues.

"They've had me their whole lives." I shake my head. "You haven't got to be there. It's my turn to sacrifice, so they can know you."

"No." He says sternly. "It's not an option."

"Nik--"

"We need to go." He walks towards to door of the basement. "The twins will be changing soon."

We walk down the stairs. Nik quickly goes over to the girls, who have chained themselves to the wall. He undoes their chains.

"Come on."

"What are you--" Bexley goes to ask in confusion.

"We don't have time." Nik shakes his head, and helps Hope up. I do the same with Bexley and the four of us rush out of the basement.

______________________

"Dad, what's going on?" Hope inquire, as we trek through the woods on the school's property.

"We shouldn't do this inside." He says.

"He's right." I agree. "You both should be out here. Under the moon and in nature."

"Here." Nik concludes, as he finds a spot far enough away from the school. "Drink this." He passes the tonic to Hope. He had stopped and grabbed it from the Saltzman twins, before we headed out here. Hope just has to drink it and then the twins can siphon the Hollow out of her. Then, she and Bexley will be okay. Hope immediately takes it and downs all the liquid in the vial.

As soon as she's done, her and Bexley fall on their hands and knees. "Ow, ow. Ah." Hope exclaims. Bexley grunts and groans in pain beside her.

"It's starting." Nik states. Nik and I quickly kneel in front of them. "Listen to me. This is going to hurt." He tells them honestly, as they pant. "So, you need to concentrate on the air in your lungs, and the ground beneath you."

I flinch at the sound of their bones cracking. "Aah! Dad!" Hope panics.

"Mom!" Bexley calls, grimacing in agony.

"The first time, it can take hours." Nik reveals to them.

"Hours?!" Hope's eyes widen in disbelief.

"Are you kidding?!" Bexley scoffs and gasps, as another bone snaps.

"If you fight it." Nik nods. "The pain will make you want to delay it because you think that's all you can take. But, if you let it in, if you allow it to swallow you whole, then it cannot break you."

"Yeah. We can do this." Hope breathes out and shares a confident look with Bexley.

"When you're done, run wild and free." Nik says. "I am so proud of you both." He glances at me and then looks back at the twins. "We both are."

"Very much so." I nod at them. "And you both are strong and capable of this. You just have to give in to it. Then, the adrenaline will set in and you'll feel amazing."

Bexley slightly nods with a grunt. Hope hisses in pain as her bones continue breaking. When they look up at us, they're eyes are ember and their fangs start to extend. They both release a scream as their clothes rip and they're backs arch. Hope, suddenly, is lifted off the ground and a bright blue light exits her chest. Once it's gone, she falls to the ground and her and Bexley fully change into wolves.

They stand and look at me and Nik, their ember eyes shining. I smile at them proudly. Hope has white fur with traces of gray and Bexley's coat is red with white fur on her paws and her under belly. They are both beautiful and amazing.

Nik and I smile softly at them and then nod for them to run. They both take off and we watch them go. Nik quickly vamps away and I follow him. If he wants to make decisions and not talk about his choices that involve me and the twins, then so can I.

We walk up to the abandoned house, that is lit of by hundreds of candles. Alaric is standing off to the side and his twins are in the middle of a large circle, with the bright blue light that came out of Hope floating between them as they chant.

"Where's Caroline?" Nik asks Alaric.

"Well, she's a vampire, and there's two baby wolves roaming around." Alaric explains. "She just... she couldn't watch you die."

"Magia tollox de terras." The girls chant.

"Listen, Kelsey." Nik sighs, turning to me. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I just knew you'd fight it. But, I need to do this. They have to live."

I smile tightly at him and place my hands on either side of his neck. "I know." I nod. "And they will, I promise." I sigh deeply. "I love you more than I ever imagined I could. You and the girls are everything to me."

"I love you back." He smiles with cloudy eyes, that match mine.

"That's why my doing what I'm doing." I tell him. He furrows his eyebrows, confused. "This is my decision. I'm so sorry."

"Wha--" He goes to ask, but I kick his knees sideways, breaking them and he grunts. Then, I vamp over to a tree and break off a branch, quickly imbedding it into his stomach. He groans in pain on the ground. "What are you doing?"

"What I have to." I tell him, stepping into the circle. I look at the twins. "Put it in me." I turn to Alaric. "Stake me."

"No!" Nik yells, trying to get up, but he hasn't healed.

"Magia tollox de terras." The twins continue to chant. The blue light starts to come at me.

"Kelsey!" Nik panics. I look at him and he is shaking his head, trying to get me to change my mind.

"Magia tollox de terras. Magia tollox de terras."

The light is an inch from my chest, when I'm shoved out of the way. I fly out of the circle and land on the ground at Alaric's feet. Someone screams in intense pain. I immediately jump up and see Elijah in between Josie and Lizzie. The blue light steaming into his chest.

"Elijah!" I exclaim.

"No!" Nik yells, yanking out the branch from his stomach. I try to enter the circle, but I'm stopped by a barrier.

"Solvo." The twins say. Elijah falls to the ground and the blue light is now gone.

"All right, come on, girls." Alaric hurries them away. "Come on, let's go."

"Elijah." Nik says, finally able to stand. Elijah stands and adjusts to the power inside him. "Elijah." Elijah looks at him and then vamps over and takes to the stake from Nik's jacket. Nik's too stunned by what just happened to fight back. Elijah places it at his chest, ready to bury it inside. "Don't."

"Wh-What the hell did you just do?!" I exclaim in annoyance and fear. I know that he and I haven't always agreed and I have spent most of our time together pissed off at him, but I don't want him to die. Especially, for Nik's sake.

He inhales deeply and goes to pierce his heart.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.4K 1.3K 95
Rewritten version of Danielle's story. Book Order: Starry Darkness [1] Smitten Storm [2] Shimmering Daylight [3] **** Having left Mystic Falls for...
726K 20.2K 49
Being the last witch of her kind, Lena Ricci has been protected by Rebekah Mikaelson her whole life. And then one day, as the two are having the tim...
5.4K 251 8
𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐂𝐀𝐍 𝐁𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐘 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐈 𝐂𝐀𝐍 𝐁𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑. Kiyanna and Niklaus were both lost in their own need to be feared...
141K 4.2K 50
Sequel to Amity Mikaelson. Amity goes to New Orleans to help the mother of her brother's baby, and to be with her family during her own pregnancy. Wi...