Chapter 20

Somehow Hayley has talked me into breathing exercises with Eve in the Bayou. Frankly, I find it unnecessary considering I have full intentions of having this baby with medical professionals and not in the swamp. However, she insisted by saying anything could happen. So, now I am laying down in the middle of the cabin floor. Blankets and pillow surround me, as Eve holds my knees.

"Inhale and release." She coaches and I copy her while holding my belly.

"I'm guessing the way you guys do things means no pain meds?" I inquire making Hayley chuckle from behind me. She is sitting at my back, helping me prop myself up. "Why are you guys against hospitals, with drugs and doctors?"

"Honey, the werewolves have been having babies out here since before you were born." Eve smiles kindly. "Stop worrying."

"I don't even know how to be a mom." I shrug, sitting up straighter. "I never really had one."

"Your mother..." Eve starts but I cut her off.

"I don't want to know." I wince.

"Trust me, when the time comes, you'll know exactly what to do." She reassures me with a soft smile.

"I hope so." I mutter. "Even though it's fun to think about Nik changing diapers, I'm thinking I'll be alone in this for the most part."

"Somehow I doubt that." Eve says.

"Yeah, you'll have me, Davina, and Cami." Hayley squeezes my shoulder.

"Pardon the interruption." Elijah appears at the door way. "I wonder if I might have a quick word with the conspirators of a supposed uprising."

"Oh lordy." I sigh. "Help me up." I put my hands in the air signaling Hayley to pull me up.

______________________

Hayley and I gather Jackson and Oliver. We bring Elijah to a old barn near the cabin. Elijah stands in front of the four of us.

"You're making a grave mistake." Elijah starts.

"So you're just worried about us. Is that it?" Oliver says sarcastically.

"Look, Elijah." Jackson intercepts. "We know all about your brother's reputation, but if there is even a chance these rings can help us take control of our curse... Our gift. Then, honestly we don't care what he's really after. We won't have to."

"I see." Elijah nods. "There are those in the Quarter who will consider this a great provocation."

"Apparently, most of them see us breathing the same way." Oliver replies.

"So what? They want Moonlight rings." I shrug. "Vampires have Daylight rings. How is this any different?"

"You signed a pledge, and you looked me in the eye as you did so." Elijah addresses Hayley.

"We don't want a fight, Elijah." Hayley tells him. "We just want a better life."

"Allegiance with my brother will guarantee you anything but that." Elijah says.

A motorcycle sounds outside, capturing our attention.

"What the hell?" Jackson questions. Jackson and Elijah are the first ones to investigate. Oliver, Hayley, and I following after them.

The motorcycle is occupied by a man and he arrives using an unmarked path in the middle of the camp. As we all approach him, he stops.

"Which one of you is in charge?" The stranger inquires.