Chapter 19

Last night Marcel escorted me to the safe house, which is St. James Infirmary. Hayley and Jackson stayed here with us, along with several wolves posted to guard the twins. Sleep wasn't really an option last night because every little sound put me on edge.

   "Okay. Good news, Dahlia still doesn't know that we're here. Bad news, she's given us until tomorrow night and then she's coming for Hope and Bexley." Hayley tells Jackson. Rebekah had just informed me that Josephine, the elder of the Treme Coven, showed up at the Compound this morning. She had been under the control of Dahlia and Nik removed her head from her body.

   I pick up Bexley and Hayley grabs Hope from where they were playing on the floor. Aiden and another wolf were talking quickly at the table, probably about guard shifts and plans of defense in case the witch does find us. Jackson walks up to us and gestures for us to move to the side of the room.

   "Then I say we get the hell out of here."

   "What are you talking about?" I ask in confusion.

   "Jackson and I were thinking that we should run. The twins, you, us, and the pack." Hayley sighs.

   I instantly shake my head. "No. I'm not taking the twins from Nik."

   "What if it's what will save them?" Jackson questions.

   "We will save them by working together, not running and hiding. Besides, Dahlia will find them anywhere. Our best defense is the Mikaelson's and they're my family." I retort.

   "Look, Jack, I wanna go as much as you do, but think." Hayley says. "Freya said that Dahlia was drawn to their magic."

   "Yeah, which is how she knows they're twins." I deadpan.

   "No matter how far we go, Kelsey's right, she'll be able to track us. At least this place is spelled." Hayley continues. "No one can do magic here. Not the twins or Dahlia."

   "Sure this place is spelled but we've seen bigger magic than this break. I say we run while we can." He tries again. Hayley and I place the twins in their pack-n-play next to us.

   "It's a risk either way." She says as we watch the twins. "They're just so little. It's not fair. Witchcraft and magical spells. They didn't ask for any of this."

   A light bulb goes off in my head. "That would mean if it's gone they wouldn't miss it. Dahlia only senses they're magic when they use it. What if we can stop the twins from using magic?"

   "They're just babies, how are we gonna do that?" Hayley inquires.

   "I have an idea." I tell them. "But it's dangerous, especially right now."

   "Let me do it." Aiden speaks up. "Look, whatever it is. It's my fault you guys didn't get away yesterday." I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion and Hayley glances at me with guilt.

   "That wasn't you fault, Aiden." Jackson tells him.

   "What do you mean 'get away'? Where you planning on running and taking my children?" I exclaim.

   "And you." Hayley confirms. "We had a plan to get you after you got back from fighting Dahlia with Klaus. That's when we would have explained everything."

   "Please?" Aiden pleads before I can reply to Hayley. "Just give me a chance to make it up to you."

   Jackson nods in agreement. So, I tell Aiden to find Davina and ask her if there is anything that can keep the twins from using magic. Something they can wear on them at all times. I tell him to go to the Compound and get the manacles we used on Finn and see if Davina can transfer the same magic to something smaller. Aiden nods and takes off. I turn to Jackson and Hayley when he's gone.