Chapter 19

The loud hammering of a jack hammer sounds throughout the Compound. Elijah has decided to make renovations. I walk out of the study on the ground floor, I'd been reading in the quiet while it lasted, just as Nik and Genevieve walk out of his room. 

   "Elijah!" I call out loud enough he can hear me, even though he's a vampire. "Do we have to have this done at eight in the morning?" I groan.

   "Enough with all the racket!" Nik yells about the same time.

   "Sorry, Kelsey." Elijah nods at me and I shrug. He then turns his attention to Nik. "Is there a problem, brother?"

   "I agreed to a general sprucing up, not a bloody 3-ring circus." Nik exclaims heading down the stairs with Genevieve following.

   "Marcel and his minions abused our home for the better part of a century. Now, you might be content to live in squalor. I'm not."

   "I agree with your brother." Genevieve intercepts. "It's a new era in the French Quarter. This place could use a make-over."

   "Well luckily no one asked your opinion." I glare at her as Elijah smirks in my peripheral vision. "This place is just fine."

   "Do you have a problem?" Genevieve sneers.

   "With you?" I fake innocence. "I'm sorry have I not been transparent enough about that?"

   "You litt--" Genevieve starts to say before Niklaus interrupts her smirking widely at the interaction, while trying to stop a fight between me and Genevieve.

   "Careful, Elijah. When this one agrees with you, it's a sure sign she wants something." Niklaus teases her, causing me to lightly laugh.

   "Actually... I do have a request." Genevieve smiles facing Elijah with Nik a few feet behind her.

   "Shocker." I mutter loud enough for them to hear.

   "I'm told our coven hasn't been able to celebrate feast days in the open since Marcel restricted the use of magic." Genevieve says ignoring me. "Now with the new peace, I'd like that to change."

   "Am I to assume that you have a certain feast day in mind?" Elijah inquires.

   "The fete des benedictions." She answers as the brothers chuckle. "The feast of the blessings. In the past members of the community offered witches gifts in exchange for blessings. We'd like to use it as a forum for introducing our young Harvest Girls to society."

   "So, your coven attempted to destroy my family and you yourself held my siblings in unspeakable torment. And you would like a party for the witches." Elijah replies making Niklaus laugh.

   "I made my amends with your brother." Genevieve says looking back at Nik as he smirks and takes a drink of scotch. "Why don't you think it over?"

   "Okay. First off, Gross." I glare at Nik and Genevieve. I turn to Elijah. "And second and trust me I can't believe I'm saying this." I take a dramatic deep breath. "I agree with Genevieve." I choak out.

   "Really?" Genevieve says skeptically as Elijah and Niklaus look at me in shock. "Why?"

   "You said this festival is for the Harvest Girls." I shrug knowing Davina could use a pick-me-up. Realization crosses everyone's faces.

   "Well, I'll be off." Genevieve says while leaving the courtyard.

   "Oh, don't be such a stiff, Elijah." Niklaus smirks walking up to Elijah. "The tourist love a good festival. Besides, what better way to cement the solidarity than show of faith toward a onetime enemy?"