Chapter 17

Bexley starts crying, waking me up. I groan slightly and sit up, stretching my arms. Up side to being part vampire is no hangover. Nik stirs, but stays asleep making me chuckle. I look around and notice Bexley's small blanket, that she's grown attached to, in the corner on my room. I go and grab it and make my way to the open door of the nursery. Rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, I see Rebekah standing by their crib with her back to me. Confused, I walk in and notice the wolf that was guarding the twin's door passed out on the ground.

I flash my hybrid eyes, immediately knowing something isn't right. "Get away from them." I snarl, charging and yanking her away.

Rebekah falls to the floor and I go for the twins. Before, I can get to them she uses magic and throws me across my room and over my bed. Nik darts up and rushes to the nursery.

"Rebekah, what are you doing?" He questions. Next thing I hear is him screaming in pain.

I get up and start running back into the room. Nik is on the ground holding his head as she gives him an aneurysm. She sees me coming and uses her other hand to start choking me magically. I grip my throat, falling next to Nik. I try to get a breath, but my windpipe is closing. I cough and Nik grunts. He yells and is able to fight off the magic for a second. He swipes his claws at her knocking her back. But, she keeps her hold on him and intensifies it.

She releases and quickly escapes out of the window. As soon as the magic let's up, I jump forward looking in the crib. Bexley and Hope both awake now and, thankfully, unharmed. I pant and regain my breath as Nik puts a hand on my back in comfort.

_________________________

Nik and I stand in the study with Marcel. He had stayed over to keep an eye on Rebekah. However, when she woke up she knocked him out before he could do anything. Nik pulls out the manacles from a chest on a shelf.

"I should stop packing these away." He says approaching Marcel. "There's always one family member or another in need of a good shackling." He passes them to Marcel. "Find Rebekah, or Eva, or whoever the bloody hell that was. Use these to stop her from doing magic. And don't hurt her. The non-psychopathic bits are still my sister."

"I won't be the only one looking for her." Marcel replies as Hayley enters the room. I had texted her what happened and I'm sure the wolf reported it to them, too. "She killed the witch kids. The 24-hour hold that Elijah got the covens to agree to ended at midnight. Every witch in the city is gonna be gunning for her."

"Go to Elijah. Get him to charm his elderly witch into calling off the hunt." Nik tells Hayley.

"And what will you be doing while we do all the dirty work?" She snaps.

"Why attending to the even dirtier work." He answers. "As usual."

"And I'll be with him." I tell her. "If you need me, call, you too Marcel." They nod.

____________________________

Nik and I waited in the ballroom. Neither of us speak. He stays focused on Rebekah's portrait that he painted some time ago and I bounce my leg in anticipation as I sit on the couch. I know he is having doubts about getting Freya's help yesterday. He wants to protect Rebekah the best he can and knowing that whatever is happening to her isn't something he can't fix is weighing on him. Help, isn't something he likes asking for.

"Our sister was quite the beauty." Freya says as she walks do the stairs to join us.

"You said that you could put Rebekah back in her original body." Nik states keeping his back to her. "Do it."

Freya smirks in victory. "Heh. So, you've come to your senses."

"My senses have not faltered." He denies. "They still demand you are not to be trusted." He turns and looks at her as I roll my eyes. "However, circumstances dictates otherwise for now."