Chapter 21

Cami's and Davina's funerals are happening today. Cami's casket will be pulled down the street by horse and buggy, with all her friends and everyone who wants to pay their respects following, just like when her Uncle Kieran passed. Davina's will be at the cemetery with a much smaller group of people. Cami's will last longer than Davina's will, so I plan to go to Davina's first and then meet up with Hayley and Nik after.

   Nik offend to go with me, but I declined. Marcel still places blame on him and today isn't a day for fighting. Besides, Cami was his best friend and that's where he needs to be. Hayley asked Mary to watch the twins, thankfully, so that they weren't around something so sad. Hayley, also, opted to go to Cami's instead and that's okay. 

   I walk into the cemetery, hands clinching my plain knee length black dress at my sides. I focus on my breathing and my heartrate, trying not to cry again. Standing in front of her tomb is Marcel, Vincent, Josh, and Kol. Marcel tries to smile at me as I approach, but it looks more like a grimace. Josh and Vincent nod in greeting and I return it, as I stop next to Kol, who hasn't looked at me.  

   "Even now the words of Ecclesiasticus are ringing in my ears." Vincent starts. "They're saying 'Vengeance, as a lion, shall lie in wait for them.'" 

   I stare at her name engraved on the stone and a few tears stream down my face. Josh steps forward to speak and Kol grabs me hand hesitantly, unsure if I blame him. Which I don't, so I squeeze his hand hoping to provide comfort to the both of us. 

   "A while ago, forever ago, I told Davina a story about my first boyfriend." Josh says. "But what I didn't tell her was that I had never shared that story with anyone else. She was like a sister and a best friend, and I loved her." Josh closes his eyes and swallows hard. "I wish..." Unable to continue, he steps back. 

   Vincent looks at Kol, expectantly. "I'm sorry." His voice breaks. "I can't."

   Marcel wipes his eyes and pulls out a piece of paper from his jacket and unfolds it. He scans over it, before deciding against reading it. He folds it back up and puts it back where he got it. "Words aren't any good. The Mikaelsons need to answer for this. I'm gonna make them answer." He walks forward and puts his hand under her name. "I promise." 

   They all look over at me and I wipe my face. "I've been going over how I could have prevented this. When I left New Orleans back when I first turned, I keep trying to convince myself I should have taken you with me. You wouldn't have been forced into the Harvest, you wouldn't have been hunted by the witches, you wouldn't have had to die to finish the Harvest, you wouldn't have been made Regent and had way too much responsibilities on you shoulders, there would have been no Strix Coven, no feud with the Ancestors, you wouldn't have died... again." I end in frustration and I take a deep breath. "But, then you wouldn't have become the person you were. Stronger, independent, and impossibly brave. She wouldn't have met any of you or Cami." I send a glance to each of them standing with me. "And you all were so incredibly important to her. So, in a way I'm glad she went through all the things she did." I turn my stare back to her name engraved on the concrete. "You ar-- were one of the best people I've ever met and I'm so lucky to have you as my sister. I'm just so sorry I failed you. That, will be the biggest regret of my life. I came back here to find and protect you and this is the second time I've had to watch you die. I never should have left you with Elijah and Freya. I should have known better and not listened when she said it was okay to leave. I-I- This is all my fault." I choke out and walk away.

   "Kelsey." Marcel calls out as he follows after me. I try to ignore him, but he grabs my wrist and spins me around into a hug. "This is not your fault. It's theirs. Davina loved you and you meant everything to her. She wouldn't want you blaming yourself." He says and I hug him back, tears getting on his suit. He pulls away and looks me in the eyes. "Now let's get to Rousseau's."